Queen Live at the Rainbow '74 (Official Release)

Bruno P.

Just listened to both shows. I gotta say - they're amazing, outstanding! What a truly talented band! Much better than I expected - and I was really excited! I love those more intricate performances and it's a shame that lots of those songs weren't played in the 80's. Well, they had a big discography and they had to play the new songs plus the old hits, but it's lovely that we have a proper recording of the band in the 70's. Audio quality is superb, video is absolutely great! It's one of the best live recordings from the band in any period. The whole band shines here, but Freddie stole the show again. He had a slighty softer tone and vocal approach as opposed to the strong chest vocals he opted in the 80's, especially by mid 80's, but those performances are really strong, raw and brilliant.

I'll post two videos that were uploaded by Queen...

Stone Cold Crazy

Keep Yourself Alive

There's another sample taken from iTunes (Taken from Queenzone)

The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke (One my favorite tracks...)

https://www.sendspace.com/file/t1bvcv

• Like 2

I have never been a Queen fan. I heard Brian May doing a commentary on a couple of these tracks a few days ago on my local radio station...... wow, I had no idea, I will certainly be picking up a copy of this and checking out early Queen stuff.

Had no idea of what, exactly?

I have never been a Queen fan. I heard Brian May doing a commentary on a couple of these tracks a few days ago on my local radio station...... wow, I had no idea, I will certainly be picking up a copy of this and checking out early Queen stuff.

I know the songs posted in this thread, and most of the popular Queen stuff, but there's a lot on the new live record that isn't popular Queen, and I never really listened to their early stuff, I had no idea all of it was that good until I heard it on the radio a few days ago.

I know the songs posted in this thread, and most of the popular Queen stuff, but there's a lot on the new live record that isn't popular Queen, and I never really listened to their early stuff, I had no idea all of it was that good until I heard it on the radio a few days ago.

I envy you. So many cool shit just waiting to be discovered. May is one of the best guitar players ever imo. Dat tone. And he uses thinlicious strings. Tone is really mostly in the fingers. (but fuck this shit of course never gonna use spaghetti strings myself. Works just fine for Brian though)

• Like 1

So many awesome tracks that they only played back in the early-to-mid 70's - and then there are those that were not played but are awesome on the albums. Early Queen means more experimental/progressiv-ish songs as those first 5 albums are the real deal to those more conservative Queen fans. I love both early and late Queen, the well known hits are what made Queen huge, but there's no denying that those early songs were special. I gotta say, watch them performing some of those early songs was one of the best things that I've ever heard.

• 2 weeks later...

Still a fucking great release. I love 80s Queen, but there's just something about these early shows. I hope they remaster and release more. I love the Day at the Court bootleg.

The only drawbacks are they didn't film the entire March show and Freddie's singing Modern Times Rock 'N' Roll instead of Roger.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watching the blu ray now. It is fucking amazing! I really hope they restore more shows from the 70's this is just perfect.

This was when they were on the verge of becoming international superstars. This was back when they were ripped off by their managers. Before A Night at the Opera.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

I love 80s Queen

There really ain't much to love there.

Except for the amazing shows, a big bunch of awesome songs and history's greatest moustache.

Radio Ga Ga, Hammer to Fall, A Kind of Magic, I Want to Break Free, Under Pressure, Play the Game, Another One Bites the Dust, The Miracle, just to name a few excellent songs from the 80's.

By the 80's Freddie has mastered crowd control, you can see in the Rainbow release that he was just getting started, he was already one of the best performers but he was powerful in the 80's. He could have taken over England during Live Aid.

During the 80's no band sold out shows faster than Queen. Playing to crowds of over 300,000, and they were willing to go to countries other bands refused to go to because of politics such as South Africa and Hungary. Queen didn't care for that, they cared for the people listening to their music in those countries.

It is a privilege to finally see their first legendary concert in such quality. Hopefully we can see Hammersmith '75 and '79, Hyde Park '76 and Earls Court '77. I think those were the only full shows from the 70's left that have been fully recorded. And they are searching for more footage from other shows. Be nice if they all find their way on Blu ray in some form. Like bonus material on Live at the Rainbow.

• Like 1

From my understanding, a lot of fans didn't even know about the first Rainbow show, only the more famous second one.

Damn I still need to pick up the blu ray. Don't want the DVD and no local shops carry the blu ray. I've been too lazy to order it online.

I'm not a huge fan of The Miracle song, but it's a damn good album. John's bass on Rain Must Fall is superb.

America hated Queen during the 1980s: at precisely the time their crowds rocketed to gargantuan stadium levels and new markets like South America and Eastern Europe opened up, America turned its back on Queen. The Americans took one look at the I Want To Break Free video, misunderstood the Coronation Street pastiche, and said ''why are those limey fags dressed up as women?'' Queen refused to play America because their crowd share took such a massive drop. Hard to believe that, at their 1970s peak, they played The Garden!