Condos with 'Poor Door' For Lower-Income Residents

Coma16

Seems like it is becoming a new trend. What are your thoughts on it?

The 33-story building, now under construction at 40 Riverside Boulevard on the Upper West Side, will contain 219 luxury units facing the Hudson River. There will also be a segment on floors two through six that will contain 55 street-facing units for the building's poorer residents. This segment will have its own entrance.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/21/extell-poor-door-_n_5606572.html

Edited by Coma16

Meh, there's bigger issues in life to worry about. Sure, it doesn't help much in fostering a sense of community, but the practice is already common in many forms of hospitality. From first class waiting lounges to separate check-in entrances at hotels, it's not out of the ordinary. I'm not surprised that the concept has been brought over to housing.

Any resident can challenge that in court if they so choose to enter the building through whichever door they want, unless it is in the building's declaration and they agree to it upon moving in.

People have moved in to "adults only" condo buildings with children and had their lawyers get that title dropped.

Is it any different than anywhere/anything else? Premium hotel rooms typically have premium views... and cost more. A more expensive neighborhood may have better views, etc....and would cost more, etc. So what makes this such a big deal?

It's a little different than who has the best view.

How would you like it if you were told you couldn't you use the premium door to enter the building where you live due to your class status, and yet you pay fees to maintain the place just as everyone else does?

Is it any different than anywhere/anything else? Premium hotel rooms typically have premium views... and cost more. A more expensive neighborhood may have better views, etc....and would cost more, etc. So what makes this such a big deal?

How would you like it if you were told you couldn't you use the premium door to enter the building where you live due to your class status, and yet you pay fees to maintain the place just as everyone else does?

This is just a guess, but maybe they don't pay for that ? I mean, when I had an apartment, the amount you had to pay for the maintenance the building, depended on what apartment you had. In the penthouse, you paid more than the people with a small apartment at the back. Maybe that's the case here too ?

• Like 1

This is just a guess, but maybe they don't pay for that ? I mean, when I had an apartment, the amount you had to pay for the maintenance the building, depended on what apartment you had. In the penthouse, you paid more than the people with a small apartment at the back. Maybe that's the case here too ?

Maintenance fees are usually calculated based off of square footage so a bigger unit would naturally pay more in a smaller unit.

Maintenance fees are usually calculated based off of square footage so a bigger unit would naturally pay more in a smaller unit.

Yes, that's what I meant. Maybe the poor owners don't have to pay for the premium entrance ?

With regard to your previous question: yes, I do think the media are just sensationalizing.

Edited by Lio

Exactly, and it still doesn't make it right or acceptable.

So is the media just sensationalizing this?

Oh, they would never.

The fact that's it's being called a "poor door"?

That door leads inside a building where some units are selling for 8 million dollars. Let me repeat that. 8 million dollars. All the developer is looking to do is make money, and perhaps they believe a separate door will make it more marketable for anyone looking to drop that kind of coin. I guess they assume people who can afford these luxury apartments really have their choice of going somewhere else, so it's an incentive of sorts to get these high end buyers. The developers were basically forced into offering more affordable units simply for the tax breaks. I am sure some of those millionaires don't even agree with the separate entrance and don't support it, but I have no doubt some of them would. The developer is trying to please everyone, but we know how that usually goes.

I don't know how much the less expensive apartments are going for. But the fact is these people will be living in a much desired area of the city where most of them would not have the opportunity to live otherwise. Personally I wouldn't care how I get into the building or why I'm there. In the end you've got an upper west side zip code, you have rich neighbors, and you get to enjoy all the amenities that come with living in that area. I'm trying to find the negative in all that and I'm having a hard time doing so.

P4A - the less expensive units are usually subsidized government housing. That's the only way they can get the approvals so it's a bit messed up that you have, in many cases, people on welfare mixed in with the upper middle class. Needless to say, bikes get stolen frequently.

Not quite all the amenities, within their own home at least...

Residents living in the lower-income part of 40 Riverside will be prohibited from using the attractive amenities commonly found in Extell properties, including a gym and a swimming pool.

Because they're not paying for said amenities. Simple as that really.
  • Like 1

My wife works at a place processing and assessing applications for a place like this in my province. Assisted living is what they call it here. Hearing the stories she tells me, there's nothing but lazy people who cheat and abuse the living hell out of our governments system just to consistently live on a 300 dollar a month rent fee. Which is outrageous to me. I'm a homeowner, I pay 1200 a month mortgage, the government takes minimum 450 bucks a paycheck for taxes. I bust my ass to simply make ends meet (sometimes barely), and we have lazy people who couldn't care less. Society blows sometimes. I personally disagree with the system we have in place based on that. Sure some people use it legitimately to live while they get on their feet, but the amount of people abusing it unfortunately outweigh that. At least where I live anyways, can't personally speak for anywhere else.

• Like 1