What if Slash and Duff had accepted Izzy's original offer to Velvet Revolver...?

ManetsBR

It's funny to read young kids (and grown men?) bad talking Izzy music,

Izzy was one of the main songwriters (if not THE main songwriter) in Guns n' Roses;

That should be reason enough to respect him but there is more.

Izzy has released more that TEN STUDIO ALBUMS (I stopped counting a long time ago) since he left GNR.

I'm so fuckin' sure that all you kids (grown men?) badtalking Izzy's music didn't listen to half of it.

Edited by ludurigan

Then you have the convoluted and mysterious conundrum of how much sway a vocalist (and a fucking livewire of one) has over the identity of a band despite another band having 4 of the other bands members operating as a solid unit once more...

Izzy is a far better songwriter than Slash imo, though he is competent, great when pushed by Axl. His guitar playing is brilliant however whilst Izzy does not crave the spotlight ala James Hetfield though it's a damn fucking shame those two don't lead more.

Edited by RandallFlagg

It's funny to read young kids (and grown men?) bad talking Izzy music,

Izzy was one of the main songwriters (if not THE main songwriter) in Guns n' Roses;

That should be reason enough to respect him but there is more.

Izzy has released more that TEN STUDIO ALBUMS (I stopped counting a long time ago) since he left GNR.

I'm so fuckin' sure that all you kids (grown men?) badtalking Izzy's music didn't listen to half of it.

Funny, the ending sounds very much like Hold Me Forever by Buckethead (15mn and closing). Great minds think alike.

Licks on Drove at 3:13/

and Buckethead stuff at 21:15:

Edited by Silent Jay

Although he was part of the first Velvet Reolver songwriting process, Izzy ultimately left because, apart from his aversion to being on tour with a big band, he said he couldn't work with a lead singer. Then he left and was replaced by that nobody guy. But before leaving he made an offer of being the band singer with Duff. Thing is, they were too interested in having a lead singer and being a sucessful act with an Axl replacement instead of being really artistically relevant.

Imagine if they had accepted and Velvet Revolver was just the four of them? With Izzy and Duff sharing vocals. That would have been fantastic. I don't know why they are not doing this right now. Instead Slash is out there with that duck voiced guy and a bunch of nobodies so that they won't steal his spotlight. It's really a shame.

I doubt they would have been very successful. I think people would always be focused on who was missing. It would be Snakepit level type touring, notoriety, reception, etc. GNR without the personality.

Duff was already working with Izzy.

It's Slash that bought lock, stock and barrel into the Sony deal where he wanted Scott no matter what shape Scott was in. Scott made Slash come off as an opportunist in his book.

I didn't get that feeling at all from his bio. Scott comes off as the opportunist in his own book. In terms of career, clout, importance, etc., Scott seemed to have more respect for Slash than anyone else in VR. I don't think he portrayed Slash as any more of an opportunist than the rest of the group. He spoke negatively of the group as a whole, dismissed them in an artistic sense, but he didn't single/point out anyone guy, least of all Slash. I will say this, Weiland's is one of the more delusional bios I've come across. He thinks STP was the biggest band of the 90's- says on the inner sleeve that they were bigger than Pearl Jam or Nirvana. He really thinks of himself as having Bowie-like stature.

It's Slash that bought lock, stock and barrel into the Sony deal where he wanted Scott no matter what shape Scott was in. Scott made Slash come off as an opportunist in his book.

I didn't get that feeling at all from his bio. Scott comes off as the opportunist in his own book. In terms of career, clout, importance, etc., Scott seemed to have more respect for Slash than anyone else in VR. I don't think he portrayed Slash as any more of an opportunist than the rest of the group. He spoke negatively of the group as a whole, dismissed them in an artistic sense, but he didn't single/point out anyone guy, least of all Slash. I will say this, Weiland's is one of the more delusional bios I've come across. He thinks STP was the biggest band of the 90's- says on the inner sleeve that they were bigger than Pearl Jam or Nirvana. He really thinks of himself as having Bowie-like stature.

He also mentioned "women" causing problems in VR.

He also mentioned "women" causing problems in VR.

Yeah, he did say that Slash and then eventually everyone's wife was involved in every band meeting/decision-including Mary, Perla, and Susan

Actually according to Scott's book it was kind of more Duff who broached and made it more feasible to bring Scott in. He said Duff was dangling the idea of movie soundtracks, easy money record deals, etc. I believe Scott and Duff's wives were friends. I guess they all knew each other loosely, but it seemed like Duff/Scott, Mary/Susan associations helped make it a reality.