Radicals and Racists, Don't Point Your Finger At Me...You're One In A Million

I like One In A Million, not for the sentiments it portrays but I guess because of the honesty of the song. I like the untampered with sound of the album and Axl sounds great on the acoustic tracks. I feel like any other band could have taken this song and turned it into a top 10 radio hit. I feel like GNR, on the other hand, whether this was this intention or not, I don't know, but they didn't edit or filter themselves, and overall the song still sounds great, the chord progressions are good, Axl's melodies are good, the only part I'm not real big on is the chorus, the chorus seems kind of lacking, but it seems they perhaps had a chance to turn this song into a top 10 radio hit, and well, with the lyrics it would never be received that way.

I don't agree with the lyrics or agree with what's being said in them, I guess I like the unfiltered nature of the song, that they decided to take that route despite the criticism that would come about, I like the idea that they took a beautiful sounding song and decided to write the ugly lyrics over top of it because it presents sort of a dichotomy, beautiful sounding chord progressions with beautiful melodies from Axl, combined with these ugly yet honest lyrics. That's what I like about the song.

Great song, but the lyrics were a heavy handed attempt from Axl imo. I don't think the intent was to spread hate or some shit. He tried to talk about something that bothered him, and it didn't really work for most people. Didn't really work for me either, but it didn't ruin the song for me. Musically, it's still great.

Probably the first time Axl's self entitlement and self aggrandizing showed it's face. Axl said those lyrics because he felt like he could get away with it, and he more or less did. It also fueled his persecution complex. The lyrics are undoubtedly racist, xenophobic, and homophobic, and that people argue otherwise is beyond me (not to say Axl is or was all those things, but the lyrics were). But worse yet for the band, it was another one of the first instances that Axl was doing something crazy and wrong for the band, and they didn't have the backbone to tell him no. Musically I enjoy it a lot which makes the song all the more frustrating. Great Axl vocals, great guitar, but it's nearly undone by rubbish lyrics.

Slash said "Sympathy for the Devil" was the sound of the band breaking up, but "One in a Million" was the song that started the fall.

Edited by TeeJay410

Great song, great lyrics. You're a self righteous cunt if a minority has wronged you and you've never cslled them a chink fat fucking hooray for tolerance! hooray for tolerance! before.

But writing a song about it is not the same thing. Even if I get why Axl did it. He was always honest as a musician. It's just that he was very hateful back then. I still disagree with his choice, and btw, a minority wronged me and I've never called them a chink fat fuckin' hooray for tolerance! and I don't think I'm self righteous at all, but maybe I am.

Great song, great lyrics. You're a self righteous cunt if a minority has wronged you and you've never cslled them a chink fat fucking hooray for tolerance! hooray for tolerance! before.

I agree. Axl's guitarist was half black and his idols were gay. I don't think he was xenophobe or homophobe. Actions speak louder than words. To me, it's much worse when people say they're not racist/homophobe, because it's politically correct, but don't act accordingly.