The Cult

wasted

Never really listened to these guys. Can any of you suggest an album or two to start of with?

Love

Electric

after that, they suck and get worse and worse with each album

Gotta disagree man...

I'm not a fan of the "black sheep" album outside of a few songs, but "Sonic Temple" and "Ceremony" are both great. I love "Beyond Good and Evil", "Born Into This" wasn't their best outside of a few songs, and "Choice Of Weapon" had it's moments.

I LOVE the "Peace" album as well. Glad to see that it finally got a proper release!

Never really listened to these guys. Can any of you suggest an album or two to start of with?

Love

Electric

Gotta disagree man...

I'm not a fan of the "black sheep" album outside of a few songs, but "Sonic Temple" and "Ceremony" are both great. I love "Beyond Good and Evil", "Born Into This" wasn't their best outside of a few songs, and "Choice Of Weapon" had it's moments.

I LOVE the "Peace" album as well. Glad to see that it finally got a proper release!

Love

Electric

Gotta disagree man...

Ceremony is really terrible. Nothing redeeming about that album. Sonic Temple has a few hits and solid songs but overall not very good. I find that album to be where they ran out of lyrical and musical ideas, lyrically especially

And I will backtrack a bit...Beyond Good And Evil is an above average album.

Ceremony just kept the party going. Wild Hearted Son and Heart and Soul are pretty good. Beyond Good was probably a fuller album.

Spiritwalker

Rain

She Sell Sanctuary

Love Removal Machine

Lil Devil

Wild Flower

Sun King

Fire Woman

Sweet Soul Sister

Edie (Ciao Baby)

Wild Hearted Son

Heart and Soul

All seem undeniable.

I had that Doors with Astbury dvd. I kind of lost it, it was bizarre, not bad just weird. It was part of the Storytellers series maybe.

Stern, Howard Stern. It's kinda like The Doors, but without the vision. Still damn, DAMN good choruses, and they know how to rock. The guitar player is great, the chemistry with his vocalist is tight as shit. The Cult is one of those bands I can always come back to. Good music to when you want to go really fast and don't give a fuck.

Okay, why did you mention Howard Stern? Stephen King also likes the Cult, they are one of those bands from 80s/90s. Maybe the best British band of the era, before Oasis turned up. But Astbury has a proper rock voice, whereas Liam has a nasal whine.

They do have that pocket, with the bass, a lot like AFD has. They just got progressively more Rawk, I think I read it was really Duffy that wanted to go that way. Astbury kind of wanted to be a punk messiah. His crooning is really Morrisonesque. What's the deal with the Native American stuff?

Rain and Heart and Soul are two songs I've got into. I didn't get Ceremony. I bought the Wild Hearted Son tape.

He's ACTUALLY part wolf, everybody knows that. His spirit animal is human being. His indian nickname is "fuckin' with u".

As for the real reason I've mentioned Stern: I'm jewish too, and I've heard him once say in an interview something like: "fuck, The Cult, what a great band, great music, why didn't they ever really made it big?".

Duffy seems like the kind of guy with a really thick head. Like, what? if it moves too far from what works, he doesn't see the point. Ain't broke, don't fuck with me. Kinda sucks, cause I wanted to see, but...the results are cool enough for me to not really care about what could have been.

I think they had too many albums as a goth n roll band. If they exploded on the scene as Americans with Electric and Sonic Temple then broke up in a storm of fists fights and booze & drugs then disappear for 20 years they could have been huge. Like where have they been? They don't tour or hit paparazzi at LAX?

They do seem like a band Patrick Bateman might cut up hookers to though. They have cult appeal, The Cult have cult appeal everyone, screen print!

Edited by wasted

They were an under-appreciated band, to an extent. I went through a big obsession with them a while back, and still think Pure Cult is one of the best pop-rock compilations ever. As a singles band they were phenomenal.

Also, their Rare Cult box set - though excessive (some of the club remixes etc. are shit!) - contains some real gems, like this:

• Like 1

Fun yeah. They walk the line. If you listen to the lyrics they are borderline, but some how they pull it off and that makes it even better. I'm a wolf child baby, howling' for you? Yes, yes you are, shut up and be the wolfette for like 20 seco…ahh thank you.