Live ERA 87 -93 YCBM Vocals....

You could be mine in rio (both nights) is pretty spetacular, despite all the technical difficulties.

specially second night which is one of the crazyest GNR concerts I ever had the privilege of listening to.

this song may have sounded just as great on other concerts but the recordings are not available.

Edited by ludurigan

Live Era is missing DTJ and Civil War.

I don't like the sound either, too much bass... and while I like the performance of November Rain and Rocket Queen, I'm still very disappointed of the re-recorded vocals. I don't care what other bands or labels do, if it's called "life album", it should be completely life. I'm glad they don't touch the music...

I really don't understand people saying "this is my favorite live album" even though they know it's NOT live. It's like, how fucking stupid can you even BE?

• Like 1

Rocket queen sounds so empty without rhythm. If axl didn't like how gilby played (assuming that's why his guitar is ommited on some tracks and not izzys) he should've just used shows that Izzy played.

Didn't Slash take care of Live Era from that end? You really can't hear the rhythm very prominently whether it was Izzy or Gilby during the UYI era. I'm not sure why you'd attribute that to Axl. I'd think that's more on Slash.

I don't like the sound either, too much bass... and while I like the performance of November Rain and Rocket Queen, I'm still very disappointed of the re-recorded vocals. I don't care what other bands or labels do, if it's called "life album", it should be completely life. I'm glad they don't touch the music...

I really don't understand people saying "this is my favorite live album" even though they know it's NOT live. It's like, how fucking stupid can you even BE?

Name 1 live album that was mass produced by a label that is completely live. The most well regarded live albums are never completely live. Its like, how fucking stupid can YOU even be?

Edited by Mr. Dude

Rocket queen sounds so empty without rhythm. If axl didn't like how gilby played (assuming that's why his guitar is ommited on some tracks and not izzys) he should've just used shows that Izzy played.

Didn't Slash take care of Live Era from that end? You really can't hear the rhythm very prominently whether it was Izzy or Gilby during the UYI era. I'm not sure why you'd attribute that to Axl. I'd think that's more on Slash.

Name 1 live album that was mass produced by a label that is completely live. The most well regarded live albums are never completely live. Its like, how fucking stupid can YOU even be?

So you're saying that it's ok to put out a fake live album because, you know, everyone does it? haha Give me a break.

• Like 1

Live At Leeds

Live Bootleg

Live Rust

Weld

Are you fucking kidding me? Did you just list Weld? That is one of the most notoriously tinkered with, sweetened, overdubbed live albums in the history of music. That is one of the great ironies of Neil, that he will release studio records that are essentially live and he will pore over and rearrange his " live" albums.... and Live Rust was not 100% str8 live either nor was Year of the Horse. I thought you were a Neil Young guy? You must be one of those fans whose knowledge starts and ends at Heart of Gold.

So you're saying that it's ok to put out a fake live album because, you know, everyone does it? haha Give me a break.

Its not a fake live album, because its mostly live. By your definition, there is no such thing as a live album. Are you suppose to be smart because you know, everyone is stupid? haha Give me a break.

Edited by Mr. Dude
  • Like 1

You can't hear rhythm well on most bootlegs cause the sound guys only cared about Slash. I attribute it to Axl because he was likely the one in charge of Live Era and had the tracks for all the inputs. Hell, he took his voice out of Dust N Bones even on the parts where they sang through one microphone. You can hear rhythm on tracks on Live Era that actually have it just fine

Its not a fake live album, because its mostly live. By your definition, there is no such thing as a live album. Are you suppose to be smart because you know, everyone is stupid? haha Give me a break.

No, I'm smart because I know the difference between "live" and "studio" recorded albums and refer to them accordingly.

I don't believe any of it had been re recorded, it seems it's just cut and paste from numerous love shows. Are there any examples of the original live recording before they were tampered with?

Go to Youtube. Open up two tabs. In one tab, load up November Rain from Tokyo 1992. In the other, load up November Rain from Live Era. Now, what I want you to do is, listen to each vocal phrase and then pause, and start the same vocal phrase in the other tab. By the second line, you'll hear it. Totally different. Not only that, but Slash's second solo? Fixed in the studio.

Give it a try. The entire vocal performance was re-recorded.

No, I'm smart because I know the difference between "live" and "studio" recorded albums and refer to them accordingly.

If you know the difference why can't you name a single album that is entirely live?

Edited by Mr. Dude

You can't hear rhythm well on most bootlegs cause the sound guys only cared about Slash. I attribute it to Axl because he was likely the one in charge of Live Era and had the tracks for all the inputs. Hell, he took his voice out of Dust N Bones even on the parts where they sang through one microphone. You can hear rhythm on tracks on Live Era that actually have it just fine

That's not true- Slash had as much to do with Live Era as Axl- he talks about it in his book and in various interviews. Axl and Slash worked independently of each other on that release.

I don't really understand why people need proof of it being re-recorded when all you need to do is listen. If people can't tell this stuff is re-recorded it's no wonder there's still fans out there who think Axl's a decent singer - Most of the re-recorded vocals on Live Era are absolutely dire.

I don't believe any of it had been re recorded, it seems it's just cut and paste from numerous love shows. Are there any examples of the original live recording before they were tampered with?

Prootools? I used to believe this also but some of the hardcore Axl voice analysts here seem fairly convincing. Then I realised I actually do not care - it is a terrible album regardless.

If you know the difference why can't you name a single album that is entirely live?

Nirvana's MTV unplugged. And again, by definition of the word "live", if there is anything on the record that was recorded in the studio and then added to it, it's not live. Call it live. Refer to it as live, whatever. It's not "live."

Nirvana's MTV unplugged. And again, by definition of the word "live", if there is anything on the record that was recorded in the studio and then added to it, it's not live. Call it live. Refer to it as live, whatever. It's not "live."

Okay, that's one, but the fact remains that most albums that are released as live, while mostly live are still sweetened in the studio. Nirvana's Unplugged is unique for the reason that it really is 100% 1-take live. The point is that you're acting like a purist about it, but you can only name 1 album that is 100% live. There is really not much evidence to support your argument- unless Nirvana Unplugged is the only "live" album that you've ever liked. Personally I appreciate albums like Weld, Live Rust, Live on Two Legs, and Live Era. I just don't see the point in being unnecessarily self-righteous about it. If they add some backing vocals or accompaniments it doesn't mean that you still can't/don't/won't capture the essence of the performance. A lot of times it makes it better. If you want 100% live 100% of the time then go to the shows. Nirvana Unplugged is awesome, but it is the exception that proves the rule. Your assertions to the contrary only serve to prove the larger point.

"Filmed on Nov. 18, 1993, at a studio in Manhattan, the band’s Unplugged session was unusual for being recorded entirely live to tape; most guests relied on multiple takes. Remembers former Nirvana publicist Jim Merlis: “The press [at the shoot] had been at the Stone Temple Pilots’ Unplugged, and I believe they did every song, like, three or four times, and it was really boring. I was worried it could really, really go wrong.”

Edited by Mr. Dude
  • Like 1

One of the biggest offenders being Judas Priest's Unleashed in the studio East.

To be fair to the Priest, Halford had the flu during that whole Japan stint. Luckily they redid the entire album pretty much and all at one time. It's still one of my favorite "live" albums regardless.

Anyone who doesn't notice that the vocals were re-recorded on Live Era has got no clue on how Axl's voice sounds live;

Go listen to some bootlegs.

You will have a chance to listen to the best band ever playing live like only they could;

And when you listen to enough boots, then you will know the difference;

I'm sure Oasis live album 'Familiar to Millions' is 100% Live. Although i havn't listened to it in a while, so i could be wrong.

only thing i recall being recorded in the studio for it was the chorus for Wonderwall which Liam didnt sing either of the nights, and the ending for Wonderwall with noel doing the "i said maybeee" parts too as they just didnt do that at all live during those gigs.