Members of New GnR leaving and how much they hurt the band

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Before Duff and Axl became friendly again, I would have said Tommy, but now It's probably Bumble.

I think when he lost Bucket it was a devastating blow to what he tried to do musically. Robin was almost as big of a loss to Guns as Bucket imo. Perhaps just as much, cause he probably wrote a shitload of unheard material, but going by what we have now, Bucket was the biggest loss. He could have been an icon like Slash. He had the unique persona and the rare talent to pull that shit off.

And btw, Axl didn't lose Paul. Not really.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I'm surprised by the amount of people saying DJ leaving would hurt the band most, when 9/10 GnR fans bash him. :shrugs:

The thing is, when you think about it, the two doesn't really affect each other much. I mean DJ is apparently Axl's go-to guy, so if he goes, I think Axl's motivation to do anything related to GNR may go down further than if anyone else left.

Hard to choose between Robin and Bucket. I think Robin leaving was a huge impact specially in terms of the live experience and songwriting. However, I think Bucket gave an unique sound to the band and his contribution was huge despite the short time he was in. I voted for Bucket.

From the current band, I think Ron's contribution to the band hasn't been what I expected. Live, he can replicate the old solos in a beautiful way, but his tone doesn't add that little thing that Bucket gave on his time. On studio, I think Ron's composing orientations are too far from Axl's so I don't think he would be that much of a loss.

I voted Tommy, since he's (as I see it) kind of a leader and what sticks it all together between a band that has very poor comunication and in the absence of Axl. Musically, I think he's a great composer and there should be lots of great tunes besides Going Down that we could hear someday.

Dj would also be a huge loss for the band. I think he was a great choice from Axl and nowadays has become a very important part of the band, mainly as a marketing weapon. However, I'm willing to hear anything he could write/compose with Axl, since I love his previous work and I think he can be a huge contribution to the band in those aspects

Edited by BreakDown2014

I voted Bucket/Dj*

*It's actually Bumble, in terms of progress, but unfortunately Axl doesn't do anything until he wants to and Bumbles desire to release new music doesn't really matter. Dj is apparently Axl's go-to guy, so losing him might very well kill whatever further [than the CD sessions] desire he has to make music.

What former member of New GnR hurt the band the most in terms of progress, public perception, and overall sound, and what current member would hurt the band the most if they left.

1st: voted Robin Finck, because we got DJ Ashba... plus Axl really likes Robin. Bucket is a close call, but i don't think Buckethead even wants to be in GNR forever in the first place

2nd: BBF his departure will probably cemented the nostalgia label on Axl and GNR for the rest of his life

On a sidenote: i really like 4tus so if he leaves, then i will stop following this band with a replacement of a replacement of a replacements etc...

Edited by Crash Diet

Buckethead because he's virtually a guitar genius, in my opinion and improved Chinese Democracy so much with his work. Bumblefoot because he's the only guy in the band who didn't BS the fans and seemed to be the only one who wanted to change things up and seemed also to be the only one to get through to Axl, slightly. He also has a great personality and great on guitar.

Robin leaving (and DJ joining) pretty much pulled the plug on my enthusiasm for Axl's GNR.

The key players in exciting new material left years ago, I hardly imagine the wheels would fall off if Tommy left or Pitman wasn't there to prance around with a tambourine during Paradise City or whatever.

Much respect to Ron for being such a nice bloke etc etc, but he's just a touring guitarist, as evidenced by the fact he has written NOTHING with Axl during his tenure with the band.

They could all leave now and it wouldn't make a lick of difference, Axl could just hire another lot of session players to tour the greatest hits.

As for the "but if Ron leaves who is going to play Shackler's or TWAT live?" line I don't think those songs not getting played anymore would be such a bad thing.

Edited by DR DOOM

Slash of course lol. Why isn't he on the list?

Edit: I see it's only New GnR, but in all honesty, Slash is the only member that the general public are crying out to rejoin the band. No departure since has really mattered or has come close to 'hurting' the band.

Edited by Bumblefeet

Bucket and Bumble.

IMO Bucket was way more important than Robin. Robin made a good job on Better and TIL but when I think of his interpretations of the classic solos I'm thankfully that he is gone. Just horrible.

Bumble does a good job replacing Bucket by handle his solos. Thats not easy I guess

Edited by Free Bird

Bucket and Bumble.

Robin was a stain on the GNR legacy IMO, easily the worst professional guitar player (if you can call him that) that I've witnessed. Surprised he's even been given consideration in this thread.

Edited by mcmurray

Bucket and Robin leaving Nu is kinda like Izzy and Slash leaving Guns. When Bucket left it was like, "Oh no. Is it all falling apart?" and when Robin left it was, "Yeah. Fuck. It's over."

I agree. Bucket, Finck and Fortus was my favorite guitar line-up post old-Guns.

I didn't think it was over when they left though. I just liked that particular line-up better.

Bumble might have a slight edge over Bucket when it comes to technique, but in my opinion Bucket has the best of all worlds when it comes to guitar playing. He can be extremely soulful in his playing.

Had Guns decided to go with two guitar players, I think Bucket and Fortus would have done an excellent job.

Maybe the third guitarist leaving will open Axl's eyes as to what could be the issue here... 14 songs and 13 years just doesn't cut it for serious musicians who intend on taking on the challenge of stamping something new on GNR's tapestry. Axl deserves his success but it's not down to anything he's done recently as much as I love Chinese Democracy it was a potential springboard, if he didn't have a goldmine of association to fall back on when it seems inspiration isn't being sought after, he'd have a hard time avoiding making music..