The Scottish Independence Referendum Thread

Graeme

And Salmond steps down as First Minister.

Coward.

Honourable thing to do, I think.

What, stir up a lot of hatred and then when he didn't get his way he's left the mess he created?

Really honourable.

I'm totally with you.

Wouldn't the right and honourable thing to do be stablize the country BEFORE stepping down?

It's like "ok, 24 hours ago I was about to be the most historic leader in our history!!!!...... But today? Mah fuck this I'm off"

Just seems a bit disingeous to me; regardless of protocol.

• Like 2

This referendum never felt right from the off.

It is all well and good to propose independence but not much good when you've got question marks hanging over crucial issues such as currency, EU membership and possible membership of the Euro.

That played into the NO campaign as it allowed them, quite rightly, to stir up people's fears and insecurities.

Add in a biased media (hello sky news) and threats from banks and industry and you are asking people to take a massive leap of faith.

This referendum never felt right from the off.

It is all well and good to propose independence but not much good when you've got question marks hanging over crucial issues such as currency, EU membership and possible membership of the Euro.

That played into the NO campaign as it allowed them, quite rightly, to stir up people's fears and insecurities.

Add in a biased media (hello sky news) and threats from banks and industry and you are asking people to take a massive leap of faith.

The monetary policy (or lack of should I say) fatally hamstrung the Yes campaign from the word go. It was something the Better Togethers could constantly work upon. The Scottish are a, thrifty people; it was always going to decide the issue. Also, simply dismissing everything as 'Westminster scaremongering' is no real way to run a political campaign.

And Salmond steps down as First Minister.

Coward.

Honourable thing to do, I think.

What, stir up a lot of hatred and then when he didn't get his way he's left the mess he created?

Really honourable.

He was the driving force behind the referendum. It was an election pledge if I recall. His political future was essentially going to be defined by the result. He lost so he had no option but to go really. That's why I think he did the right thing by resigning.

• Like 1

Beyond the young and reckless, there was never any support for this. The Scots allowed kids to vote, and that is where most of the vote lie. Outside of them and daftee students, it was a landslide vote.

Alex Salmond has created divisions in what was a United Kingdom, and for that, it is right he should go.

Hopefully the current not so United Kingdom will balance out again soon.

I didn't get to post this the other day - but it's brilliant:

today is the day that the people of scotland decide if they want to be a independent country on their own or if they want to stay as part of the uk in the united kingdom with the rest of everyone else in the world. after months of people talking about it constantly the day has finally come and everyone is ready and excited for the big vote especially the leader of yes club 7 alex salmond who has been walking around the streets near his house since 4 o clock this morning handing out bags of live salmons to everyone that he meets to try and get them to vote for him and he even made a baby butterfly come out of his mouth as well because it is what a group of people wanted to see and they was dead impressed and alistair darling who is the leader of the darling buds of nay got up extra early this morning as well to make sure that his traditional large black mens eyebrow extensions was glued on to his face properly because they are what he calls his weapons of mass seduction that he is going to use to convince people to vote for him if they like that type of thing and as i look out into my street everyone i see is going mental for voting right now and i even saw a little boy nearly vote himself into a epileptic fit earlier because he was so excited for the referendum but i think that whatever the result may be it is important to remember to be kind to others no matter who they have voted for or what they believe in because that is their choice that they have made and as people we are bigger than that because we are all the land that we stand upon and we are all the air that we breathe and we are all the sea that takes us to far away places and then brings us back home again and we are all made from the same flesh and bones as every single star and planet around us and we need not to fight and not to worry because we are all born with kindness inside of ourselfs and it is this kindness that above all of everything else will make scotland and the world a better place for each and every one of us and help us to live our lives in happiness for as long as the earth allows us and as you write your cross into the little box today it will almost be like you are marking a cross onto every unborn childs forehead that will stay with them for the rest of their lives so good luck to everyone whichever way you may vote because this is your moment so just enjoy it and remember to take a pen with you as well just incase someone trys to kidnap you while you are voting so you can stab them with it and escape more easily. love from your friend Chris (Simpsons artist) xox

10669293_763220220403270_735366515406326

• Like 1