The Cult

wasted

I pulled my Pure Cult cd out and it sounds pretty good. I never paid much attention to the pre-Electric stuff but some of it sounds pretty ahead of it's time in a weird way like some of the stuff that comes out now, 80s electro rock.

But back in the late 80s, early 90s I thought they were like the British GNR. Total hard rock shamans.

Smoke on the horizon!

Edie Ciao Baby) is like greatest hard rock ballad second ballad of the 90s.

I think Astbury must be crazy his embracing of Jimism and Shamanistic antics was full throttle.

And they were still going for it with Wild Hearted Son.

I should check out the earlier albums.

What I appreciate most about them is how they seemed to change their sound on every album. Except for Ceremony, which was very much Sonic Temple pt II.

Quite an interesting band.

Yeah that's what I was wondering was Ceremony mailed in Lies just to keep the tour going? It's got a big single and a ballad. Wild hearted son is probably my second favorite. But yeah this trilogy of US centric big rock albums were their finale. Kind of reminds of Primal Scream career.

What I appreciate most about them is how they seemed to change their sound on every album. Except for Ceremony, which was very much Sonic Temple pt II.

Yeah that's what I was wondering was Ceremony mailed in Lies just to keep the tour going? It's got a big single and a ballad. Wild hearted son is probably my second favorite. But yeah this trilogy of US centric big rock albums were their finale. Kind of reminds of Primal Scream career.

Their latest album was pretty good. They have a very simple, yet effective sound. A singer with a cool voice, and a great guitar player. 4/4. What else do you need? They never really broke big which is a shame, cause they deserved it imo. Sorum got out in time. If I remember correctly, Howard loves The Cult.

Backup8-10-14081_zpsbd8276b9.jpg

It was a lonnnnnnng day! :lol:

Really cool pic, McCoy. My guess is it was worth it to you. :)

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I think they prefer having a niche' audience as opposed to being something bigger and all the conventional demands upon them that would come with that.

Ian once said that Cult was a band that fell between the cracks of the music scene, existed in the cracks and it was part of their identity.

• Like 1

I think they prefer having a niche' audience as opposed to being something bigger and all the conventional demands upon them that would come with that.

Ian once said that Cult was a band that fell between the cracks of the music scene, existed in the cracks and it was part of their identity.

But not necessarily by choice. They've adapted to it, and maybe if they ever broke big, they would have found a way to adapt to that too. Like many bands that came before and after them succedded to do. (Rolling Stones for example)

It seems like they were part of the Sisters of Mercy (This Corrosion was awesome), The Cure (Disintegration) actually that first Primal Scream record was gothy. Was the Wolfchild thing invented for Electric like Bono's The Fly. Plus Depeche Mode, they have a new record that sounds like Hesitation Marks, I was going to warn NIN fans. Electric is a prototype AFD. Then Sonic Temple blows UYI away. FFFFiiiiirrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeahahahaWomanyourtoBlame!!!

I wonder if Dj could cover Wild Flower on the GNR tour with Axl. Rawoah.

It's like they are singing about making Electric on Go West.

Edited by wasted

Their latest album was pretty good. They have a very simple, yet effective sound. A singer with a cool voice, and a great guitar player. 4/4. What else do you need? They never really broke big which is a shame, cause they deserved it imo. Sorum got out in time. If I remember correctly, Howard loves The Cult.

who is Howard?

Rain. I discovered Rain today. A bit late.

I remember an Astbury quote how on Sonic Temple he became the kind of guy he hated, a rock pig I think he said. Maybe that's why they hover under the radar a bit. But they must have had it for a tour at least. To me it sounds like The Doors go hard rock and nothing to be ashamed of, well maybe a little but when your flying down the highway at 130 mph in the outside lane you don't care!

• Like 1

who is Howard?

Rain. I discovered Rain today. A bit late.

I remember an Astbury quote how on Sonic Temple he became the kind of guy he hated, a rock pig I think he said. Maybe that's why they hover under the radar a bit. But they must have had it for a tour at least. To me it sounds like The Doors go hard rock and nothing to be ashamed of, well maybe a little but when your flying down the highway at 130 mph in the outside lane you don't care!

That's how I've always described The Cult. "A hard rock version of The Doors" is the PERFECT way to put it, especially considering that Ian became the singer of the Doors in the long run.

I had that Doors with Astbury dvd. I kind of lost it, it was bizarre, not bad just weird. It was part of the Storytellers series maybe.

Stern, Howard Stern. It's kinda like The Doors, but without the vision. Still damn, DAMN good choruses, and they know how to rock. The guitar player is great, the chemistry with his vocalist is tight as shit. The Cult is one of those bands I can always come back to. Good music to when you want to go really fast and don't give a fuck.

I had that Doors with Astbury dvd. I kind of lost it, it was bizarre, not bad just weird. It was part of the Storytellers series maybe.

Stern, Howard Stern. It's kinda like The Doors, but without the vision. Still damn, DAMN good choruses, and they know how to rock. The guitar player is great, the chemistry with his vocalist is tight as shit. The Cult is one of those bands I can always come back to. Good music to when you want to go really fast and don't give a fuck.

Okay, why did you mention Howard Stern? Stephen King also likes the Cult, they are one of those bands from 80s/90s. Maybe the best British band of the era, before Oasis turned up. But Astbury has a proper rock voice, whereas Liam has a nasal whine.

They do have that pocket, with the bass, a lot like AFD has. They just got progressively more Rawk, I think I read it was really Duffy that wanted to go that way. Astbury kind of wanted to be a punk messiah. His crooning is really Morrisonesque. What's the deal with the Native American stuff?

Rain and Heart and Soul are two songs I've got into. I didn't get Ceremony. I bought the Wild Hearted Son tape.

Okay, why did you mention Howard Stern? Stephen King also likes the Cult, they are one of those bands from 80s/90s. Maybe the best British band of the era, before Oasis turned up. But Astbury has a proper rock voice, whereas Liam has a nasal whine.

They do have that pocket, with the bass, a lot like AFD has. They just got progressively more Rawk, I think I read it was really Duffy that wanted to go that way. Astbury kind of wanted to be a punk messiah. His crooning is really Morrisonesque. What's the deal with the Native American stuff?

Rain and Heart and Soul are two songs I've got into. I didn't get Ceremony. I bought the Wild Hearted Son tape.

He's ACTUALLY part wolf, everybody knows that. His spirit animal is human being. His indian nickname is "fuckin' with u".

As for the real reason I've mentioned Stern: I'm jewish too, and I've heard him once say in an interview something like: "fuck, The Cult, what a great band, great music, why didn't they ever really made it big?".

Duffy seems like the kind of guy with a really thick head. Like, what? if it moves too far from what works, he doesn't see the point. Ain't broke, don't fuck with me. Kinda sucks, cause I wanted to see, but...the results are cool enough for me to not really care about what could have been.

Edited by Rovim