Why things go into the vault

BangoSkank

Marc,

In your opinion, what is the main reason things that are complete or nearing completion go into the vault instead of being released? I’m thinking of things like the “Better” video, the 2006 tour documentary, The House of Blues show in ’01, the Use Your Illusion documentaries.

Is it Axl’s perfectionism, Beta’s influence, legal constraints from previous members or some variation of all/none of those things?

Thanks.

Marc,

In your opinion, what is the main reason things that are complete or nearing completion go into the vault instead of being released? I’m thinking of things like the “Better” video, the 2006 tour documentary, The House of Blues show in ’01, the Use Your Illusion documentaries.

Is it Axl’s perfectionism, Beta’s influence, legal constraints from previous members or some variation of all/none of those things?

Thanks.

2001 house of blues was filmed?

I know for sure he won't put out anything from 85 to 93 because it has Slash in it. My guess on the newer stuff 2001 2006 is the band has changed and maybe he doesn't want to push stuff that is not up to date with who is in the band now.

i think at this point its very petty not to put anything out due to slash being in it

I know for sure he won't put out anything from 85 to 93 because it has Slash in it. My guess on the newer stuff 2001 2006 is the band has changed and maybe he doesn't want to push stuff that is not up to date with who is in the band now.

i think at this point its very petty not to put anything out due to slash being in it

I'm actually pretty shocked Live Era when it did. I mean, thats 1999. Wounds were still pretty fresh at that point. Yet someone was able to convince Axl enough to put out a live album of the band in their heyday (or at least in their original-ish form, however you want to put it). To me, thats always seemed VERY unlike Axl, since in 1999 it was pretty much set in stone that original GNR was gone for good. Maybe not forever (although its been 15 years since then) but definitely at that time with the release of OMG and the new lineup being imminent. Did that ever bother Axl that he was going back and listening to stuff that Slash played on? Or that he knew he was releasing something that people would go "yeah, thats Slash on guitar!!"?

Marc,

Thanks.

2001 house of blues was filmed?

I thought it was, but I could be wrong. I threw it in just in case.

That makes sense, especially given that he had all current members record over old material as they came in. The only one I don't get is the "Better" video because they still featured Buckethead & Brian.

Edited by BangoSkank

Live era was something the record co made the band do. The band owed them a record.

yes, and axl did his best to screw it up - it could've been 10 times better

Axl would have preferred not to put it out but since is was going to come out anyways, he tried to make it the best with what they had to work with.

what kinds of items are in there that you know of that axl bought just so it wouldn't be released to the public?

Live era was something the record co made the band do. The band owed them a record.

yes, and axl did his best to screw it up - it could've been 10 times better

Axl would have preferred not to put it out but since is was going to come out anyways, he tried to make it the best with what they had to work with.

really?

i guess it didn't work tho as he re recorded lyrics that completly sounded off and the final mixes just seemed shoddy

i think raw bootlegs would've been better?