Do you think Duff's temporal stay in GNR helped Axl?

GNRfanMILO

Hello, im new in the forum. I know there are a lot of topics about Axl, but im having a small question:

Do you think that Axl's performance has improved due to Duff's temporal stay in Guns N' Roses over the last 6 months? I think it did, for me, 2014 performance was the best since 2010, and i also think this is about Duff being on the band. I see Axl full of energy and life, maybe Duff presence made him change in some type of way.

Sorry about my bad english, im Argentinian :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIrJsyzbMFM

Nothing to do with duff. He gets better the more shows he does in a tour. People slated his openimg shows in south america and loved him at the end of vegas...

Look at 2011, opening show at Rio wasnt great. The last 2 shows in 2011 were proshot in LA and they were 10x the Rio show.

Edited by Axl_morris
  • Like 2

Nothing to do with duff. He gets better the more shows he does in a tour. People slated his openimg shows in south america and loved him at the end of vegas...

Look at 2011, opening show at Rio wasnt great. The last 2 shows in 2011 were proshot in LA and they were 10x the Rio show.

This is true.

Maybe he has a little more enthusiasm with the Duffster around but if that's what enthuses him he oughta just do cash grabs with the full old line up, I don't see any correlation with his quality of performance and Duff's presence though.

Plus he seems to be in a good mood and he looks less bloated and cracking more jokes, huh bro?

Although i agree the last few Vegas shows was great. and seeing Duff performing with the band is always great

Edited by Crash Diet

Do you reckon Axl of 2001 would approve of having an 'original' member playing on the stage when there's been one album in 13 years and questionable continued existence of so-called 'new' GNR, I just don't get his logic. Sure, it's a very celebrated friendship but why would he want him up there all things considered? Maybe Axl and the rest of the guys just don't know any competent bass players but it's not that hard to play GNR songs on bass in reality.

Do you reckon Axl of 2001 would approve of having an 'original' member playing on the stage when there's been one album in 13 years and questionable continued existence of so-called 'new' GNR, I just don't get his logic. Sure, it's a very celebrated friendship but why would he want him up there all things considered? Maybe Axl and the rest of the guys just don't know any competent bass players but it's not that hard to play GNR songs on bass in reality.

It's a really interesting point. You could equally say 'Would the 1992 Axl who did the setlist rant approve of the sets from 2001-2014?'

It really comes down to him basically having generally given up on the dreams and plans he had for the new band. In his open letter in 2002 he talked about shutting up all the doubters in one fell swoop. These days he dejectedly and exhaustedly says he hopes to put out another record in his lifetime.

He sold Bucket on joining the band based on releasing multiple albums with shows leaning heavily on new material once the first album was out. He wanted to be relevant and make up for lost time and prove himself generally.

I remember him proudly detailing all of the tour statistics a while back but I doubt that deep down he's really proud of what he's achieved in the last 13 years vs what he originally aspired to. But he's basically stuck with what he's created: a nostalgic jukebox band.

• Like 1

It was said in some thread that Axl knows that current band members are not there for him but for their own careers (can't blame an employee for that really.)

I often wonder does Axl miss the "gang mentality" they had back in the day. Duff seems like a good man to have in your corner. I was surprised Axl didn't work harder at keeping him around, they looked like they really enjoyed each other's company.

I think alot of the Slash hatred is because the new band didn't fly. If Axl had realised his vision he simply wouldn't need to hate Slash, he'd be an irrelevance.

Edited by Intercourse