Seymour Duncan Alnico II SLASH pickups

Been really considering buying these pickups to put on my Les Paul, but they're pretty damn expensive. Does anyone know if they're really worth it, or am I just paying for the Slash logo here? Right now I'm using the pretty shitty stock pickups.

Shitty stock pickups? If it's a Gibson, that's either Burstbuckers, Burstbucker Pros, 57 Classics, etc. none of which I'd call shitty. Even Epiphone's pick-up's aren't "shitty." As for the thread topic, I have no idea. They seem to sound good.

Edited by OmarBradley

I'm sure you already know but the amp you're playing through matters like 20x more.

Even the smaller things matter though. Everything matters when it comes to tone. Pickups are really important, even if the amp you're using is probably the most important ingredient.

Edited by Rovim

I'm sure you already know but the amp you're playing through matters like 20x more.

Even the smaller things matter though. Everything matters when it comes to tone. Pickups are really important, even if the amp you're using is probably the most important ingredient.

Yeah totally. I'm just very used to giving this advice whenever anyone asks about pickups because very often they are playing through a Spider III or Marshall MG :lol: At least on the Ultimate Guitar forums.

Yeah totally. I'm just very used to giving this advice whenever anyone asks about pickups because very often they are playing through a Spider III or Marshall MG :lol: At least on the Ultimate Guitar forums.

Hell I'd argue the speaker is pretty important too. V30 vs. CL80 vs. vs. G12-65's vs. Greenback etc. will give you very different tones from the amp.

Hell I'd argue the speaker is pretty important too. V30 vs. CL80 vs. vs. G12-65's vs. Greenback etc. will give you very different tones from the amp.

Yep. It makes a difference for sure.

Signature gear is great if you want to sound like the artist.

I think you can always trust that companies like Seymour Duncan put out great signature stuff, I bet those pickups kill if you want to sound like Slash.

But I think that unless you're a beginner, you'll want to make your own sound and not chase somebody else's tone.

Seymour Duncan has a great catalogue and a very informative website where you can find out which kind of sound each pickup has: the output, the bass/mids/treble balance, mp3 sound demos, ... do a research before you buy and I'm sure you'll make a fine choice.

Love my slash pickup. Only have a bridge one however. The biggest difference between it and the regular alnico is that it seems to be a bit hotter, and there's a little more of a growl.

Otherwise, getting just the regular pro alnico II is a suitable and less expensive alternative. In some contexts I like this better.