What if Slash and Duff had accepted Izzy's original offer to Velvet Revolver...?

ManetsBR

Although he was part of the first Velvet Reolver songwriting process, Izzy ultimately left because, apart from his aversion to being on tour with a big band, he said he couldn't work with a lead singer. Then he left and was replaced by that nobody guy. But before leaving he made an offer of being the band singer with Duff. Thing is, they were too interested in having a lead singer and being a sucessful act with an Axl replacement instead of being really artistically relevant.

Imagine if they had accepted and Velvet Revolver was just the four of them? With Izzy and Duff sharing vocals. That would have been fantastic. I don't know why they are not doing this right now. Instead Slash is out there with that duck voiced guy and a bunch of nobodies so that they won't steal his spotlight. It's really a shame.

Edited by ManetsBR

You said it all man.

Izzy + Slash + Duff + Matt (or, even better, Steven) should be terrific;

If Slash was a smart guy, he would allow Izzy to build most of the songs around his riffs, and not try to write full songs by himself.

Izzy knows how to make a song work.

Slash and Duff can do that too, but not so well.

Funny thing is that Slash KNOWS who he is playing with, just as much as Axl KNOWS who he is playing with.

THEY KNOW that no mater how NICE these hired musicians are, that they are not able to produce any of the GNR magic.

Izzy, Slash, Duff and Matt should be the closest thing to that available (as of today);

It would have been better with him, but even greater if he and Weiland, came to terms. Weiland has a better voice than Izzy, but Izzy is a better song writer and is proven to make great work with Slash. Imo a vocalist is the ceiling of a band, the guitarist can be great (Van Halen, Slash, Page, etc.) but with a shitty vocalist, the end product will only result in mediocre music.

It would have been better with him, but even greater if he and Weiland, came to terms. Weiland has a better voice than Izzy, but Izzy is a better song writer and is proven to make great work with Slash. Imo a vocalist is the ceiling of a band, the guitarist can be great (Van Halen, Slash, Page, etc.) but with a shitty vocalist, the end product will only result in mediocre music.

Like Extreme. Nuno is an amazing guitarist but Gary Cherone is not anywhere near a match for him. I guess that's also true with when he was with Van Halen.

Although he was part of the first Velvet Reolver songwriting process, Izzy ultimately left because, apart from his aversion to being on tour with a big band, he said he couldn't work with a lead singer. Then he left and was replaced by that nobody guy. But before leaving he made an offer of being the band singer with Duff. Thing is, they were too interested in having a lead singer and being a sucessful act with an Axl replacement instead of being really artistically relevant.

Imagine if they had accepted and Velvet Revolver was just the four of them? With Izzy and Duff sharing vocals. That would have been fantastic. I don't know why they are not doing this right now. Instead Slash is out there with that duck voiced guy and a bunch of nobodies so that they won't steal his spotlight. It's really a shame.

couldn't agree more

miles is a terrible fit

I'd prefer an Izzy/Duff fronted version of the band over Weiland, for sure, I might have liked VR if it were more in the classic rock style and didn't have Scott on vocals.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't get all the fuss over Izzy's solo albums- they seem half assed and slapshod almost just for the sake of it ( I know he can sing good enough when he wants to like on 14 Years and Dust N Bones)

I love Duff and everything too but I don't think his post GNR output is anything to write home about either...I'm thinking of "Here Comes The Rain" as I type this and while sort of cool in a "So Fine" kind of cheesey way, it's pretty awful.

Damning with faint praise, but Izzy and Duff fronting the band ( plus Izzy's songwriting and no Scott) would have been better than what's ended up happening.

• Like 1

Duff can't sing for shit and Izzy isn't much of a frontman. I can see why Slash and co rejected the idea as i doubt it would have sold as well as it did without Scott on vocals.

This. As much as I love Duff and Izzy.

• Like 1

It would have been a thousand times better musically, but probably stayed in the clubs and theatres and not reached the huge success that Velvet Revolver attained (not that that bothers me). I would have loved to have seen it as I never cared for VR. The demos probably exists - I know Stradlin re-used one or two ideas for his solo albums; just another exciting thing GN'R fans will not get to hear!

It comes down to Slash having a major label dangling the deal in his face as to why he didn't do it Izzy's way. I think Scott and Mary's book gave their side of what was going on at the time, Slash and Duff gave theirs, so it's more clearer than the GNR implosion and all the "complications" that come with Axl. Scott was damaged goods and I just felt Slash came off badly when he badmouthed Scott, the same way Gene SImmons does when he talks about Ace or Peter. He wanted Scott in because it got him out of the house, Mary was bipolar so between Scott bringing her on the road, and Perla trying to control things, it should have been a one off like Neurotic Outsiders.

It would have been interesting if Shooter Jennings had been the singer and you had Izzy, Duff, Slash in the band. I'm sure Kushner brought a lot into that band as far as songwriting goes. I also wonder if the demo Scott got was the one Axl rejected, maybe with some different songs, but as Scott said, they sounded like Bad Company.

Duff and Matt would probably be the ones to ask if it was the same demo.

It comes down to Slash having a major label dangling the deal in his face as to why he didn't do it Izzy's way. I think Scott and Mary's book gave their side of what was going on at the time, Slash and Duff gave theirs, so it's more clearer than the GNR implosion and all the "complications" that come with Axl. Scott was damaged goods and I just felt Slash came off badly when he badmouthed Scott, the same way Gene SImmons does when he talks about Ace or Peter. He wanted Scott in because it got him out of the house, Mary was bipolar so between Scott bringing her on the road, and Perla trying to control things, it should have been a one off like Neurotic Outsiders.

It would have been interesting if Shooter Jennings had been the singer and you had Izzy, Duff, Slash in the band. I'm sure Kushner brought a lot into that band as far as songwriting goes. I also wonder if the demo Scott got was the one Axl rejected, maybe with some different songs, but as Scott said, they sounded like Bad Company.

Duff and Matt would probably be the ones to ask if it was the same demo.

shooter was on joe rogans podcast recently. they didn't talk about that but cool guy

Duff can't sing for shit and Izzy isn't much of a frontman. I can see why Slash and co rejected the idea as i doubt it would have sold as well as it did without Scott on vocals.

exactly. izzy and duff are amateur singers.

without a well-known singer as scott, vr would have been a flop.

Edited by supercool

It would have been the first step for a reunion, but no, they were too dumb to think about it ...

Don't forget that Slash was still high at that time ... he was not able to make good decisions ... like when he decided to leave GN'R.

Yeah

But clean dudes like Axl made great decisions..... :hahafyou:

• Like 1

It would have been the first step for a reunion, but no, they were too dumb to think about it ...

Don't forget that Slash was still high at that time ... he was not able to make good decisions ... like when he decided to leave GN'R.

Yeah

Better then signing over your rights to the biggest band in the world though... That's high.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Yeah

Better then signing over your rights to the biggest band in the world though... That's high.

Ouch!

I love Duff and Izzy, but tboth are average singers.

Plus they are limited as a frontman with their guitar, so they can't move around on stage

Velvet Revolver was an awesome live band.

Scott was a huge part of that with his behaviour on stage.

And they proved they could make a great record together with Contraband.

I'm glad they choose to go with a real frontman, although I would have loved to have Izzy in the band as a guitarist or songwriter.

Yeah

Kind of reminds me of an exchange between the Viscountess Astor and Winston Churhill in which the viscountess exclaimed that if Churchill were her husband, she would poison his tea!

To which Churchill rejoined "Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it." Sometimes, one must drink the poison to rid the disease..

When the news broke that Izzy was on the fence about VR.. I dug the shit out of the idea that "the band" portion of GNR was unifying forces and presenting to the world the "contraband" to Axls version..had that happened I think it could have been settled in many peoples minds just what the phenomenon of GNR really was. Singer and his band.. or a band with a fantastic singer? I have always thought that GNR was the combination of those desperate streetrats and their collective talents and vision and drive.

at that time Axl was doing what he is doing right now...playing at being a viable going rockstar and the world was ready for GNR music again. Had Izzys version prevailed it would have been GNR without Axl. Politics being what they were no one in 2003/2004 knew just the extint that GNR was forever fractured.

Outside of the concert presentations of the new sounds and the lame release of Oh My God .. there was a tremendous amount of the orginal fanbase that wrote GNR off like they did for many of the 80's bands. Now 10 years later the whole story , for me is the story of missed oppourtunity, wasted time and certainly wasted resources.

I remember the speculation at the time surrounding both camps... that VR with the original illusions line up Vs Axls verison of GNR would have shone the spotlight on Axls version as being in fact - a Solo album.

I find it odd with the thousands of vocalists out there ..even the unknowns.. that there isnt someone that VR could jive with to get the job done.