What if Slash and Duff had accepted Izzy's original offer to Velvet Revolver...?

ManetsBR

It would have been the first step for a reunion, but no, they were too dumb to think about it ...

Don't forget that Slash was still high at that time ... he was not able to make good decisions ... like when he decided to leave GN'R.

Yeah

But clean dudes like Axl made great decisions..... :hahafyou:

Better then signing over your rights to the biggest band in the world though... That's high.

Kind of reminds me of an exchange between the Viscountess Astor and Winston Churhill in which the viscountess exclaimed that if Churchill were her husband, she would poison his tea!

To which Churchill rejoined "Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it." Sometimes, one must drink the poison to rid the disease..

Point is it was fuckin' stupid. We can sit here all day and talk about how one should sometimes act, but what Slash and Duff did was impulsive, and they've acted out of fear when they should have kept their cool imo. Say fuck it, I won't let that fucker take what is mine, no matter what the threat was.

Edited by Rovim

It would have been the first step for a reunion, but no, they were too dumb to think about it ...

Don't forget that Slash was still high at that time ... he was not able to make good decisions ... like when he decided to leave GN'R.

Yeah

Better then signing over your rights to the biggest band in the world though... That's high.

Kind of reminds me of an exchange between the Viscountess Astor and Winston Churhill in which the viscountess exclaimed that if Churchill were her husband, she would poison his tea!

To which Churchill rejoined "Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it." Sometimes, one must drink the poison to rid the disease..

Never mind that Axl was threating to boycott his participation in the upcoming album release and world tour. Never mind that it was just a simple ..'in the event of a breakup" that Axl would retain the rights to the GNR name.. which was something he brought to the table and that the rest of them agreed to... nothing like a bit of blackmail to crowbar the whole organization with.

Who would have known that Axl would quit his band .. take the name with him and then attempt to put the legacy band on retainer just like he is right here and right now?

Imagine going from being vice president of a corporation with all the luxery and comforts, power , wealth and fame to being the chai walla coffe server.

Imagine being held hostage to Axls "muse", his psycoanalyst , his aura reader, his housekeeper etc.,his accountant, His good buddy from Indiana etc.. (for a discusion on that.. contact Robin, Buckethead, Dizzy, Tommy, Ron and BBF..and DJ if it needed)

• Like 2

To answer OP. How can we know? It could've worked. It could've been a pathetic fail at being an Axl-less GNR. For me personally, I enjoy the two VR albums and think Scott's voice is nothing but brilliant, no complaints. Izzy would be cool but his solo career is filled with unmemorable to mediocre songs. Same for Duff. They can sing but they're not supposed to be the frontmen. Specially Izzy. The guy has the stage presence of a rock. It would've been more GNR than Axl and his hired hands, of course. Hell, even regular VR is!

I'm glad VR existed. They released the closest thing to a modern AFD with Contraband. It was refreshing to have them in the age of nu metal/rap rock.

As for the breakup talking in the thread: Great post rockerman. There are some people trying to rewrite history here. I'm glad there are people like you in here.

Edited by ProstituteComa
  • Like 1

Yeah

Never mind that Axl was threating to boycott his participation in the upcoming album release and world tour. Never mind that it was just a simple ..'in the event of a breakup" that Axl would retain the rights to the GNR name.. which was something he brought to the table and that the rest of them agreed to... nothing like a bit of blackmail to crowbar the whole organization with.

Who would have known that Axl would quit his band .. take the name with him and then attempt to put the legacy band on retainer just like he is right here and right now?

Imagine going from being vice president of a corporation with all the luxery and comforts, power , wealth and fame to being the chai walla coffe server.

Imagine being held hostage to Axls "muse", his psycoanalyst , his aura reader, his housekeeper etc.,his accountant, His good buddy from Indiana etc.. (for a discusion on that.. contact Robin, Buckethead, Dizzy, Tommy, Ron and BBF..and DJ if it needed)

Dude, for real, there is no excuse. It was a foolish decision, and they've regretted it ever since. We all make dumb ass choices sometimes, this one was just really, really costly.

Yeah

Dude, for real, there is no excuse. It was a foolish decision, and they've regretted it ever since. We all make dumb ass choices sometimes, this one was just really, really costly.

Oh i agree with you... given the money that was to be made and the contracts they would have had to back out of..and the wave of lawsuits that enevitably would follow.. it was an untenable situation.. and the advise of counsel was shit for them to even allow the proposal to even come to table. From the peanut gallery its safe to say "Oh i would have fought tooth and nail ..but ultimately when your told that your singer would not participate, cooperate and initiate unless he got his way and the vast machinery of GNR pre UYI comes grinding to a halt and everything would degenerate that you have been striving for... high or not, stoned or not, its a fucking thankless place to be in.

• Like 3

We would have gotten the best original GNR music since the original GNR. Would have been amazing.

Must have missed Chinese Democracy. And how would this be original GNR music if it was VR :monkey:

Anyways as cool as it would have been, Velvet wouldn't have reached success without Scott. I think Izzy could have stayed as a writer and done one off appearances, but can't see him in VR full time

Izzy would never fit VR because:

- Izzy's low profile and wants to keep away from big tours, press and all of it (except for the occasional guest apprearence) and VR became very huge

- there were drugs involved (not just Scott was doing it) and Izzy wants to keep away from it

It would have been great tough but I think that it wouldn't have lasted a lot.

Let's just face it, none of these guys are the same kids they were in the 80s/early 90s anymore, they grew up and now they all see things differently. Even Axl says (in a nice way) that he realized now on this recent tour that Duff isn't the same guy anymore.

I even suspect that if all of the original band reunited again it wouldn't be as great as it was in the past so just let the great memories remain and keep your ears opened to whatever they bring you now, either together of separated with each of their current solo projects.

Yeah

Exactly! Hence, my anecdote.

• Like 1

Yeah

But you and Rockerman are having a tough time admitting that it was a dumb mistake. Your cute anecdote doesn't change what happened that day when Slash and Duff signed over the name to Axl. And yes, I would have fought tooth and nail against anyone who would have tried to take what I've worked so hard to build. No question about that. And not just me. Many people everyday don't make stupid fuckin' decisions.

Yeah

But you and Rockerman are having a tough time admitting that it was a dumb mistake. Your cute anecdote doesn't change what happened that day when Slash and Duff signed over the name to Axl. And yes, I would have fought tooth and nail against anyone who would have tried to take what I've worked so hard to build. No question about that. And not just me. Many people everyday don't make stupid fuckin' decisions.

Like i said in agreeing with you-. it was a stupid choice..with many factors involved. No doubt about it. Ignorant to a degree of stupidity IN RETROSPECT. Like the old saying goes The reason the world is made round was because we are not meant to see too far down the road."

But some of the factors being known as they are- its still is a thankless position to be in. Before During and After. Mr. Last Man Standing still presented them with a shitshow of a situation. Threatening to NOT release UYIs, THreating not to promote GNR, Threatening to not take the stage on tour and all of this with the background knowledge of what was going on post AFD Pre UYI era of GNR and knowing what Axl was very capable of. Had demonstrated it all along. Was known for it. Expected to do it.

The marginalization that was occouring with people in the corporation, Axls personal life that held up the situation , his tendency to do it his way on his time regardless of the band and the management etc.. and least of all the Fans.

You take all of the excess and the situations like St. Luis and Montreal into account, the delays taking stage, the uncertainty if Axl is actually in the building at showtime ...the wave of lawsuits that are coming toward your corporation like a tidal wave largely created by a rougue member of your band...Lawsuits that could and would drain the CORPORATIONS wealth and lock them into decades long litigation. Not hard to say Fuck That! Hard not resent the living shit out the situation. Hard not to want to punch the perpertraitor in the face.. the traitor. Suddenly your dealing with condesention and judgement from a man you used to do lines of Cocaine with?

A man you Used to fucking regard as a friend, a guy you used to trust and rely upon..and now what was a collective vision as a gang becomes SOLE vision of the singer. ONE member of the unit!?

HOWS THAT VISION WORKING OUT FOR YOU WORLD?!!!? Digging the shit out of decades of speculation and rumours and innuendo? Catching the high off GNR these days?! Digging the nostalgia show?

You get off the road and are faced with YEARS of idleness, Years of Delays, Years of lawsuits after lawsuits to get resolved... largely because of ONE member. You know from past experience that confronting him about it is only going to make him burn the house down. You turn your communications over to a fucking lawyer and they rape you as lawyers are trained to do. YOu listen to the shit coming out of beggers and hangers on. Held hostage to Axls personal timeline, his moods, his motivations and his ways of doing things

....And like Duff said... the core of GNR stopped communicating and went to intermediarys to discuss anything.

Then show up one day and find you no longer have any say in the direction or the sound of the band and who the personel are going to be... You realize that that clause also castrated you because what?! a level of trust in Axl?! You find that Axl has formed a new corporation taking the GNR name solely as his and IF YOU WANT TO PLAY BY HIS RULES you might get to be part of the big picture. If you want to cooperate with what he WANTS to do, how he wants to sound then you can keep your old job HOWEVER you will not have any say so in business matters , direction, sound, image and management etc.. Duff held on until it became obvious to him what the story was going to be. And its safe to say WE KNOW now how the story goes.

From here in this place and time its not a reach to see where and why some people would break. Not a hard answer to a problematic question. Surely Axl wouldnt be as stupid and as selfish to utterly destroy GNR to get his way? Surely, despite their personal differences Axl could be reasoned with and worked with to keep the GNR machine in play?! Surely he was smart enough and savy enough to realize and know that the world loved GNR as they were and all of the band members? Surely Axl could see that phenomenon of GNR was bigger than the 5 players and thier petty differences?!

Nonetheless, as i see the whole story in context, I resent the shit out of each and every one of them for not getting thier shit together and keeping it together. Adler for his stupidity and lack of will, Slash and Duff for being passive for too long, Izzy for not sticking in there and making it happen and Axl for all the shit that reduce GNR to a nostalgia act.

But to return to topic: Too bad that the band didn't IMMEDIATELY regroup with Izzy in the fold and continue on ... If and when- Axl-if he indeed gave a shit could guest.. perhaps do a few numbers for old time sake and then trot off to Malibu and do his Howard Hughs act on whim and will... maybe write an album with some hired help and continue to live his vision out....

• Like 4

You get off the road and are faced with YEARS of idleness, Years of Delays, Years of lawsuits after lawsuits to get resolved... largely because of ONE member. You know from past experience that confronting him about it is only going to make him burn the house down. You turn your communications over to a fucking lawyer and they rape you as lawyers are trained to do. YOu listen to the shit coming out of beggers and hangers on. Held hostage to Axls personal timeline, his moods, his motivations and his ways of doing things

You can't even put a number on it. That's heavy.