How many songs Steven Adler play for use your illusion

I think the problem for Matt (and correct me if I'm wrong on the chronology) is that he was thrown straight into recording a double album, plus touring and he had no time to develop a style of his own within GNRs. There's so much material and so many lengthy songs that only Steven could have put in a "heartfelt" performance on them, as he had lived with most of the songs for years. The magic didn't happen for him for a while either, the classic Adler feel isn't there yet on some of the early demos.

For Matt (aside from taking direction from Axl), I imagine he was hit with such a barrage of songs, that he probably charted most of them out, wrote down notes about fills and beats and basically played the songs from a sheet of paper, as he just couldn't digest that amount of material so quickly.

I heard he knew Coma. Those songs were all written before he got fired

I heard he was in a coma, but never heard the had anything to do with that song.

I guess they had a pain in the butt to get Civil War to work in the studio, but I do think that it is by far the best drumming on UYI. Steven was right about Matt sounding like a drum machine with no feel - Casio 1000X would have done the same thang.

I feel like losing Steven may have ruined some of the more rock n roll songs but Matt worked well on Nov Rain, YCBM, Estranged, Don't Cry.

Yeah his work on November Rain, YCBM, and Estranged was cool. Don't Cry though? stiff. Kinda stiff. Steven said he had a beautiful, delicate drum ideas for Don't Cry. We'll never know. But even before I've read about it, I didn't care for Matt's work on it.

I think Matt made them more stadium rocking. He sounds a bit mechanical on the more rock n roll ones but maybe that's what they needed. a strong, slow hand not an erratic fuck up. Slash and Duff could barely stand on that tour, imagine Adler falling off his drum riser every other show with Axl storming off after each missed beat. Plus Matt had great hair, look at the viscosity of it.

• Like 1

I feel like losing Steven may have ruined some of the more rock n roll songs but Matt worked well on Nov Rain, YCBM, Estranged, Don't Cry.

Yeah his work on November Rain, YCBM, and Estranged was cool. Don't Cry though? stiff. Kinda stiff. Steven said he had a beautiful, delicate drum ideas for Don't Cry. We'll never know. But even before I've read about it, I didn't care for Matt's work on it.

I think Matt made them more stadium rocking. He sounds a bit mechanical on the more rock n roll ones but maybe that's what they needed. a strong, slow hand not an erratic fuck up. Slash and Duff could barely stand on that tour, imagine Adler falling off his drum riser every other show with Axl storming off after each missed beat. Plus Matt had great hair, look at the viscosity of it.

Of all the drummers in the world. They could have found one that knew his shit and was technically capable, and also was not a fuck up and not as stiff. Matt was not good enough to be in Guns. Imagine having a drummer like Josh Freese back then. That guy is like a human metronom, but also has the feel, is quite original and creative. But could have been worse.

I just find the Civil War Drumming to be quite awesome. You still get Steven's retarded way of doing shit, but it fits so well. Very limited, but it works. It sounds more like Guns to me, but even that could have been done better by a monster drummer like Freese. (Oh My God's drums are so cool, and Freese came up with most of the drum ideas for Chinese)

• Like 1

Matt Sorum confirmed via Twitter that it was him on Days of Thunder version, not Adler. I remember seeing it at the time.

Sorum lies. It was Steven, but he was really high at the time, so he lost all his groove and sounded like a robot.

• Like 2

Matt Sorum confirmed via Twitter that it was him on Days of Thunder version, not Adler. I remember seeing it at the time.

The feels not Adler, the drum kit is definitely Sorum's "drums played in stadium sized toilet cubicle" sound and most importantly there's no difference between it and the UYI version.

• 4 months later...

Steven played on the following at different times

Civil War

Perfect Crime

Don't Cry

November Rain

Don't Damn Me

Locomotive

Garden of Eden

Dust N' Bones

KOHD

Bad Obsession

Back Off Bitch

The Garden

YCBM was written but not recorded until after Steven left. Coma and Estranged were probably still being written when he left. Bad Apples and the rest probably the same story.

Also, Steven was fired in May 1990...Matt was hired in June and KOHD was probably the first song he did as a member of Guns.

Anyway what does it mean "delicate" in the world of drums? :D

It's Steven Adler and words. What did you expect? why are there clouds in the sky? there is no reason!

Delicate drums... Lars could've used some of that on Nothing Else Matters
Bob Rock is to blame for this stupid drum sound, and robotic as shit patterns.

They could have made UYI with a session drummer if they wanted, and Steven could have played those songs fine in concert. If Axl had met Elton by then, he probably would have borrowed Elton's drummer to get the drum sound he wanted on those 3 songs.

There's an interview where Matt reveals he was brought in just to do the album, not the tour, but at the end of it all, they offered him the tour as well.