Axl's Vocal change through the years - a video summary

So if this has been posted before please delete this thread (searched for it, didn't find it).

Came across this today on youtube. Thought it was an interesting comparison on Axl's changing vocals through the years:

Certainly some years are underserved while others benefited from better recordings. He doesn't sound as good in the 2009 Japan video (though it might be from Taipei) as he does later in 2010 during the Canadian tour.

Anyway, thought others might find it interesting to watch. It made me feel bad for those of you who weren't around or weren't fans during the 87-93 period. What a beast of a voice and performer. Definitely up there with the all time greats!

To me during the 2006 tour Axl sounded better and was more consistent than another tour they have even done from 87-now.

The version of Nightrain the video shows from AM Ring is IMHO the best version live of Nightrain.

Also IMHO the AM Ring show is right up there in the top 5 best shows that GNR have ever put on. Axl was on fire that night and so was the band, BBF solo at the end of Nightrain was awesome he made that song into his own that night by that I mean he keep with the traditional guitar work and put his own twisted to it which worked really well.

I know some will disagree...

I was around when GNR came out and seen them 7 times from 87-92 Didn't get a chance to go in 93 and have seen New GNR 4 times.

Edited by bigcountry
  • Like 1

I agree Big Country, although i'd say 2010 is far more consistent across whole shows and the whole period than 06-07, plus he had more control and was even closer in overall performance to his younger self.

But yes, Rock Am Ring is up there. And so is literally every single show on the European 2010 tour. You can pull out any Madagascar, TIL, SoD, Rosie....basically anything, and they are full power, full rasp, total control, balls to the wall. There are early 90s shows, including and especially the officially released Tokyo ones, where he sounds shot to pieces and his straining ridiculously hard to screech high notes out: RQ from that set is unlistenable to me.

For me the biggest difference though is that back then everything about his performances was coming from a place of deep anger, hurt, confusion, resentment etc and that's where all the insane sprinting, screeching, smashing and whirling etc came from. Wheras in the last decade he's largely been a lot more chilled and isn't going out there to self-flagellate over all his family and relationship shit.

Ones voice gets smoother and croonier as you get older

It was interesting to listen to, but nothing devastating in terms of the changes to the song as is it sung live.

You could hear when the vocal coaching kicked in and the different breathing early on.

For me the biggest difference though is that back then everything about his performances was coming from a place of deep anger, hurt, confusion, resentment etc and that's where all the insane sprinting, screeching, smashing and whirling etc came from. Wheras in the last decade he's largely been a lot more chilled and isn't going out there to self-flagellate over all his family and relationship shit.

This. I will always find the 87-93 period the best, because his performances were so intense. That's why I fell in love with GNR in general and Axl in particular. There's nothing that will ever top that for me, although I still enjoy GNR today. That's why it's so sad we are left with so little music afterwards. Of course he's not the same man he used to be almost 30 years ago, of course he can't perform the same songs anymore with the same anger he had back then. If only he had more newer songs to sing with the same passion he had in those days. Look at how he sang Prostitute in Vegas.

• Like 2

This. I will always find the 87-93 period the best, because his performances were so intense. That's why I fell in love with GNR in general and Axl in particular. There's nothing that will ever top that for me, although I still enjoy GNR today. That's why it's so sad we are left with so little music afterwards. Of course he's not the same man he used to be almost 30 years ago, of course he can't perform the same songs anymore with the same anger he had back then. If only he had more newer songs to sing with the same passion he had in those days. Look at how he sang Prostitute in Vegas.

Agreed. Sure he sounded completely different to the old days but the passion he sings different songs with is the same.

What this video made me realise is that while Axl's voice might have ups & downs (06 is a highlight), the backing band has steadily deteriorated... In some vids it's hard to recognize the song really, too much form, not enough content.

In terms of the whole performance it's hard for me to understand how can you rate any show higher than those from 87-88? The start of that vid, even those few minutes, instantly make me I-SO-BADLY-WANT-TO-BE-THERE!!! :drool: Raw power, sleazy, dangerous, intoxicating, addicting - I could watch that stuff on and on... '91 and eveyrthing after looks blah, who cares in comparison. I could never get into the details (which solo was good which not, if Axl had full rasp on or not) if the performance as a whole doesn't grab me. That's just not important. I guess I'll go watch ritz again tonight... :shades: