Led Zeppelin tops guitar riffs list -

Zep were critically reviled while they were active. Totally shit upon.

As were Sabbath.

But critics are bottom feeding scumfucks

my favorite is rolling stone magazine. they blasted the first album then years later put it in the top 100 albums of all time :lol:

i love sabbath and zeppelin but pound for pound riff vs riff i think sabbath wins hands down. the only time i was ever disappointed in iommi's riffs was on 13. even the piece of shit forbidden had awesome riffs.

• Like 3

'impact' as in, inventing a whole new musical genre?

I think certainly Zeppelin were bigger - although, not by much - but I think you are approaching the issue in the wrong way. Firstly, radio play is academic, since, Zeppelin refused to put out singles and both bands, Zeppelin and Sabbath, regarded themselves as 'album orientated' acts anyhow. If we judged the bands in this manner, Sabbath would win in fact (Paranoid, UK No 1, Never Say Die, UK 21). Zeppelin traded on their 'supergroup' status and gained album sales through, word of mouth - not, radio. Similarly with Sabbath. I would be inclined more to judge both band's popularity on concert attendances.

I do not agree that Sabbath became big, post facto. They were huge in the 1970s. Do not take my word for it,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRhZISswW_k

Deep Purple were also massive.

• Like 1

That video's from Cal Jam 74, which was a festival, as I alluded to that earlier, Sabbath could play to crowds that size at a festival, but rarely would they fill a place that size on their own. It's also telling that they're playing it in the daylight.

I remember reading somewhere that Deep Purple were the biggest selling band in 73, bigger than Zeppelin or anyone. Infact they headlined that very Cal Jam 74 alongside ELP. First gig with the new lineup of David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes.

Nobody creates an entire scene in a vacuum, Purple and Zep had almost as much to do with the creation of metal as Sabbath did, it goes back further than that though.

Edited by moreblack

For the record I'm not really surprised that a Joe Six Pack poll didn't have Iommi/Sabbath as #1, and truth be told it's probably GNR at #2 that is more outrageous than LZ having the #1 riff.

I can't really separate Sabbath, Zeppelin and Purple- they all had their own thing to offer, it just so happens that Sabbath's prime asset was the riff.

Zep were critically reviled while they were active. Totally shit upon.

As were Sabbath.

But critics are bottom feeding scumfucks

True, but for whatever reasons radio played the shit out of them. Let me ask you this, if we could travel back in time to say 1985, isn't it true that Led Zeppelin were already considered legends? But Black Sabbath on the other hand didn't quite achieve that status until a little later, maybe even the 90's? As MoreBlack said, it took people like Sharon Osbourne screaming Sabbath this and Sabbath that, plus bands like Metallica labeling them as an influence to help put Sabbath on the mountain they are today. But Zeppelin seemed to get there on their own and a lot quicker.

I would say that in 1985, both Zep and Sabs were considered legends with Sabbath being considered the more influential of the 2 at the time because of metal being so popular and with the heavier styles of metal coming into their own. Plus with Ozzy being a mega popular solo and touring act, he kept Sabbath fresh in people's minds.

I would say that Zeppelin certainly got played on classic rock radio more often and with a wider variety of songs. In NY, there was a nightly spot on the classic rock stations called "Get the Led out" that played a block of Zep songs and that went on for years, decades even. For all I know, it could still be going on. And they would play any Zeppelin song. Not just the usual suspects. Sabbath on the other hand, had maybe 10 songs total that would get picked from.

So, radio wise-Zeppelin easily

Influence...in the mid 80's, Sabbath definitely overtook Zeppelin, not just influencing metal and all of its sub-genres, but goth, industrial as well.

Thanks for the thoughts man.

• Like 1

I would say that in 1985, both Zep and Sabs were considered legends with Sabbath being considered the more influential of the 2 at the time because of metal being so popular and with the heavier styles of metal coming into their own. Plus with Ozzy being a mega popular solo and touring act, he kept Sabbath fresh in people's minds.

At the same time though, Zeppelin was just as big an influence on those same hard rock and metal bands. It was literally attack-of-the-Zeppelin-clones for a while in the 80s on the radio and MTV rock shows.

Kingdom Come!

And Badlands, Whitesnake, Great White, VanHagar, Blue Murder, Tesla, Zebra, still going on today with bands like Wolfmother and Rival Sons.

At the same time though, Zeppelin was just as big an influence on those same hard rock and metal bands. It was literally attack-of-the-Zeppelin-clones for a while in the 80s on the radio and MTV rock shows.

Kingdom Come!

And Badlands, Whitesnake, Great White, VanHagar, Blue Murder, Tesla, Zebra, still going on today with bands like Wolfmother and Rival Sons.

Blue Murder's first album is great

I like Sabbath, but no way are they in the same league as Zeppelin. Zeppelin is the quintessential rock n roll band. Anything heavy is a derivative of Zeppelin somewhere along the line. Other bands may have played harder, but no one was heavier.

• Like 1

I think Zeppelin are musical excrement. The Stones surely are the quintessential rock n' roll band.

I like the Stones. They're a different kind of band than Zep. With Zep the emphasis is more on the rock. With the Stones the emphasis is more on the roll. As a fan of rock n roll its silly to slag off or diminish the greatness of either.

Zeppelin have no swing. It is just, Plant wailing like a woman with his big poncy hair do. It is just cacky songs about Elves and Lord of the Rings. Those are not 'rock n' roll' lyrics. There is no attitude or grease there. There is no way Zeppelin can be considered in the same league as The Stones - or for that matter, The Beatles, The Who, Kinks, Purple, Sabbath, Adler's Appetite - alright, I joke. Zeppelin fans are also the most intensely annoying rock n' roll fans ever.

Zeppelin have no swing. It is just, Plant wailing like a woman with his big poncy hair do. It is just cacky songs about Elves and Lord of the Rings. Those are not 'rock n' roll' lyrics. There is no attitude or grease there. There is no way Zeppelin can be considered in the same league as The Stones - or for that matter, The Beatles, The Who, Kinks, Purple, Sabbath, Adler's Appetite - alright, I joke. Zeppelin fans are also the most intensely annoying rock n' roll fans ever.

LMAO LMAO LMAO ELF LORD LMAO NO GREASE LMAO NO SWANG LMAO MY PRECIOUS LMAO

• Like 1

I would rather listen to the Bay City Rollers than Zeppelin. Impression of a Zeppelin fan: '''Zeppelin are the greatest, bestest ever, most super, most wonderful, brilliant, excellent, band ever ever ever, and if you do not agree you clearly do not know anything about music''.

I would rather listen to the Bay City Rollers than Zeppelin. Impression of a Zeppelin fan: '''Zeppelin are the greatest, bestest ever, most super, most wonderful, brilliant, excellent, band ever ever ever, and if you do not agree you clearly do not know anything about music''.

Why do you always have to generalize the shit out of everything? not every music fan is the same, and not every Led Zeppelin fan is a blind follower like you're trying to present.

Why do you always have to generalize the shit out of everything? not every music fan is the same, and not every Led Zeppelin fan is a blind follower like you're trying to present.

dd puts far more energy into the bands he dislikes than he does into the bands he likes. The notion that Zeppelin only writes about elves is ludicrous. They started out a blues band and that's pretty much all they did for the first few records. dd seems to have a very limited knowledge of music- even of the bands he allegedly loves. He doesn't really know why he likes them so he has to insult other bands and other people's tastes to make up for his lack of perspective. The way he talks about music is the way I looked at things when I was 12, 13 years old. His musings are based on lazy image assesment and lack substance. Still, I think its entertaining- I can argue his point of view and state the case for his tastes better than he can.

• Like 2

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear

How years ago in days of old when magic filled the air

'twas in the darkest depths of Mordor, mm-I met a girl so fair

but Gollum and the evil one crept up and slipped away with her

her, her, yeah, and ain't nothin' I can do, no

- 'Ramble On' by Lead (I am no long utilising their silly misspelling any longer), Zeppelin.