Album vs leaks

So I wasn't around for the pre 2008 leaks and a lot of people make it seem like the cd songs went from amazing to turds from the leaks to the album. I think I've heard Catcher leak on YouTube (might not be the right one idk) but that was pretty ruff to listen to. Mostly cuz it's a YouTube shitty quality but also I just didn't like it. So plz hook me up with some links to the pre 2008 versions

Also give me your input on which songs are better leaked versions or album versions

There's only a few that really stick out in my opinion. Chinese definitely sounds better on the record in my opinion as I love what Ron added to the verses. The intro's a bit long before the music starts but that makes it a great show opener. When I first heard it I thought "this'd be a killer way to open a show" and I was glad it was the first song in the set when the band toured in 2009/10.

I think the earliest demo floating around of IRS (from 1999 I think) sounds the best and is better than the record. It just sounds so much rawer.

The obvious one I guess is Catcher, whilst I've got nothing against Ron's solo, Brian May is one of my all time favourite guitarists and one of the reasons I picked up a guitar. Would have been awesome to have him on a GN'R record.

I'd love it if Axl did a Dylan and released a Bootleg Series style boxset and put out alternate versions of songs (as well as a few unreleased ones!).

I would say the leaks were the singles. That's how fucked up this release was. When you look back you remember a version of Better that sounds like it was recorded inside a broken vacuum cleaner and that's the version you hold dear. Hate to break anyone's pathetic dream over my flabby knee but the leaks suck! The album is the way it should have been experience but as retro as CD was it was still 20 years to early.

• Like 1

The only thing i liked about the leaks, was to hear some bass guitar. Adding Bumblefoot on every track was a bad move exept for CD, Shackler and Better. And it ruined all the bass parts. Too many guitars.

Shame because Ron is a very good rhythm guitarist.

Chicken Dinner sounds better than Shackler, IRS 99 was awesome too.

Edited by Silent Jay

I can see some validity to the IRS, TWAT and Catcher leaks as they sound closer to UYI demos or something but the album versions have legs. But in the end it's the same song, some like Live Era or Lies versions of songs. I prefer Live Era over AFD.

I like both the leaks and the album versions. I don't really like what BBF did in CD except for some songs.

I'd love to hear 1999 demos but in better quality, but as long as that doesn't happen, I think I prefer the album. I would also love hearing a studio version of The Blues (2002 version).

The Blues (MSL leak) and TWAT (Antiquiet & MSL) are way better than the album versions. The first CD leak is the best too, even though the ending line is kinda lame. Ron and Frank really didn't need to add to that song, and I like most of their other stuff on the album. CD got progressively butchered though, the intro was unnecessary, and the guitar intro in 2001/2 was better.

I like the album version of IRS is better than the leaks but agree with BreakDown about wanting the '99 versions in better quality. CITR '99 >>>>>>>>> Album.

I'm surprised people think the Antiquiet leaks are superior. They sound so incomplete to me. I remember actually being relieved when I heard the album and the songs were more put together. The album has, by far, too many layers of production, but the Antiquiet leaks sound like demos (probably tracks for Axl to sing to since his voice is way out in front). And Buckethead's solo doesn't nearly have the same punch on the Antiquiet leaks when compared to the album (or even the '06 leak).

However, the Better '06 and IRS '99 are stronger than the release. Clear, but still gritty and not-too-clean. You can hear just about every instrument being played. I still play that Better all the time.

Haven't listened to Catcher too much, either on the album or the leaks so can't really comment. I remember liking the Brian May solo though.

Edited by BangoSkank

I'm surprised people think the Antiquiet leaks are superior. They sound so incomplete to me.

And the album version so overproduced, it's better less and simple than a lot and excesive.

If the mix was tighter on the leaks I'd probably agree. His voice is just too awkwardly placed for me to enjoy it. There are 1 or 2 layers on the album that aren't needed, but at least it sounds put together.

I don't know why they didn't just keep the Better '06 sound. That could've been released as is.

Can anyone link me the antiquiet ones?

Its frowned upon here but I heard there is a thread on GNFNR that you may want to check out
Thanks. I've heard them all before but can't remember which the antiquiet ones were specifically. Also, hasn't enough time gone by where it shouldn't matter about the demos? AFD and UYI ones are all over YouTube.

They aren't demos, they are the versions of the songs before Ron and Frank ruined them. Had those two never added to CD, that's what those songs would have sounded like. I'd love to hear the others from the disc :(

Most of the leaks do sounds like demos to me in that they are incomplete and feature parts that don't work. I much prefer the album versions and think they did an amazing job with making Chinese Democracy sound the way it does. The only album version that sounds like it needed more work in the bridge is Catcher in the Rye, but I do find it superior to the leak with patched together May solo.