Led Zeppelin tops guitar riffs list -

Led Zeppelin tops guitar riffs list - GN'R no.2

Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love is the greatest guitar riff of all time, as chosen by BBC Radio 2 listeners.

In a list of the top 100, it beat rock legend contenders such as Metallica, Nirvana and The White Stripes to the top spot.

The top five guitar riffs are completed by Guns 'N' Roses' Sweet Child O' Mine at two, AC/DC's Back in Black at three, Deep Purple's Smoke On The Water at four and Derek And The Dominoes' Layla at five.

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page said: "I'm knocked out by this because I didn't expect that to happen - there's been so many wonderful riffs along the way.

"I wanted a riff that really moved, that people would really get, and would bring a smile to their faces... but when I played it with the band, it really went into overdrive.

"There was this intent to have this riff and the movement of it, so it was menacing as well as quite sort of caressing."

A panel of music experts, including music critics, record producers and the station's presenters, helped produce the top 100, which spans generations.

Launched last month by Radio 2's Simon Mayo as part of Guitar Season, a poll asked listeners to cast their vote online for their favourite guitar riff.

Throughout today, listeners were treated to the complete top 100 countdown with the big reveal beginning with Will Gompertz's midnight show and culminating in Zoe Ball announcing numbers 30 through to the top spot in her special Bank Holiday show this afternoon.

Steve Levine, record producer and panelist, said: "Whole Lotta Love is one of the most important guitar riffs of the twentieth century - the moment you hear literally two notes of it, you know exactly what it is."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/led-zeppelin-tops-guitar-riffs-list-170011945.html#UwBwqES

I didn't dispute that. Though EVERY is a bit extreme imo. Maybe.

It's just Page was a mean, mean, mean riff machine. I don't really compare music in that way, anyway. Love Iommi too. (but Page is better, at least as a guitar player)

Edited by Rovim

I'm also a massive Led Zep fan but as far as riffs go Tony Iommi is the man.

I'm not saying Sabbath was better than LZ, or anything like that- but Iommis has a way better strike rate/percentage over contemporaries like Page or Blackmore...what have either of those guys come up with since the 70's?

A lot of the 80's Sabbath stuff may not be all that incredible ( Tony Martin albums, I mean) but it's a safe bet the riff is a knockout.

Malcolm Young? Fuck yeah, he's awesome but I'll still say Iommi any day of the week and twice on the Sabbath.

• Like 1

I'm not saying Sabbath was better than LZ, or anything like that- but Iommis has a way better strike rate/percentage over contemporaries like Page or Blackmore...what have either of those guys come up with since the 70's?

A lot of the 80's Sabbath stuff may not be all that incredible ( Tony Martin albums, I mean) but it's a safe bet the riff is a knockout.

Malcolm Young? Fuck yeah, he's awesome but I'll still say Iommi any day of the week and twice on the Sabbath.

Page did quite enough when he was still relevant. His 80's work is just a nice bonus imo.

Page did quite enough when he was still relevant. His 80's work is just a nice bonus imo.

Cross Purposes from 1994 ( one of the "shittier" Tony Martin fronted Sabbath albums) has more monster riffs on it than Page came up with in two decades.

Edited by DR DOOM

Cross Purposes from 1994 ( one of the "shittier" Tony Martin fronted Sabbath albums) has more monster riffs on it than Page came up with in two decades.

That's a nice little piece of information. I'll check that one out. Thanks.

The album before it, Dehumaniser ( with Dio, 1992) is a prime example- I just mentioned Cross Purposes because it's a "bad" Sabbath album but still chock full of bad ass riffs.

The album before it, Dehumaniser ( with Dio, 1992) is a prime example- I just mentioned Cross Purposes because it's a "bad" Sabbath album but still chock full of bad ass riffs.

I'll check them both out. I can enjoy just one part of a song, especially if it's a badass riff. Thanks again.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Black Sabbath's The Devil You Know >>> anything jimmy page did, ever.

Dio :wub:

As much as I love Sabbath, I can't endorse that statement.

I'm in no way trying to denigrate the fucking brilliance of Page, I just think Iommi was and is overwhelmingly stronger in the riff department.

The post Gillan material definitely diminishes Iommi's hit/miss riff ratio greatly. He pretty much started repeating himself to some degree from Vol. 4 onwards.

And then there's Hendrix.

Of course: Purple Haze, Voodoo Chile (Slight Return), Fire, Manic Depression et al.

I'll take Hendrix over all of them. Riffs department though? Idk, it's close imo.

Edited by Rovim

You've finally won me over. Pls come to attitude and tell wfa how much of a shit he is for thinking Slash is better than Iommi.

• Like 1