I'm seeing Kate fucking Bush tomorrow night.

Towelie

You do realise she re-recorded Wuthering Heights with her recent vocals? Her voice matured, but it sounds terrific

I'll still be checking her setlists for the gigs to see if any changes occure.

That was for The Whole Story in the mid-eighties. Still a long time ago......

It seems like she could swap songs out in the first 'act' and the encore, I don't get why people would complain about songs she didn't do. It's interesting why she went with Ninth Wave and part of Aerial, and have to wonder if she had filed these away years ago to do on stage one day. To me, I would have wanted her digging more into Sensual World, Never For Ever and The Dreaming.

• Like 1

Last nights show at the Hammersmith blew any of my previous concert experiences out of the water.

Seriously guys, the rave reviews are not just media hysteria and hyperbole. This show really is something quite special, more like an elaborate theatrical production than a pop concert. Kate is remarkable throughout and her voice is in top form. The whole Ninth Wave part of the show is utterly breathtaking. There really are no words.... It has to be seen to be believed.

I don't know why some folks are complaining about the setlist... Did you really expect her to come out and do Wuthering Heights? She was 16 when she wrote that, she's 56 now. Anybody familiar with her last few albums would know she's a very different artist/singer nowadays. Wuthering Heights would've had to changed dramatically to be performed in 2014. Some things are best left alone.

I can agree with that to a certain extent but considering the fact that these shows are not due to the release of a new album I think it's a bit weird she didn't play the one song that has immortalised her as a part of the British music history. These shows are a retrospective of her work, not a new forward looking wave in her career. If that was the case I could understand she might want to bury some of the iconic songs from the past in order to look forward and focus on the present and the future, but come on, that's not what this is about and people have paid a lot of money to hear her sing the songs that they have loved for many many years. Withering Heights IS Kate Bush. If she wants to bury that then she'd better start writing and recording some new material IMO.

I'm sure Axl gets sick of singing SCOM every single show but he gets that it's so essential to what GNR is that one of their shows is not complete without it.

Last nights show at the Hammersmith blew any of my previous concert experiences out of the water.

Seriously guys, the rave reviews are not just media hysteria and hyperbole. This show really is something quite special, more like an elaborate theatrical production than a pop concert. Kate is remarkable throughout and her voice is in top form. The whole Ninth Wave part of the show is utterly breathtaking. There really are no words.... It has to be seen to be believed.

I don't know why some folks are complaining about the setlist... Did you really expect her to come out and do Wuthering Heights? She was 16 when she wrote that, she's 56 now. Anybody familiar with her last few albums would know she's a very different artist/singer nowadays. Wuthering Heights would've had to changed dramatically to be performed in 2014. Some things are best left alone.

I can agree with that to a certain extent but considering the fact that these shows are not due to the release of a new album I think it's a bit weird she didn't play the one song that has immortalised her as a part of the British music history. These shows are a retrospective of her work, not a new forward looking wave in her career. If that was the case I could understand she might want to bury some of the iconic songs from the past in order to look forward and focus on the present and the future, but come on, that's not what this is about and people have paid a lot of money to hear her sing the songs that they have loved for many many years. Withering Heights IS Kate Bush. If she wants to bury that then she'd better start writing and recording some new material IMO.

I'm sure Axl gets sick of singing SCOM every single show but he gets that it's so essential to what GNR is that one of their shows is not complete without it.

She never advertised the shows as a retrospective of her career. The show is entitled Before The Dawn and it was confirmed when the shows were first announced that she would be bringing The Ninth Wave to the stage.

She still did Cloudbusting, Hounds Of Love and Running Up That Hill.... all of which are very famous hits. I personally didn't think for one minute that she would perform Wuthering Heights at these shows. It's just not her style anymore.

And since when has Kate Bush ever done what was expected of her?

Edited by Towelie

She never advertised the shows as a retrospective of her career. The show is entitled Before The Dawn and it was confirmed when the shows were first announced that she would be bringing The Ninth Wave to the stage.

She still did Cloudbusting, Hounds Of Love and Running Up That Hill.... all of which are very famous hits. I personally didn't think for one minute that she would perform Wuthering Heights at these shows. It's just not her style anymore.

And since when has Kate Bush ever done what was expected of her?

Yes, this is what I thought as well. That's just Kate Bush. Sounds like a great experience, Towelie!

I'm actually surprised how much of the Hounds of Love album she's doing, I would have thought more of the songs she re-recorded for Director's Cut (This Woman's Work was one of them) and more 50 Words for Snow in the set.

She knows there's people going to multiple shows, so hopefully she does switch things out for them, plus she has enough solo piano songs where she can just decide that day to be spontaneous. There's probably songs they rehearsed they aren't putting in the setlist.

The Aerial set was a full album (it was 2 CDs), she threw this new song "Tawny Moon" into it, and there's 2 songs she didn't do from Hounds of Love. I doubt people were dying to hear "Big Sky".

I would've loved The Big Sky! it's my favourite Kate Bush song along with Love and Anger.

Anyway, I was at the show tonight. I somehow got front row dead centre. Good luck to anyone ever trying to top that show. I'm simply beyond words really. Incredible.

Towelie, did you get any merch? There were four members of staff trying to serve hundreds of people, and loads were paying by card and taking their time picking items, sizes etc. It was a right ballache. In the end I just gave the guy in front of me my money and asked him to get me the shirt I wanted.

Edited by drbunnig
  • Like 1