Your favorite stand alone GNR track?

Rocket Queen is another one where I feel like it encapsulates GNR in just the right element of rocking and strong melodic moments like the second half of the song.

Well said. Rocket Queen is like the quintessential classic GNR track, even more than WTTJ or PC.

Only thing against Nightrain is the lyrics are a bit cheesy. But it's a fun song. But is it really better than Easy, Out Ta get me, Brownstone, Jungle, PC, RQ. Not obviously it has its flaws too.

Yeah, they are cheesy. I really like them though. They sound cool. Brownstone has the better riff, never a frown. Out Ta Get Me the paranoia and anger as the engine of the song. Easy the sheer jadedness of it. Jungle and PC can't touch this. Rocket Queen someone is getting fucked on the floor but I'm also about feels.

Edited by Rovim

I just see YCBM as the perfect rocker. I just can't find anything wrong with it. Maybe the solo isn't that memorable? The solo on Nightrain is very much part of the song, the outro fade never to return is perfect.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one in here that liked the fade out. It's appropriate. And even if I want to hear Slash play his outro forever, it really is perfect. And I have the live versions of it too for that, but I prefer the studio version.

Slash said he was limited technically back then, but it actually gave it a cool "rocky" feel to it in his words. I agree. The fade out is like when you get really drunk and piss your pants and here comes the blackout.

I think the YCBM solo is memorable. I don't find anything wrong with the song either except you know, it's not that there is anything wrong with it, it's just I'll always be curious to know how it would have sounded with the Izzy/Slash Appetite guitar interplay. I think the UYI production really fits the song, and that Sorum actually did a good job here, but again: curious to know how it would have sounded with Adler and Appetite production.

I feel like the UYI production suited the rage of YCBM. It gave it a harder edge. it's not really that sleazy, it's a little deeper. Nightrain is a great live song, so is YCBM but it's also a little more interesting to me, almost more original lyrically. Another thing I noticed is that at RIR it's Izzy whose playing that intro riff. So it might one song where they were weaving a bit more.

I feel like the UYI production suited the rage of YCBM. It gave it a harder edge. it's not really that sleazy, it's a little deeper. Nightrain is a great live song, so is YCBM but it's also a little more interesting to me, almost more original lyrically. Another thing I noticed is that at RIR it's Izzy whose playing that intro riff. So it might one song where they were weaving a bit more.

I didn't mean to upset you.

You know, I think one thing that was missing for me on Chinese is a great, I mean really great rocker like YCBM. Didn't miss great ballads obviously, cause there are a shitload of them on there, but Chinese is similar in many ways to UYI, and with that 15 million $ production, and that scale and epic feel of almost every song, I want to hear an epic rocker with those YCBM balls. Oh My God was mean, but the production kinda sucked and it wasn't included on the album.

Axl's comments lead me to think CD ll will maybe have a few more rockers, and maybe at least one of them will be an evolution for Guns in the rockers department (I hate the words "rocker, "rockers", and "rockstar")

Anyway, Jackie Chan anyone?

Yeah I think Shacklers was meant to be the YCBM type rocker. But it's too optimistic to hope that, but it shows Axls determination. I've always felt if they showed more confidence in Shacklers early on and played it up front after Jungle for example, it could hold a difference position.

I just don't think Axl had the hard rock guitarist to write that song. Are Fortus and Dj more likely to do it? Shacklers shows that Axl knows the dynamics he would just need the guitarist.

Edited by wasted

Yeah I think Shacklers was meant to be the YCBM type rocker. But it's too optimistic to hope that, but it shows Axls determination. I've always felt if they showed more confidence in Shacklers early on and played it up front after Jungle for example, it could hold a difference position.

I just don't think Axl had the hard rock guitarist to write that song. Are Fortus and Dj more likely to do it? Shacklers shows that Axl knows the dynamics he would just need the guitarist.

This will probably sound kinda weird, but I actually think Bucket was the most likely candidate to write something like that. I don't know how well you're familiar with Bucket's prolific solo career, but he can do bluesy, he can do Page, Hendrix-esque shit, and he can come up with riffs that have that vibe about them. And of course, Bucket wrote Shackler's. He can do mechanical-sleazy. SUP?

Hell, Bucket wrote Scraped too. It won't be Slash type riffs, but you see, Bucket was the right guitarist for what Axl was trying to do imo because he is a melting pot of riffs. Many riffs. In all sorts of different styles. At the heart of it are funk, metal, rock, and sappy almost new agey shit but not. He can be lyrical as fuck, but we're not talking about that right now.

His beast mode as I'd like to call it contains everything an unbalanced man child singer with a taste for visions will need: even when it goes really fast, it stays on course, keeps the direction. Kinda like Slash in his prime. Axl had the balls to use that on Better for example: all that shred goes on while Robin and Fortus do their thang, and then Bucket's metal riff comes in and Axl sings perfectly on top of it.

My point is (I think) is that no one expects mechanical, so Axl used Bumble even in Shackler's to sleaze shit up, but without Bucket's precision and approach to writing riffs, you don't really get the blueprint of our caped guitar hero. I suspect we just had a taste of that, and on CD ll there are more Bucket written tunes like Shackler's and Scraped.

And he even wrote Sorry, which is like...they come together again here with their melodic love. In this case sounds like dark Pink Floyd and you've got a Don't Cry vibe like you said, which means got chemistry, bitch.

But I don't really totally believe that.

I think Fortus is the key for Classic hard rock, and DJ can do the melodic glam thing. It will probably sound good with even just both of them.

Bumble can do alternative punk metal riffs with Queen type solos. He's a metal/rock dude too. He adapts to everything, and proved with Chinese he can sleaze it the fuck up. There are actually many sleazy Bumble riffs on Chinese that are played on top of other more central riffs beneath.

Paul is the secret weapon. Can come up with Izzy like riffs: don't mean they sound similar, but are basic, to the point, and oh so important to the song. So he knows how to come up with rockers, but ballads as well. Back Off Twat Catchers.

And just listen to Robin's riff on There Was A Time: the one that Axl sings "I would do anything for you" over: only Robin can write those kinds of riffs imo.

In conclusion: probably Fortus, Robin, and Bumble for what you were asking about.

My opinion: you combine Bucket with Bumble riff wise, you can do mechanical sleaze which is really the best solution possible for what Axl wanted imo, but you still need Robin to Slash it up/Nine the fucker.

I am very sorry. Too much coffee.

Edited by Rovim