Your First Thoughts on the UYI Albums

Yeah, I thought even the filler was cool on those albums. Each song seems to have at least something I can sink my teeth into- whether its a Slash solo, an Axl vocal lead, or a darkly humored Izzy lyric.

except So Fine- nothing redeeming there

I still love Shotgun Blues. :facepalm:

I played II first, so I heard Civil War first. I didn't like it that much. I still don't. Never understood the great love for it. Then I skipped to KOHD, just to hear it, cuz I was young and that's what you do, and I thought, "That doesn't sound right at all." :lol: Overall they ended up being my favorite GNR albums.

First GNR album I heard in full, was UYI 2. I think I only knew PC and Patience before. I was slightly apprehensive, because I wasn't really into rock at the time. Heard Civil War and was pleasantly surprised. UYI 2 was my favorite GNR album for a while then. It took me much longer to get into UYI 1. I still love all the songs today (except My World). I thought it was great to have two Don't Cry's as well, as I loved, loved, loved it.

And yes, GITR was very popular then. I still like it now just because how I felt about it back then.

About it being two albums. Didn't Axl or Slash say somewhere it was because it would be less expensive than a double album and you could buy one and your friend the other, so that you could copy it and listen to both ? I never questioned it.

I think the problem with the Illusion albums is that they don't groove like AFD did. Stevens contribution to GnR is often mocked but he made the band groove, he made the songs move. Sorum came in and played really straight for me, he didn't let the songs breath. I still listen and enjoy them though.

Back in the day I remember I got Illusion 2 first. I loved it from the first listen and I thought Get in The Ring was the best song EVER!!!!!! Because of the very part that I now think is silly and immature, suppose thats the difference between a 14 year old and a 36 year old though

I remember a lot of people trying to compare it to Metallica's black album.

Keep in mind by the time UYI 1 and 2 came out, people had heard these songs: Civil War, You Could Be Mine, Estranged, Double Talkin Jive, Live and Let Die, Perfect Crime, Bad Obsession, 14 Years, Dust N' Bones, November Rain, Knockin on Heavens Door, The Garden, Don't Cry, Dead Horse, Pretty Tied Up, Yesterdays, but unless you were already trading with people or willing to pay for the bootlegs, there's no way people would have heard a lot of it unless they were at the shows.

I kept fast rewinding the tape to listen to RNTDH and Dust n Bones because I knew DC and LNLD. All I remember is we used to play the rockers really loud and drive very fast in my friends car. Nevermind was the new AFD.

It took a while for the epics to sink in. I only really got Estranged on Live Era. I made a tape of RNDTH, Perfect crime, Double talking Jive and Garden of Eden and played it on a loop in the car.

I kept fast rewinding the tape to listen to RNTDH and Dust n Bones because I knew DC and LNLD. All I remember is we used to play the rockers really loud and drive very fast in my friends car. Nevermind was the new AFD.

It took a while for the epics to sink in. I only really got Estranged on Live Era. I made a tape of RNDTH, Perfect crime, Double talking Jive and Garden of Eden and played it on a loop in the car.

Yeah, you're right about Nevermind being the new AFD which was the new Nevermind the Bollocks. They all served as like a year zero for music.

Yeah, I thought even the filler was cool on those albums. Each song seems to have at least something I can sink my teeth into- whether its a Slash solo, an Axl vocal lead, or a darkly humored Izzy lyric.

except So Fine- nothing redeeming there

I don't mind So Fine live. I think the back-up singers and more Axl makes it better.

I remember listening to them, and immediately thinking they picked the perfect colors for each ablum cover. The yellow/red fit UYI 1 so good, and the blue/purple was dead on for UYI 2. That was my first reaction/thoughts on the UYI experience.

P.S. loved them from first listen. UYI 2 is still my favorite GN'R album to this day.

• Like 1

I liked UYI2 better, but loved them both. I had 2 on CD, and 1 on cassette. (I don't remember why,I think the store had sold out of UYI1 cd's.) I got 1 on CD a few months later in a collector's box with a Coma shirt. I think my wife just recently threw that shirt out by mistake. It was in really good nick because I only wore it once or twice.

I was a kid so i got exctied about all the cursing. Felt badass with my parental advisory sticker. :lol:

I actually remember the first thing I did when I got the cassettes was to pore over the liner notes and count the amount of curse words. I think I was around 10 so GNR were kind of off limits or at least discouraged by my Mom. Eventually she just let me listen to whatever though, because she caught me listening to Bon Jovi and enjoying it. She knew then the situation was dire and that me hearing vulgar lyrics was far more preferable than listening to Bon Jovi. A couple of years later she was blasting NIN and Marilyn Manson in the car. Looking back on it I think the Bon Jovi incident really scared her.

• Like 1

It was a lot to take in musically. All these songs... Liked Dust and Bones right away, Estranged too. Yesterdays, You Could Be Mine, then November Rain, Dead Horse, Coma, and November Rain.

Then I just listened to everything and it was easy to enjoy all of it except My World.

Yeah, you're right about Nevermind being the new AFD which was the new Nevermind the Bollocks. They all served as like a year zero for music.
Are you trying to say Im not right about everything else? Don't you know who I am? I'll have you killed!

It was a lot to take in musically. All these songs... Liked Dust and Bones right away, Estranged too. Yesterdays, You Could Be Mine, then November Rain, Dead Horse, Coma, and November Rain.

Then I just listened to everything and it was easy to enjoy all of it except My World.

My friend used to call me up and say Guess what I'm doing now, when he was romancing his lady and leave the phone off the hook. But I never listened. I probably would now though.

Are you trying to say Im not right about everything else? Don't you know who I am? I'll have you killed!

My friend used to call me up and say Guess what I'm doing now, when he was romancing his lady and leave the phone off the hook. But I never listened. I probably would now though.

U fuckin' with my head? just say what you mean already. Explain it like you would to a retarded 5 year old inbred.

U fuckin' with my head? just say what you mean already. Explain it like you would to a retarded 5 year old inbred.

I think it was pretty straight forward. What don't you feel is clear? Maybe you need to listen to My World again.
  • Like 1

I think it was pretty straight forward. What don't you feel is clear? Maybe you need to listen to My World again.

The guess what I'm doing now line was clear, it's just stylistically, it didn't seem your thing, so I thought there was something more. Straightforward is not what you usually deliver is all. There was no "what the fuck moment" I was suspicious.

Worded it in a cuntish way, sorry.

Edited by Rovim

The guess what I'm doing now line was clear, it's just stylistically, it didn't seem your thing, so I thought there was something more. Straightforward is not what you usually deliver is all. There was no "what the fuck moment" I was suspicious.

Worded it in a cuntish way, sorry.

I'm normally trying to be straight forward, but yeah sometimes I get muddled and just firing off random quotes from Dishonored. Rot in the void!

just reminiscing on UYI and how stupid we were liking all the swearing and sexy time noises. My friend also had a leather jacket with "Life?" tip-exed ( copy dex?) on the arm. We were progressive thinkers even then.