Red Hot Chili Peppers

Ace Nova

Love them from 1989 to present (minus One Hot Minute, only because I haven't heard it.)

An album that really makes you appreciate real chemistry and the lack of it, and of course the might of John as a musician. I still like it though. It was an honest creative attempt.

One of the greatest bands in history, Venice Queen, Californication, Death of a Martian, Under The Bridge, Don't Forget Me, Brendan's Death Song, Parallel Universe are some of my faves.

Fru's solo work is stellar too, Empyrean is epic.

Always thought Kiedis had a bit of a Prince vibe going on.

Yeah, I love RHCP, they're for sure one of my favorite bands. And I also appreciate every album released until the moment, One Hot Minute is underrated IMO.

Have you guys heard about the new leaks? Some demos/rough mixes from Californication and By The Way:

Californication (Early Version):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2bXrPUGVwc

Fall Water (By The Way Sessions):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbYWcqKgfVU

There's more stuff on that channel.

That Cali demo is completely different from the final version, here's a quote from AK's book about the song creation:

"Back in the studio, things were going well, but the one song that was so important to me was less important to everybody else. That was "Californication." Every time I'd bring it up, everyone would go, "we've got twenty-five other songs recorded. We don't need antoher one." "No, we have to have this." I urged. "This is the anchor of the whole record. It's as good a lyric as I've written in a long time. It has to be a song." I was not letting go. I kept telling John we had to finish it. Meanwhile, the session was winding down and we had only a few days of basic track recording left. In the last moments of recording, John came running into the studio with his new thirty-thousand-dollar ($30k) White Falcon hollow-body guitar. He said, "I've got it! I've got 'Californication'!" He sat down and plucked this incredibly spare yet haunting combination of notes. It was so different from any other approach that we'd taken for the song that I didn't quite hear it. Then he started singing it, and it was at the high end of my range, but it was doable. He taught it to Flea and Chad, and we rehearsed it a couple of times and recorded it. It was such a sensation of relief and gratification, to know that the song didn't end up in the same trash bin as "Quixotic Elixir" and a number of other songs that I had high hopes for."

• Like 2

I've never heard that early version of Californication. I'm prefer the studio version by miles.

I liked IWY quite a bit but felt it could have been trimmed down a bit. I also own the IMY b-sides and there are a few gems there as well.

Empyrean is fantastic and I really like Shadows

Collide (minus some of the noise filler) but I haven't liked anything post-Empyrean.