Red Hot Chili Peppers

Ace Nova

But you know, I think John was THE songwriter in RHCP.

I think that's selling Kiedis and Flea short.

It's not that. They're both talented, especially Flea, but John is just a channel of sounds. His pool of ideas is endless, and he's just an exceptional talent. It's more about what he's got, and less about what they don't.

I love John's contributions to the band as much as the next Chili's fan, but I think songs like Monarchy of Roses and The Adventures Of Raindance Maggie are quintessential RHCP and prove that they don't necessarily need John's songwriting. In terms of lead guitarists being primary songwriters, it's not like The Smiths without Johnny Marr... They were a credible band before John and I believe they'll continue to do vital work in his absence.

But you know, I think John was THE songwriter in RHCP.

I think that's selling Kiedis and Flea short.

It's not that. They're both talented, especially Flea, but John is just a channel of sounds. His pool of ideas is endless, and he's just an exceptional talent. It's more about what he's got, and less about what they don't.

I love John's contributions to the band as much as the next Chili's fan, but I think songs like Monarchy of Roses and The Adventures Of Raindance Maggie are quintessential RHCP and prove that they don't necessarily need John's songwriting. In terms of lead guitarists being primary songwriters, it's not like The Smiths without Johnny Marr... They were a credible band before John and I believe they'll continue to do vital work in his absence.

I think that's selling Frusciante short.

I would never call myself a big RHCP fan. I enjoy some of their music, and I give them props, but for the most part I'm a classic rock guy, Zeppelin and Stones type stuff. They don't fit that, but I know their hits and enjoy those and think some are truly excellent songs.

The one exception to this (and I'm about to go off, so be prepared) is the Stadium Arcadium album. For some reason, I have listened to that entire record. Either its because it was so popular when I was in high school or because somewhere down the line I heard enough that I sought out the whole album. But whatever the case is, I know it and I have long said it is one of the greatest albums in the last 20 years IMO. Don't know what it is about it but just something clicks. Each song has great lyrics and melody and it sounds like they are doing it so naturally. I listen to it probably once a year and everytime I think "its not possible every song is amazing." And then once I get through the whole album I realize that there isn't one filler track for me. And this is a double album in the modern rock era. 2 CDs packed to the brim with 28 songs strong. Honestly, I'll go out and say its the greatest double album of all time, just for the sheer length and fact that in all those songs there isn't one I don't like. Even classic double albums, which are usually the length of one Stadium Arcadium CD, there are tracks I don't love that much but they are part of the record. Don't know if there's anything I'd erase from Stadium Arcadium. My favorite by far is Wet Sand, but others are Strip My Mind, Especially In Michigan, Hard To Concentrate, She Looks To Me, Make You Feel Better, and of course the hits.

So yeah, not a huge RHCP fan, but that album for some strange reason means a lot to me and is worthy enough of their greatness, even though thats probably an unpopular opinion. Maybe because I'm not really a fan that album feels so fresh to me? I've heard the others and don't like them as much. Too funky for me. I do think Frusciante is a key to that band. He's the guitarist that was in the band as I grew up so I just know him as essential. And he's an incredible guitar player solo and with them so I just know he's a talent. I remember hearing Rain Dance Maggie from the new album on the radio and thinking "whoa, they still have it!" I thought it was excellent. Then Monarchy Of Roses came next and I thought "this sounds like such RHCP By The Numbers it sucks." Never heard the album, but liked that first single.

• Like 1

Some news about the next album:
Red Hot Chili Peppers' guitarist Josh Klinghoffer has spoken about the band's new album, revealing that work has begun on "28 or 30 songs".

Speaking to Noise 11, Klinghoffer revealed that the Chili Peppers have been working in the studio despite not yet having a producer on board.

"The Chili Peppers are working every day writing,” said Klinghoffer. "We have produced a more elaborate demo stage into the writing, at least more than the band has before. Flea owns a really great studio now. I’ve been recording and writing with the Chili Peppers every day."

Klinghoffer added, "We've written musically 30 songs now. We sort of did this last time, which was my first album. We piled a shitload of stuff on Anthony and he actually came through. He wrote lyrics to 50 songs in the end. We recorded 50 last time. We released an extra 17 that didn’t go on the album. We are conscious to not do that again but we are already up to 28 or 30 songs."

Should Rick Rubin not join the project, it will mark the group's first album without their long-time producer since 'Mother's Milk', which was released in 1989. “That is sort of up in the air still," said Klinghoffer. "Normally he becomes involved in the arranging process but he hasn’t yet been which is good for me. I like it the way we are doing it so far. There has not been an official producer named yet so in the absence of that you never know what could happen."

In May, drummer Chad Smith revealed that the band had been working on a new album. "This is my favourite time, being creative, coming up with ideas," said Smith. "You go there at 11 o'clock with something that wasn't a piece of music, everyone collaborates on something, three hours later you've got something that's a piece of music that wasn't there before."

Source: http://www.nme.com/news/red-hot-chili-peppers/79208?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=rhcpnewalbum

PS: Rubin didn't produce Mother's Milk, BSSM was his first work with them.

If Rick really stays out, I'll expect something really interesting and different from previous releases. Looking forward to listen to this stuff.

• Like 1

Yertle the Turtle is still a great song to smoke crack to.

Fun fact about that song if you haven't heard it before:

The voice in the intro going "Looook att thattt turtle gooo, brooo" was producer George Clinton's coke dealer, whom he had owed money to and told him he would pay him back by giving him a spot on an album.

• 2 weeks later...

New leaks from Californication sessions, two unreleased songs and a lot of demos, Mommasan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AE_vzkH6NI

Tellin' A Lie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P6ha7iwFGA

John played a bit of Tellin' A Lie during Don't Forget Me outro live at Slane Castle 2003, 4:15:

There's a lot of stuff on this channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RHCPtv6/videos

Looks like more songs will leak over the next few days/weeks, like the Greatest Hits sessions stuff, probably including studio versions of Mini-Epic (Kill For Your Country), Rolling Sly Stone and Leverage Of Space. There's also a song called Circle Of The Noose that was recorded for their second album with Dave Navarro and it was dropped when Dave left and Frusciante came back.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I think they really tried with I'm with you. There were actual songs there. A few good ones even. But to me it was like the first pancake. I'm interested to know what the next album will sound like. They talked about this themselves, how the next one will probably be better so hopefully it will. But no one can replace Frusciante. Flea even said that in an interview. But they can still do something cool together cause all the members share musical chemistry imo.