Red Hot Chili Peppers

Ace Nova

I'm a huge fan of RHCP! My favorite albums from them are "The Uplift Mofo Party Plan," "One Hot Minute," "Blood Sugar Sex Magik," "Mother's Milk," and "Californication." I can't decide on a favorite guitarist though, because out of their "main" ones, I like them all, they each brought something pretty good.

Edited by Nulla Lex Ink.
  • Like 1

I'm a casual fan. Listen to their greatest hits regularly, favoring songs from Californication and By the Way. Stadium Arcadium was huge when I was in high school so in pretty familiar with that one.

The song "my friends" is pretty good from one hot minute. I didn't care for anything else from that era but in the context of AK's life at the time, it's pretty interesting.

Loved the til' One Hot Minute, after that it has gone more and more downhill by each album. IMO. It has just gone to soft and the moments that they seem to try to funk it up like back in the day seem forced and dull because of that.

Last week I listened to I'm With You and it was great, it's really a grower. Anyway Open/Close, Strange Man and Long Progression should've been on the album instead of Annie Wants A Baby, Police Station and Dance, Dance, Dance. I think the next album will be way better than IWY, Josh improved a lot and got more confident since the beginning of the tour judging by his live performances, solos and jams. He'll never be as good as John, but I like him.

Josh covering Angel by Jimi Hendrix:

I Could Have Lied with a great solo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcsEHxLLnWQ

Seeing your avatar image made me remember something. Didn't Buckethead audition to be with the band awhile back? After Frusciante left for the first time? Now that would have been something to hear.

Yeah. I think Flea said they couldn't really groove with him.

Exactly, he did an audition around '92-'93:

12) Did Buckethead audition for the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

Yes. One journalists account reported that the lead singer picked Buckethead up at the airport and found out that Buckethead had not heard any of their tunes. The audition proceeded anyway, and Buckethead played in his inimitable fashion (i.e., robot dance, hyper-metal licks etc...) and when he finished the band applauded raucously. Flea confirmed that they auditioned BH saying that he was "sweet and normal" but they wanted someone "...who could also kick a groove."

Source: http://bucketheadland.com/faq/index.html#anchor1780993

Such a shame, they could be great together.

Seeing your avatar image made me remember something. Didn't Buckethead audition to be with the band awhile back? After Frusciante left for the first time? Now that would have been something to hear.

Exactly, he did an audition around '92-'93:

12) Did Buckethead audition for the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

Yes. One journalists account reported that the lead singer picked Buckethead up at the airport and found out that Buckethead had not heard any of their tunes. The audition proceeded anyway, and Buckethead played in his inimitable fashion (i.e., robot dance, hyper-metal licks etc...) and when he finished the band applauded raucously. Flea confirmed that they auditioned BH saying that he was "sweet and normal" but they wanted someone "...who could also kick a groove."

Source: http://bucketheadland.com/faq/index.html#anchor1780993

Such a shame, they could be great together.

Glad I wasn't dreaming all of this then, haha. I've been wondering where I heard the phrase "kick a groove," and I guess it came from that. I don't understand how anyone can't have chemistry with a player like Buckethead though, but oh well. We got "One Hot Minute," and I'm happy with that album, but I can't help but wonder what could have been.

If there's one thing I really like about Josh it's his backing vocals. Some mystical sounding shit right there. Really adds to certain songs in a way John's couldn't.

Have you listened to his other project, Dot Hacker? He's on lead vocals, there's some great stuff there.

I'm checking it out, this is so fucking good

• Like 2

Brief personal reviews of RHCP's discography:

RHCP- you can tell these guys are just starting out as musicians...

Freaky Styley- very funky, but not quite there in terms of musical quality, but still has some pretty good songs

The Uplift Mofo Party Plan- great album full of the funk the Peppers became famous for, my favorite album of theirs pre-BSSM

Mother's Milk- very good album, and introduces Frusciante on lead, but I still prefer Uplift Mofo Party Plan

BSSM- in my opinion, the Pinnacle album of their careers, and one of my favorite albums of all-time. You'll be hard pressed to find a bad song on the whole album

One Hot Minute- criminally underrated album, "My Friends" is a top 5 RHCP song of all-time

Californication- first half of tracks are near flawless, but after "Easily", the tracks become hit-or-miss

By The Way- amazing collection of melodic songs

Stadium Arcadium- pretty good album with a lot of pretty good songs, but I always feel as if there's something missing when I listen to this album...

I'm With You- losing Frusciante hurts, but the Peppers still create some solid tracks on this album

• Like 1

I'm With You was good, RHCP's sense of melody remained in tact. The big difference was that the guitar was no longer as much in the foreground of the songs as they were with Frusciante. Frusciante is in your face while Josh makes produces soundscapes in the background.

It was an honest attempt. A start of something cool. But you know, I think John was THE songwriter in RHCP. I remain optimistic for the next album, but I don't expect the same quality from them now that John is gone to do his thing.

But you know, I think John was THE songwriter in RHCP.

I think that's selling Kiedis and Flea short.

It's not that. They're both talented, especially Flea, but John is just a channel of sounds. His pool of ideas is endless, and he's just an exceptional talent. It's more about what he's got, and less about what they don't.

Edited by Rovim