Kanye West 2015 - "Only One" feat. Paul McCartney out now

bacardimayne

Who today can match Kanye in both innovation and relevance?

Nas, Andre 3000, Eminem, Tyler The Creator, M.I.A. All at least at the same level as Kanye, maybe not all as relevant anymore or innovative, but some are, and those are just off the top of my head.

Was this a trap? you know, cause you chose to focus on just one sentence of my post. Maybe the only one you could counter so you can just discredit the names I've dropped and move on.

Edited by Rovim

Alternate title: What's a black Beatle anyway, a fuckin' roach?

The rumor mill is saying that Kanye West and Paul McCartney are recording an album together, and that it's going to drop without warning later this year.

This has the potential to literally be the greatest thing ever.

Anything to do with Kanye West I want no part of

Nas, Andre 3000, Eminem, Tyler The Creator, M.I.A. All at least at the same level as Kanye, maybe not all as relevant anymore or innovative, but some are, and those are just off the top of my head.

Was this a trap? you know, cause you chose to focus on just one sentence of my post. Maybe the only one you could counter so you can just discredit the names I've dropped and move on.

Eminem and Tyler? Nah... also M.I.A. doesn't really change the game with her stuff either, it's different but people don't jump on that style.

Nas and Andre (I prefer to say Outkast tbh) are creative and influential but Kanye actually shaped a change in how hip-hop sounded and reaches new grounds in terms of sound for the genre. Whether people appreciate or not, after he released 808's everyone was jumping on that auto tunes sound for their records.

Not denying Nas and Outkast's influence and creativity but it's not in the same way Kanye's is.

I find it funny that people bring up Kanye's attitude like if it's a bad thing, on a GnR forum of all places lol. Anyways, I just don't find rap like anything progressive but rather regressive. It's not innovative and it's just tearing down what makes music unique. Kanye in particular pretty much influence every single artist and rappers nowadays and I can't help but say it's not for the best. I guess in that respect he's a living legend, just not the one I would praise.

Eminem and Tyler? Nah... also M.I.A. doesn't really change the game with her stuff either, it's different but people don't jump on that style.

Nas and Andre (I prefer to say Outkast tbh) are creative and influential but Kanye actually shaped a change in how hip-hop sounded and reaches new grounds in terms of sound for the genre. Whether people appreciate or not, after he released 808's everyone was jumping on that auto tunes sound for their records.

Not denying Nas and Outkast's influence and creativity but it's not in the same way Kanye's is.

Yes. Eminem and to a lesser extent Tyler. I prefer Andre, but even if we take what Outkast influenced and how creative they were, it's on at least the same level as what Kanye did. My point stands: Kanye doesn't stand alone with what he can do, though I'll bet he would certainly like to think so.

And to compare him to The Beatles is silly imo. And Nas is just as talented as Kanye btw.

Kanye West is the living embodiment of what is wrong with hip hop, a poor derivative producer, a mediocre rapper and a tumbling moron of a personality, the guys just embarassing, just absolutely awful, people like him are the slow ruin of hip hop, the guys a fuckin' male diva, makes my fucking teeth itch.

• Like 2

Kanye West is the living embodiment of what is wrong with hip hop, a poor derivative producer, a mediocre rapper and a tumbling moron of a personality, the guys just embarassing, just absolutely awful, people like him are the slow ruin of hip hop, the guys a fuckin' male diva, makes my fucking teeth itch.

Thank you for saying this, I don't have the knowledge on modern hip hop to say what you said, even though I feel it every time I hear his music/look at him.

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Imo. The College Dropout and Late Registration are fuckin' great.

Next you have the pretty fuckin' good shit: Graduation, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and Yeezus. Kanye is the real deal. He's not as great as he thinks he is imo, but he's no slouch either. I don't even listen to his music that much, but I'm not deaf.

Edited by Rovim

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Imo. The College Dropout and Late Registration are fuckin' great.

Next you have the pretty fuckin' good shit: Graduation, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and Yeezus. Kanye is the real deal. He makes good music. He's not as great as he thinks he is, but he's no slouch. I don't even listen to him that much, but I'm not deaf.

I've heard the college dropout annnnnnnnd Yeezus i think it was and they were just dreadful. Other shit i've heard in passing plus a lot of work he did for other folks. See the thing with Kanye is everyone wets their pants over 'it's different, it's different, it's different' well first of all no it's not, not really very different and, and this is the key thing, it's shit. By which i mean it just doesn't sound good. Innovating is all well and good but in and of itself it is not something to be applauded, it's got to have something about it first.

And as a person he's just this horrible odious personality. First of all he thinks he's the shit when quite frankly I could reel off names of hip hop producers better than him...with ease. He's all fuckin' mouth quite frankly. That last album was the most tinny hollow sounding sub-electro pop crap I have ever heard.

And this ain't just hating on modern rap, i think Kendricks alright, J Cole, this dude Mags put me onto rhymes quite well, Kanye is just really really poor and it's indicative of the poor state hip hop is in that he's like, somewhere round the top of the table right now.

And, to go back to the innovative thing, honestly, somebody explain that one to me please. And I'm serious here, thats a request, explain to me how Kanye is innovative. Substantially innovative here. Quite frankly if hip hop had half the nuts it had 15 to 20 years ago people like that would be getting chased out of the game, same goes for a few rappers actually, Rick Ross is another example.

• Like 2

i love kanye but i missed len so this is really a give and take

edit: as far as innovative goes, the most commonly used examples are that with college dropout/late registration/graduation he pulled the genre away from the gangster rap that was the most popular pre-2004, and the fact that drake and other artists in that realm wouldn't be popular at all if it weren't for 808s & heartbreak.

the dude is also on another level live than anyone else in rap right now.

Edited by Mansin Humanity

Next you have the pretty fuckin' good shit: Graduation, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and Yeezus. Kanye is the real deal. He makes good music. He's not as great as he thinks he is, but he's no slouch. I don't even listen to him that much, but I'm not deaf.

I've heard the college dropout annnnnnnnd Yeezus i think it was and they were just dreadful. Other shit i've heard in passing plus a lot of work he did for other folks. See the thing with Kanye is everyone wets their pants over 'it's different, it's different, it's different' well first of all no it's not, not really very different and, and this is the key thing, it's shit. By which i mean it just doesn't sound good. Innovating is all well and good but in and of itself it is not something to be applauded, it's got to have something about it first.

And as a person he's just this horrible odious personality. First of all he thinks he's the shit when quite frankly I could reel off names of hip hop producers better than him...with ease. He's all fuckin' mouth quite frankly. That last album was the most tinny hollow sounding sub-electro pop crap I have ever heard.

And this ain't just hating on modern rap, i think Kendricks alright, J Cole, this dude Mags put me onto rhymes quite well, Kanye is just really really poor and it's indicative of the poor state hip hop is in that he's like, somewhere round the top of the table right now.

And, to go back to the innovative thing, honestly, somebody explain that one to me please. And I'm serious here, thats a request, explain to me how Kanye is innovative. Substantially innovative here. Quite frankly if hip hop had half the nuts it had 15 to 20 years ago people like that would be getting chased out of the game, same goes for a few rappers actually, Rick Ross is another example.

Listen to Late Registration. You may not like it, but it's not shit. Listen to the other albums I've mentioned again. Kanye seems like a horrid person, but I don't really care. There is something there. Sounds good to great to me. I don't think he's that innovative, but he has enough of it, style of his own, and character that he brought fresh shit to the table imo.

I don't compare it to 20 fuckin' years ago. He's quite original in his approach, and not a bad rapper at all. Not a great one, but with Kanye, it's the sum of the parts. He constructs big, sweeping statements and I guess it's not your thing, but maybe with him it's not really what he has to say, but the way he says it. And sometimes there are cool things he does get to say where at least I could recognize. He's far from being shit.

He's not a genius or anything. He's not the best rapper or producer that ever lived or even one of them imo, but what he reflects is himself, and he does it perfectly and it sounds fresh, so maybe it's his shit personality that gets in the way for you, and not lack of talent. I really don't think he's talentless, but maybe you just don't fuckin' like him and his music which is fine, but when you say his music is shit, especially his best albums...well..I'm just going to say it: can't take you seriously.

Edited by Rovim

Alternate title: What's a black Beatle anyway, a fuckin' roach?

The rumor mill is saying that Kanye West and Paul McCartney are recording an album together, and that it's going to drop without warning later this year.

This has the potential to literally be the greatest thing ever.

Kanye and Mccarthy the greatest thing ever? IMO, that would be horrific.