Live ERA 87 -93 YCBM Vocals....

.....I believe the Vocals for You Could Be Mine on Live ERA have been recorded by Rose in 1999 on top of a live proformance from Tokyo 1992. Go listen for youself and judge.

I know its nothing important, just thought i'd throw it out there. It's my first thread!

.....I believe the Vocals for You Could Be Mine on Live ERA have been recorded by Rose in 1999 on top of a live proformance from Tokyo 1992. Go listen for youself and judge.

I know its nothing important, just thought i'd throw it out there. It's my first thread!

A majority of live era is re recorded. It's pretty common knowledge by now, not being an ass or anything but you'll get a lot of "we know" responses.

YCBM is one of those songs that has some original vocals mixed with new recorded (most of the song is basically re recorded except for the part WhazUp mentioned), Jungle is another. I have nfi what Axl was thinking at the time.

Edited by nightrain86

If you're interested in knowing which songs were re recorded or had parts re corded here's a list from the top of my head -

Nightrain

Brownstone

Jungle

Use to love her

November Rain

My Michelle

Rocket Queen

Estranged

You could be mine

Sweet Child

Pretty tied up

Move to the city

Probably missed one or two but yeah, that's about it I think.

Well Axl's voice in 99 was amazing then!

Meh, the first thing I thought when listening to Live Era was "I don't remember him sounding like this?" I was utterly disappointed with how big of a mess the album really is. The mix is poor, the re-recorded vocals sound thin and have none of the anger or rasp in them that was there originally... IndiannaRose gave a good summary of all the editing they did:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/25930-live-era/?p=406914

Thanks for the replies guys. I had no idea some of the Live Era vocals were re-recorded. Still a great live Album!

How can it be a live album, when it's not live? I don't mean to be an ass, but once I found out I was duped way back when, that album never got played again. If I want a studio recording, I'll listen to one. If I want a live recording, I'll listen to a bootleg. But listening to a fake live record?

That's just horse shit lol

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. I had no idea some of the Live Era vocals were re-recorded. Still a great live Album!

How can it be a live album, when it's not live? I don't mean to be an ass, but once I found out I was duped way back when, that album never got played again. If I want a studio recording, I'll listen to one. If I want a live recording, I'll listen to a bootleg. But listening to a fake live record?

Well some of it is live. I'll call it a 'Live/Mix' album from now on. I wouldn't call it a fake live record.

What is the consensus round here?

I hate to burst your bubble, but almost all live albums are sweetened up in the studio.

• Like 1

Do you listen to Lies? The Live Like A Suicide portion isn't live either

Yes, most of Live Era is re-recorded, or tampered with. You can literally hear the new vocals spliced in towards the end of Estranged -- he leaves the raspy throat for most of the outro, then suddenly pastes in his new higher-pitched squeals during one of the last verses. I've posted it here before with the exact timecode, I can't be bothered to do it now, but if you listen with a keen ear you'll hear the sloppy editing job. Nevertheless, I do like the album for what it is, and being a fan of Axl's voice I find it interesting to hear what essentially becomes a 1999 re-recording of the band's Greatest Hits. :lol:

It's Interesting hearing Axl's voice on the 1999 recordings of Live Era, you can hear the 4 half years difference between this and SFTD. Sympathy For The Devil was recorded in November 1994(i think) and i imagine the live era recordings were early-mid 1999. Not a major difference, just enough for us GnR fans to notice!

Thanks for the replies!

I hate to burst your bubble, but almost all live albums are sweetened up in the studio.

Sure, but not like Live Era. Yes, all bands do overdubs, change the mix here and there and have a singer that sings a few of his lines again. This is all done for a better listening experience. A flat note here and there might be authentic, but it's also painfull to listen to. What they don't do is completely redo all vocals for most of the album. It's a bit of a difference there. And in Axl's case, it didn't even make for a better listening experience either, so fuck knows why he felt it was necessary.

Edited by RNRS

Axl's re-recorded parts on that album are some of his best vocals ever. People need to stop complaining that they got "ripped off" because the album wasn't 100% live. If you're a GnR fan you cant not enjoy most of this album unless if you force yourself not to

• Like 2

I know that NOW, but back when I was younger I had no clue. As such those albums no longer get played and I don't even buy them anymore. Thank god for youtube. You can listen to all of Live Era in it's original form. That's how I listen to live recordings now.

Axl's re-recorded parts on that album are some of his best vocals ever. People need to stop complaining that they got "ripped off" because the album wasn't 100% live. If you're a GnR fan you cant not enjoy most of this album unless if you force yourself not to

There is a youtube montage of the entire Live Era record in it's unaltered original form. That's how THIS GNR fan listens to the record.