the story behind the song "Catcher in the Rye"

"Catcher in the Rye" is the seventh track on the album "Chinese Democracy", released in 2008, and was written by Axl Rose and guitarist Paul Tobias.

The title is a reference to the novel of the same name writer JD Salinger, launched in 1951, and here in Brazil was translated to "The Catcher in the Rye." The book chronicles an end-of-week in the life of Holden Caulfield, a boy of seventeen coming from a wealthy family in New York, who after being expelled from Pencey College (boarding school for boys) for his poor academic performance, settles in Edmont Hotel decadent and your time is largely characterized by drunkenness, anxiety and alienation, reaching to catch a pimp because of a night with a prostitute that did not happen. Caulfield became the idol of a generation of young rebels and counted, including the boy Robert Zimmerman, future Bob Dylan, ran away from home sometimes inspired him.

1408288978.jpg

In 1992, Green Day released the album "Kerplunk" and brought a range inspired by that book called "Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?".

In the movie "Conspiracy Theory", released in 1997, Mel Gibson plays the role of a psychotic cab driver who thinks everyone is against him and has a compulsion to buy every day the same book: "The Catcher in the Rye" .

In 1999, the guitarist of the band Queen, Brian May, collaborated with Guns N 'Roses in "Catcher in the Rye", but nine years later, shortly before the release of "Chinese Democracy", May was disappointed when he discovered that his contribution had been removed from the final version of the song, replaced by guitar parts new members.

Mark David Chapman, the killer of John Lennon, carried this book with him on the day he committed the crime, and besides having brought the book to Lennon "autograph" shortly before the shooting, said the work would have served as inspiration for the kill musician.

Another curious fact is that the gunman who tried to kill Ronald Reagan in 1981, said the same thing, namely, that the book would have taken the inspiration to kill the president, and Robert John Bardo, the killer of model and actress Rebecca Schaeffer , which also carried the book with him when killed.

http://whiplash.net/materias/curiosidades/208599-gunsnroses.html

• Like 1

I had to read The Catcher in the Rye for school. I don't remember anything about it except it bored me to tears.

I prefer mysteries or horror books to books written by authors that are supposed to be so great and yet to me their books suck.

I had to also read Hemingway's " The Sun also Rises". OMG! What a bore!

I had to read The Catcher in the Rye for school. I don't remember anything about it except it bored me to tears.

I prefer mysteries or horror books to books written by authors that are supposed to be so great and yet to me their books suck.

I read "Catcher in the Rye" last year, my brother owned the book and lend it to me, I have to admit I wasn't all that impressed with it and found reading it a rather underwhelming experience. I guess in the context of when it was written and some of the themes and behavior it deals with it set itself apart at the time.

Axl Rose on Catcher:

For me the song is inspired by what's referred to sometimes as Holden Caulfield syndrome. I feel there's a possibility that how the writing is structured with the thinking of the main character could somehow reprogram for lack of a better word some who may be a bit more vulnerable, with a skewed way of thinking and tried to allow myself to go what may be there or somewhat close during the verses. I'd think for most those lines are enjoyed as just venting, blowing off steam, humor or some type of entertainment where it may be how others seriously live in their minds.

The bridge b4 the solo is an artistic interpretation of a institutionalized mind. The outro is a tribute to Lennon and an indictment of the author for writing what i feel is utter garbage and I agree whole heartedly that it should be discontinued as required reading in schools. That's my take, I could be completely wrong, I do realize that the song and title could have the next poor soul reading the book and feeling inspired to make an unfortunate statement. So there's the catch I guess.

When I came up with the focus, I got a call from the director of Imagine wanting a bunch of money to make a documentary, had a guy sending me strange packages about Lennon and serial killers etc and the web started calling me Salinger w/no one knowing what I was writing. I figured I was on the right track at least for a song.

Catcher in the rye is a fucking great book, Holden is a comedic genius, he's stuck inside his strange but somewhat noble world, he's full of contradictions and the little details as opposed to the Big Picture but he's no dense brick, the two best moments are his description of the museum and the catcher reference of course, absolute beauty contrasted with the crazy realism inside the surreal vacuum of the city. It's certainly a hell of a goddam book, original and packs a punch even though it is a meandering swamp. The subtle things are what gives it the dynamite for me.

I also think the song is stunning, it really manages to capture the lore surrounding Chapman, a crazy would be assassin whose mind has deteriorated and remoulded into a delusion so powerfully reflected by the song progression that you almost feel it's Holden's dark shadow... also fits with the ending of the book, where if Holden did not receive that help he might have been pushed overboard eventually.

Chapman never asked Lennon to sign CITR if I remember, he pulled CITR out when he calmly waited for the police to arrive. It was Double Fantasy he signed, here's the rather unnerving pic;

B6DF85096.jpg

Edited by RandallFlagg
  • Like 1

The most interesting theory about CITR, the book, is that it's really all about sexual abuse. Salinger was abused as a boy (the theory goes), and Holden Caufield, in the way he sees the world, and the odd things he says, is really how Salinger remembers that time in his own life.

It's of course all speculation. The main thing the theory has going for it are the little odd sort of 'throwaway' lines in Holden's mental dialogue - just odd little things here and there.

The other "evidence", would be Salinger's life. The recluse stuff. Why did he stop writing? Was he like "Nobody got CITR. I give up."? There's a lot of speculation about his personal life too.

Sometimes things come to be by strange, seeming "coincidences". "Synchronicities" to those who ascribe meaning to them. Axl thought he was sexually abused (does he still. I don't know). Then there are the stories/accusations of Stephanie and Erin. Not saying I believe them, or don't believe them, but the stories are there.

Edited by Brunzopolis

What's interesting about the song is how the lyrics in some way could be a mood that Axl has or the audience relate to but on the other hand it's actually a more objective third person character in the verses.

That is the problem with the book. In the way it's taught as a straight story. Teachers try to show that Holden is like their students and look what happens. When in many ways Salinger is poking fun at Holden. When your a kid you have your quirky things that are attempts at individuality, like a weird hat or rat tail but when older you look back amused and sentimental.

It's kind of a beautiful character study, ambiguous and romantic. It's not meant to be a bible of rebellion. In that way it seems hard for a kid or even 20 something to get that kind of take.

Teachers just use it as an easy way to show how symbolism in writing. What does that hat represent to Holden?

The fact that Salinger often got published in the New Yorker tells you his audience is adults.

I mean if you think about it it's like giving a book about how a soldier dies in a war to someone being sent overseas to fight. They go to war thinking they will die. Giving teenagers a book about a rebellious teenager and expecting them to see the subtleties is extremely optimistic.

I like how the song is set up by No Quarter, it's like setting the tone in this dark trippy way for audience to get into the song in a subjective way.

Honestly for me I have a little of a Holden experience, everyone feels like that but then Axl is warning you to get away from it, then it gets away from you and Axl mourning Lennon. I'm never really sure what happens in the song. But it's kind of hypnotic.

• Like 2

What's interesting about the song is how the lyrics in some way could be a mood that Axl has or the audience relate to but on the other hand it's actually a more objective third person character in the verses.

That is the problem with the book. In the way it's taught as a straight story. Teachers try to show that Holden is like their students and look what happens. When in many ways Salinger is poking fun at Holden. When your a kid you have your quirky things that are attempts at individuality, like a weird hat or rat tail but when older you look back amused and sentimental.

It's kind of a beautiful character study, ambiguous and romantic. It's not meant to be a bible of rebellion. In that way it seems hard for a kid or even 20 something to get that kind of take.

Teachers just use it as an easy way to show how symbolism in writing. What does that hat represent to Holden?

The fact that Salinger often got published in the New Yorker tells you his audience is adults.

I mean if you think about it it's like giving a book about how a soldier dies in a war to someone being sent overseas to fight. They go to war thinking they will die. Giving teenagers a book about a rebellious teenager and expecting them to see the subtleties is extremely optimistic.

I like how the song is set up by No Quarter, it's like setting the tone in this dark trippy way for audience to get into the song in a subjective way.

Honestly for me I have a little of a Holden experience, everyone feels like that but then Axl is warning you to get away from it, then it gets away from you and Axl mourning Lennon. I'm never really sure what happens in the song. But it's kind of hypnotic.

It's a reclusive experience at the start and the middle of the song for me and then it turns. Then it's more inclusive, it opens itself up like Imagine kinda. Like Axl gives you a little of that Lennon mourning, not just to teach, but also to highlight how shitty, wrong, or major it was. and then it's kinda bitter, but like Axl is saying there is an ideal and it's not me but I've seen it in him. That part is still difficult for me to understand, and I seem to always come up with a different dead end. Seems hopeless, like no one will ever get over the loss.

the "all alone" part is very mood driven you could say. I imagine it like a white room and it's all insane and totally unaware to what is too scary to look at. I don't know. This fuckin' song.

• Like 2

I also read CITR for school and liked it, but I'll reread it, because I tend to forget what I read, especially after all this time. I read The Sun Also Rises just two months ago actually :)

It's definitely difficult to get a clear take, I think Axl actually said something like it's not something you're meant to get. It's not clear or airtight. It's kind of a shifting, moving meaning maybe even for Axl as part of him had to get into the mind set of the syndrome sufferer, maybe that's not as hard as we think. Then there's our interpretation of the song, I think most would on first take just see it as Axl complaining about something, in some ways that could be inclusive in the verses, if you have sympathy for his point of view, which is a misinterpretation but still happens to me. Axl and the fans against the world type of thing. Some critics just see it as Axl identifying with Holden. It's easily misunderstood. Maybe like One in a Million was. You've got to know the cinematic lyric style Axl is using. not unlike Paradise City lyrically the way it moves around different perspectives. "Not like you (Salinger) and unlike me (Axl)" seems to be a way to say Lennon was the special one that Salinger took away. Whether the point of the song should be more clear is hard to say, the outro tribute is really the crux of the song but the vast majority is kind of like the exploitation of the syndrome sufferer, early on it's a struggle or mapping out of the territory but it's easy to start enjoying it. And live Axl points to himself when he's singing as the syndrome sufferer. In Vegas the crowd are waving their hands in the air like they just don't care. It's like the most epic GNR Lies-style cover of Hey Jude ever. The more you think you understand it the less it makes sense.

Very bad ass post. I feel like there should be a book written about the meaning of the song. It's weird, cause after I've read what Axl thought of the book, and I knew he thought it was trash, and then listened again to the song, it's like, Axl put the victim thing at the center, and then it's like everybody's a victim: of insanity, or cause they're unaware, or being used, but getting into the mind of the syndrome sufferer should be fairly easy for Axl like you've said, cause many of the same problems caused him pain too, caused many people pain, but it's also a way for him to identify enough with it so he can move and approach it from another angle, which is the outro. His take on the influence Lennon had on the world or some shit.

It's interesting how Axl is capable of switching channels so he can have a bird's eye view on what the fuck happened there, and then he kinda rants and mourns that shit.

I don't know if Axl really hates the book. It seems like it touched him in a way, maybe in a disturbing way and the negative influence the book may have woke something strong enough in him that he found a way to misinterpret it correctly to himself.

A crazy person is trying to cast his judgement on "normal" and less crazy people. Isn't that one of the themes of Catcher? Not sure. He's also reminding others what's ordinary and what is not and who is and who isn't, and why.

To be continued I suppose. When you really think about it, we've only had 6 or 7 years to think about this song. I need at least 7 more to really get started. :confused:

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

It's kind of like OIAM in that after so long you can get it but then in another way not really. I suppose because although you look for an objective explanation you really are looking at a subjective set of lyrics and its hard to make out from what pov Axl is singing. You'd guess from the heart but then he tells you otherwise. There's so many Axls that you could imagine he's all povs.

That's the thing with the book it does also have different interpretations. But beyond Holden as a character it also has a message from the author. Some people like that message, like Holden speaks the truth. But does he or is he just the archetypal adolescent?

So between the grey areas of both texts you can get lost looking for meaning. It would make a trippy video if they had chopper money to make it.

• Like 1

Axl Rose on Catcher:

For me the song is inspired by what's referred to sometimes as Holden Caulfield syndrome. I feel there's a possibility that how the writing is structured with the thinking of the main character could somehow reprogram for lack of a better word some who may be a bit more vulnerable, with a skewed way of thinking and tried to allow myself to go what may be there or somewhat close during the verses. I'd think for most those lines are enjoyed as just venting, blowing off steam, humor or some type of entertainment where it may be how others seriously live in their minds.

The bridge b4 the solo is an artistic interpretation of a institutionalized mind. The outro is a tribute to Lennon and an indictment of the author for writing what i feel is utter garbage and I agree whole heartedly that it should be discontinued as required reading in schools. That's my take, I could be completely wrong, I do realize that the song and title could have the next poor soul reading the book and feeling inspired to make an unfortunate statement. So there's the catch I guess.

When I came up with the focus, I got a call from the director of Imagine wanting a bunch of money to make a documentary, had a guy sending me strange packages about Lennon and serial killers etc and the web started calling me Salinger w/no one knowing what I was writing. I figured I was on the right track at least for a song.

I cringe so much every time I read that.

It's kind of like OIAM in that after so long you can get it but then in another way not really. I suppose because although you look for an objective explanation you really are looking at a subjective set of lyrics and its hard to make out from what pov Axl is singing. You'd guess from the heart but then he tells you otherwise. There's so many Axls that you could imagine he's all povs.

That's the thing with the book it does also have different interpretations. But beyond Holden as a character it also has a message from the author. Some people like that message, like Holden speaks the truth. But does he or is he just the archetypal adolescent?

So between the grey areas of both texts you can get lost looking for meaning. It would make a trippy video if they had chopper money to make it.

Wait, but what is your subjective explanation/guess? do you have an accurate/new one? It's like I didn't even read your post, but I did, I'm just not satisfied with what I think Axl thinks it is.

First Axl's explanation kinda ruined it for me, but now I'm glad he shared that, but it also feels like it's just a small piece of the puzzle, and I think there is a puzzle cause the way Axl writes... it mostly does have a very defined idea and opinion. I don't know if Holden should be taken seriously like you take an adult seriously (even if I usually don't)

but let's say Salinger's message is accepted, and also that Holden reflects a huge part of Salinger's view on the world and people and maybe himself. Now back to the song: if there's so many Axl's, which fits with the sometimes I wanna kill, sometimes I wanna die, isn't it just the Axl standard? we need a reunion of enough pieces of his views and then I'm naturally reducing it to Axl is also kinda like a child, maybe not like Holden, but this is where they connect: Axl's obssesed with liars, lies, and the truth, exposing it and shit, and Salinger probably had some of that as well. Hmmm... I really don't know.

You become blind as you grow old and life, sanity, and reality gets in the way of seeing that it's all mostly shit, and what is pure should be protected at all costs. That's crazy, but life is crazy as well. I hope there is one more song like Catcher on CD ll, but I don't think so. It's really unique, like the book.

Axl Rose on Catcher:

Fucking hater. The Oh My God open letter, Catcher spoiler, and Riad gangsta snitch "someone I knew was a weapon lord" reveal are the holy trilogy of written Axl rants. :max:

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Axl Rose on Catcher:

Fucking hater. The Oh My God open letter, Catcher spoiler, and Riad gangsta snitch "someone I knew was a weapon lord" reveal are the holy trilogy of written Axl rants. :max:

An artist indicting another artist for the 'message' or whatever of his art is about as bad as it gets. Especially when that first artist is Axl Rose and that second artist is a real artist. :lol:

Axl Rose on Catcher:

An artist indicting another artist for the 'message' or whatever of his art is about as bad as it gets. Especially when that first artist is Axl Rose and that second artist is a real artist. :lol:

Nah, I think Axl is a real artist. What is a real artist anyway? it's a person that expresses himself well. A real artist says what's on his mind, even if it means criticizing a more popular or respected artists. Catcher's outro alone is proof to me Axl is a real artist. Artist.

I guess what I meant was that the way the song was designed/structured as Axl explained it compared with multiple uniformed subjective takes of each listener. Depending on your take of the book and Axl himself.

The question is does it work as Axl set it up. The kind of psychedelic Beatlesy Mansonesque chiming of the guitars and piano with Axls syndrome sufferer lyrics. That's why the music is the way it is. Whether it changes enough for Axls chorus. Maybe a metal band or more theatrical band like Maiden would make it clearer. Like Alice Cooper does I think. That's why in the end it always feels like this is actually Axl. Like on Shacklers it's meant to be the shooter and Axl is playing that role but you think he's the one going on the rampage. And it works best in both cases like that. On Catcher it's Axl losing his mind after finding out Lennon got shot in the verses or trying to come to terms with it, like talking it over with the catcher, he struggles through a breakdown to finally side with sanity with the help of the ideal of Lennon. That's what I want it to be, and with the music that's more how it works for me. In the video Axl would play the role of the syndrome sufferer who kind of stalks himself and gets close to killing a version of himself but pulls back when he realises.

Same deal with Shacklers, Axl was pushed to the edge by the industry and could have gone on a killing spree after a long Malibu night.

It's like Axl is venting through metaphors and identifications with lots of themes, metaphors (Madagascar), images. It's these multiple perspectives and composites which make CD so fascinating. Even a song like Riad n the Bedouins could be about the Iraq war, terrorists but its not its about a small time arms dealer who was helping Erin sue Axl but the same time it could be about Slash and GNR. Catcher could be about the malaise that Axl went through and Slash is the kind of rebel figure that Axl is railing against. A real grown up doesn't identify with Holden, they are amused and nostalgic more. Axl matured a bit but then he's still on stage rubbing buns with pole dancers during Rocket Queen so all is not lost. Living the dream!

• Like 1

I guess what I meant was that the way the song was designed/structured as Axl explained it compared with multiple uniformed subjective takes of each listener. Depending on your take of the book and Axl himself.

The question is does it work as Axl set it up. The kind of psychedelic Beatlesy Mansonesque chiming of the guitars and piano with Axls syndrome sufferer lyrics. That's why the music is the way it is. Whether it changes enough for Axls chorus. Maybe a metal band or more theatrical band like Maiden would make it clearer. Like Alice Cooper does I think. That's why in the end it always feels like this is actually Axl. Like on Shacklers it's meant to be the shooter and Axl is playing that role but you think he's the one going on the rampage. And it works best in both cases like that. On Catcher it's Axl losing his mind after finding out Lennon got shot in the verses or trying to come to terms with it, like talking it over with the catcher, he struggles through a breakdown to finally side with sanity with the help of the ideal of Lennon. That's what I want it to be, and with the music that's more how it works for me. In the video Axl would play the role of the syndrome sufferer who kind of stalks himself and gets close to killing a version of himself but pulls back when he realises.

Same deal with Shacklers, Axl was pushed to the edge by the industry and could have gone on a killing spree after a long Malibu night.

It's like Axl is venting through metaphors and identifications with lots of themes, metaphors (Madagascar), images. It's these multiple perspectives and composites which make CD so fascinating. Even a song like Riad n the Bedouins could be about the Iraq war, terrorists but its not its about a small time arms dealer who was helping Erin sue Axl but the same time it could be about Slash and GNR. Catcher could be about the malaise that Axl went through and Slash is the kind of rebel figure that Axl is railing against. A real grown up doesn't identify with Holden, they are amused and nostalgic more. Axl matured a bit but then he's still on stage rubbing buns with pole dancers during Rocket Queen so all is not lost. Living the dream!

Fuck yeah. Thank you for taking the time to explain that.

Edited by Rovim