New Josh Freese interview

I feel like I've read this a while ago but thanks for posting.

So, there use to be contracts but not anymore?

who knows man, I don't see how you can have a band like gnr without contacts of some sort (even though msl is adamant about this)

Cool interview

. And it’s not just because I wrote it; it’s because it’s a really dumb, simple, dirty guitar riff. It’s cool. I think it’s one of the better ones on that record.

Probably the only memorable riff on that album.
Axl is got full of kick ass guitarists within his band and the most memorable riff came from a drummer
LMAO

Edited by Crash Diet

Tks for posting, PC.

What was the experience like?

I did it, and I don’t regret it. I was on a two-year contract with them, and by the end of the second year, I realized they weren’t going to leave that studio or that room anytime too soon. But going back to Axl, everyone wants to hear a crazy Axl story. Obviously, there’s been a lot documented about him. But me, personally, I never had a bad experience with him. I never saw him blow up. I never saw him do anything unfair. He was nothing but cool to me, and I saw a guy that wanted to have fun and wanted to come down to the studio with the guys and write music and stuff. You hear the other stories—just like me or you or anyone on the street that’s looked at the internet and said, “Oh my God, he did what to so-and-so? He trashed this? He wouldn’t show up to the show?” You hear crazy stories. Maybe if I was around that shit, I’d tell you a different story. I personally never witnessed any of that stuff. I was also in our personal, private bubble. I wasn’t out playing gigs and sitting backstage hearing, “He’s not even in New York yet. And the opening band’s off stage and he’s still in Philly, refusing to come here.” Then I might go, “Fuck, man,” and it would drive me crazy. But we were on our own schedule in a studio out in The Valley. There was no real big consequence if we were late or if he didn’t show up one night. It didn’t matter. I really liked him.

And I felt bad when my two years was up and I decided I was going to go start A Perfect Circle, because it seemed like a more tangible thing that was really going to happen. These guys aren’t spending a million in the studio. They seem like they want to start a regular band. They want to write and record a record and go on tour six weeks from now. It all seemed very realistic. When I put in my notice, I didn’t want him to take it personally, which I know he probably has with other guys who have left his band or been fired or whatever, because I really do personally like him and always got along with him. When anybody ends a relationship, even if it’s business, some people go, “Don’t take it personally; it’s business.” People still take it personally. You get bummed out. I felt bad about leaving, but I had to do it. I’ve got nothing but good things to say about Axl. [Laughs]

Oh ... shut up, DJ. You fcnk hired hand. Stop licking the boots of your master.

Thanks for posting. Cool stuff. Freese is always such a nice dude. I've always known that Freese wrote the riff for CD, but I haven't ever thought how cool and funny it must be to get to say that. "I wrote Chinese Democracy" :D

who knows man, I don't see how you can have a band like gnr without contacts of some sort (even though msl is adamant about this)

I have contracts for live shows and for concert recordings for old GNR, so I assume band members would have contracts but the contracts may have expired after Vegas that is possible

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

I have contracts for live shows and for concert recordings for old GNR, so I assume band members would have contracts but the contracts may have expired after Vegas that is possible

wait wait wait...

YOU have contracts for old live recordings, are you a former recording/sound engineer of the classic line up?

If so can you shed some light about uncirculated live recordings?

Josh said in a different interview he wrote 3 or 4 AAA songs. One of them, Chinese Democracy, is the only one that got released.

They had a bunch of lists in the studio, and it was divided by quality and who wrote what. Josh made his mark on what Axl was trying to do. That's cool. Josh is great. (and a good storyteller)

After leaving, he got busy with APC for a while. And then he played on another 5000 records. So yeah... I doubt he had time to meet Axl again. Speaking of APC, Billy Howerdell also worked on Chinese Democracy, if I'm not wrong. Their debut album, Mer de Noms, is just sublime. It's funny how I became a Maynard fan because of APC, not Tool. I remember being blown away by their performance of "3 libras" in some talk show a long time ago. I'm glad he left Guns, APC wouldn't be the same without Josh.

Edited by ProstituteComa
  • Like 1

I was on a two-year contract with them, and by the end of the second year, I realized they weren’t going to leave that studio or that room anytime too soon.

Full interview: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/josh-freese-interview

Wait........what?

I thought some people swore that GnR's musicians weren't under contracts?

I'm so confused now.

But cool interview.

Sounds like he really enjoyed his experience working with Axl.

Wish we could hear what other songs he wrote with Axl!!!