Which Tour Would You Rather Have Seen - AFD or UYI?

Tour + Hair  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Following on from the Ritz 1988 v Paris 1992 show poll, I present the above poll. Decide.

I go for UYI - better setlists and I love the whole overblown grandiose nature of it.

Sub-divided UYI tour into pre-Izzy's departure and post-departure eras, too.

Different setlists form each of the UYI years too. I'd most have wanted to see 1992 - the Tokyo/Oklahoma/Chicago setlists would have been great to see. Followed by 1991 then 1993.

I've aded a 'fun bonus' question in honour of the late, beloved and now-closed chest hair debate (#teamhair)

Enjoy.

Edited by seely

The UYI tour had so many different legs and many different performances that's it hard to pin it down to just one typical show. The band dynamics and the overall sound on the first leg was different to the one on the Skin & Bones tour in 1993. I'd take the UYI tour though, but no drum and guitar solo's please.

seen em all :P

I thought of you in the Ritz vs Paris thread. You are a good man to hear stories from ALL era's. What are your favorite shows you have seen live? Rank the era's also, if you don't mind.

But as for me, it's six of one, half dozen of the other isn't it? Illusion set lists were MUCH better, but the Appetite era had such energy. The band was also just plain cooler during the Appetite era, for sure. But if I could only attend one gnr show period, it would either be; Ritz 88', one of the Marquee shows from 87', or one of the shows they opened for Aerosmith. So it would be Appetite era, but some of that is because not much quality footage remains from that era. If we had even just 5 pro shot shows from that era, I might prefer the Illusion era. Oaklahma, Indiana, Paris, Chicago, Argentina are all great shows from that era. Plus we have the Tokyo shows, and when I was in high school that was the only gnr show I could watch, so I have a special love for that bastard, lol.

seen em all :P

I thought of you in the Ritz vs Paris thread. You are a good man to hear stories from ALL era's. What are your favorite shows you have seen live? Rank the era's also, if you don't mind.

But as for me, it's six of one, half dozen of the other isn't it? Illusion set lists were MUCH better, but the Appetite era had such energy. The band was also just plain cooler during the Appetite era, for sure. But if I could only attend one gnr show period, it would either be; Ritz 88', one of the Marquee shows from 87', or one of the shows they opened for Aerosmith. So it would be Appetite era, but some of that is because not much quality footage remains from that era. If we had even just 5 pro shot shows from that era, I might prefer the Illusion era. Oaklahma, Indiana, Paris, Chicago, Argentina are all great shows from that era. Plus we have the Tokyo shows, and when I was in high school that was the only gnr show I could watch, so I have a special love for that bastard, lol.

From the shows I've seen, I'd rank them...

1. 2002

2. 1988 (saw em twice in 88)

3. 1991- I felt the beginning of the UYI was a bit of a mess but by the time I saw them, they were firing on all cylinders...and as I've said before, the show I saw in 91, they played both Locomotive and Breakdown...

4.2006 (saw em 3 times in 06)...didn't care for the last show I saw in 06 at MSG though

5. 2012

6. 2010

7. 1992 --(saw em twice) both shows co-headlining with Metallica---Metallica was great both nights (and I'm not a big fan) and GNR were terrible, with Axl walking off stage during one show and not coming back

Edited by Sixes

@Sixes,

I know you like the 2002 era a lot, what was it about that show that really appealed to you?

I saw the 2002 band just a few nights later in Detroit. Axl walked off during Patience, and it was a less than steller show imo. I saw them again in 2011, same venue, and 2011 was MUCH better, all around.

That's the thing about this band, never know what your going to get, night to night. But that's most real bands anyways. If they got it down to a science, its not rock and roll.

@Sixes,

I know you like the 2002 era a lot, what was it about that show that really appealed to you?

I saw the 2002 band just a few nights later in Detroit. Axl walked off during Patience, and it was a less than steller show imo. I saw them again in 2011, same venue, and 2011 was MUCH better, all around.

That's the thing about this band, never know what your going to get, night to night. But that's most real bands anyways. If they got it down to a science, its not rock and roll.

I thought Axl's voice was on point, despite the Mickey-ish nature. I thought he had much more control and power during it than he did at the Rock In Rio and House of Blues shows from the previous year. The band was great. The show was short and sweet, 2 hours exactly. They came on on time which caught me off guard as I was in the hallway wandering around drinking....

Coming on on time was not expected since it was the first snowstorm in NYC in a few years and everyone was mumbling about how he will use that as an excuse to not show up.....and as it turned out, it was the last show of the tour.

But the thing that put it over the top for me was the atmosphere...as cliche as it sounds, there was electricity in the air. I've been to over 1,000 shows in my life, of all different sizes, and I have to say that that night, I've never felt more excitement. You really could feel it. And when the first notes of Jungle started, it got even more exciting....and the crowd sang along to every song, aside from the CD songs, and that added to everything.