Where does Adler "Back from the Dead" rank with you?

smoking guns

Yeah this album was a surprise. Almost every song is well written and the vocalist is good. His vocals are the slightest bit emo at times but mostly routed in sleeze/grunge rock.

I remember hearing it at first and being shocked that Adler had put something that solid together, but it got basically no press and Adler went into rehab instead of touring it (probably for the best).

But it is no where even close to the standard of Chinese Democracy

If Sixx am had a singer like him they'd be a much better band.

Ps had anyone heard anything about Adler since the tour was cancelled?

Edited by Stealmylife

So Steven made a new album? Good, I was wondering what he was up to and hoping he was doing okay.

I saw a video on demand and thought it was pretty good. Yeah, the singer has a very good voice. Steven looked great behind the drums.

I hope Steven continues to do well. I feel bad for him because I know he took the breakup of GNR the worst of all the original members. I know he was fired, but it was only the beginning of the end.

Solid albu,m the overall sound is good, adds a little extra for the songs which is a good thing.
I really hope Steven recover and tour this album with the band

(although i'm not really like the band members image at all)

Edited by Crash Diet

For the curious:

Not bad at all. It's heavy, it's modern, singer reminds me of Fozzy a bit. I'm personally not that big into the modern sound (AX7, Bullet For My Valentine, Hinder, 3 Days Grace etc.) But this was definitely written to fit that mold and should do well.

I'll give him one thing: Steven sounds fantastic.

As for the album, I'm pretty shocked by all the positive reviews from here. I'm in the middle of it now and... its fine. But its very middle of the road for me. Nothing explosively great. I really liked Alive from Adler's Appetite and IMO that was one of the better rock songs in recent memory. Nothing on here has struck me like that. One of the comments from the Youtube says basically exactly what I thought.

I'm rooting for Steven, but I'm not hearing anything special here. Sounds pretty stock from last 10 years or more. Chinese Democracy wasn't the greatest record ever, but it is far superior to this. I don't think that's even debatable. And it feels like the drop-tune sound is really dated now. It's been standard since Alice In Chains, over 20 years now. It's time for something new to come along and shake the rock world up again.

I don't know. I guess there's something about Slash's guitar that doesn't make his music sound as generic as this. To me, Adler sounds like something I've heard a million times on current radio. Like I said, Steven sounds great, but there's only so much he can do on the drums to make it sound like unique. The vocalist is good but the guitars sound really generic and unnecessarily heavy to me.

If this was Steven and Slash, I think this would be excellent and they could write some great material. Something that Slash has maintained is that GNR guitar sound that IMO has carried him through his albums. He can make the guitar sound good enough that it enhances the whole band and record, which is something I don't think Steven or a drummer can really do. I'll listen to the whole record, and maybe I'm too cynical about current rock music, but nothing grabs me here and just makes me wish it sounded more like Alive.

And you'll never believe me, but I was just about to type that Just Don't Ask was the first song I kind of saw some promise in. Open it up on Spotify and its the one song on the record Slash guests on.

I swear, I'm not just jerking Slash off or lying that I knew about all of that before typing the stuff above. Clearly, to me, there's something that absolutely elevates the songs he plays on and writes.

Probably my favorite post-GNR solo album. Not a terribly high bar (Save the Dolphins!) but still. I like the vibe of the band. Steven has spent so much time forming cover bands and trying to recapture GNR through covers, it's nice to see him drop it and just make music again.

I can't believe people actually like this.

They don't. Its just one of those things people claim to enjoy as part of an ulterior motive- like Slash's solo career. People claim to like it, because they think it'll help detract from Axl and post-Slash GNR.

Edited by Mr. Dude

I can't believe people actually like this.

They don't. Its just one of those things people claim to enjoy as part of an ulterior motive- like Slash's solo career. People claim to like it, because they think it'll help detract from Axl and post-Slash GNR.

lol wut.

To answer bacardi. It's a GNR forum, people enjoying hard rock songs doesn't surprise me a bit.

• Like 1