U2 'Songs of Innocence' Album // iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour 2015 Discussion

Black Sabbath

Alright dude. Ever consider the possibility that maybe I actually thought it was generic?

Judging by your username I'm guessing this band is a sensitive subject.

Track 2 is pretty generic imo as well. This is like a bad Killers song.

I don't care dude. You're the one who keeps coming back saying it's generic but what does that even mean to you? My point is too many people on this site use "generic" as a default when they don't like something. Clearly you are one of them as now you've called two songs generic. Like I said I don't care if you like it or not but try and give a less GENERIC reason.

Thanks for the suggestions BS. (I don't really like The Downward Spiral much though)

In terms of popularity and consistency, I can relate them.

But, if you listen to Achtung Baby or Pop, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, even if they aren't as positive as I'd hope for them to be. Two albums that I like to play for people to show that not every U2 song sounds the same, and to show how amazing and diverse they actually are and can be.

Alright dude. Ever consider the possibility that maybe I actually thought it was generic?

Judging by your username I'm guessing this band is a sensitive subject.

Track 2 is pretty generic imo as well. This is like a bad Killers song.

I don't care dude. You're the one who keeps coming back saying it's generic but what does that even mean to you? My point is too many people on this site use "generic" as a default when they don't like something. Clearly you are one of them as now you've called two songs generic. Like I said I don't care if you like it or not but try and give a less GENERIC reason.

Lol, I'll call it generic if I like because it's fucking generic. As in it doesn't stand out. It's rather plain - bland. In my opinion of course. Get over it?

I don't think people need to justify why they think something of music. It's just my opinion. I'm 4 tracks in and this shit just sounds like The Killers to me.

In fact I think I'm done with this. To many other albums I need to listen to and this is doing nothing for me. Major snoozer. Have fun. Peace.

The Bono persona has turned me off from U2 for years, but then I read about the guy and it seems like he's an absolute fuckin lunatic- and it intrigues me. The public persona is far too pious and it affects my perception of the music. Fuck UN Bono. Give me maniac Bono that picks up random hitchikers and drives 150 mph through residential neighborhoods while singing along to his own unreleased songs.

people do forget that U2 are from the ghetto and by the time they came to prominence they had all been around a bit. I'm not sure about Bono the zealot and how it sits with the rock star thing. I read a book about him and he was interesting about a lot of stuff, a bit preachy, but he seemed interested in this christian thread that runs through rock. Johnny Cash, Dylan, the spiritual side of rock. But I just cringe when he's saying U2 are half Zepp, half Beatles. Anyway I always buy they albums so he got my money. He's still a tool though innit.

First listen, I think it's very pop, the pop rock du jour. The Killers, Fall Out Boy, 80s synth pop, there's a lot of these bands at the moment, even Lana Del Rey, it has less energy than those bands but the production is pretty similar. Minimalist synth pop. But SOI fits pretty well in with what's going on in the charts. It's U2-Lite. It's pretty tranquil and serene, not unpleasant or anything, quite nice. Nothing really grabs me about it other than it's subtle, maybe a little bland. It's like a Sade album. It's not a rock album.

Listened to first track. Kind of generic anthemic rock and a little overproduced imo. Not excited to hear any more. Going to take a shower.

Hahaha funny how people on this board equate whatever it is they don't like with generic. Such an overused and wrongfully used term. Its not like you just listened to the Nickleback style paint by numbers rock radio formula.

I don't care if anyone likes this album but just because you do't like it doesn't make it generic haha.

Didn't you get the memo? Unless Bono records his vocals through an organic potato and then has them played backwards while the Edge directs a greasy tramp to piss on his guitar while he wanks off Adam Clayton then it shall be dismissed on this forum as generic.

The Bono persona has turned me off from U2 for years, but then I read about the guy and it seems like he's an absolute fuckin lunatic- and it intrigues me. The public persona is far too pious and it affects my perception of the music. Fuck UN Bono. Give me maniac Bono that picks up random hitchikers and drives 150 mph through residential neighborhoods while singing along to his own unreleased songs.

A guy I know met him in Dublin a while back. Bono pulled up next to his him in a Maserati. My friend was admiring it and then Bono got out and started talking to him, let him sit into the car and had a chat about it.

i've given it a couple spins -- have yet to really be floored by anything but maybe it's a grower.

the itunes release is interesting - not that they've given it away for free unannounced (in rainbows beat them to it) but that it auto-downloads to 'recent purchases' for ANYONE who has an itunes account... that's 500 million people...

I have to admit tho, Sleep Like A Baby Tonight is fantastic. It's really U2 at their best.

I love it aside from that 10-second falsetto that sounds a bit odd. Other than that, yeah, it's great. Very Achtung Baby-esque.

Yeah I was thinking Zooropa but yeah Achtung also makes sense. Also that brief falsetto is weird sounding but I like his transition afterwards. Also that solo is great stuff by the Edge.

• Like 1

I can understand Broksie stating the songs sound generic. U2 is very much a live band. If you have not seen them live then their albums can sound flat. But, once you seen U2 live then the songs come alive on the albums. Their is a reason U2 is the only band who can sell-out stadium tours in the states. Even the Stones last outing was arenas. U2 also accomplished that feat during the recession in '09. There is no other band left who can do that. GNR never played stadiums in America without Metallica's aid.

Edited by Carlos Castaneda

Pretty cool how they were able to keep this a secret and an entire album was just released with no release date being announced. In 2014 that's actually pretty awesome.

Yep, because that's not been done within the last year by anyone else...

Anyway, downloaded it because a free album is nice but it's U2 so I'm not rushing to listen.

Edited by ***Flawless

I can understand Broksie stating the songs sound generic. U2 is very much a live band. If you have not seen them live then their albums can sound flat. But, once you seen U2 live then the songs come alive on the albums. Their is a reason U2 is the only band who can sell-out stadium tours in the states. Even the Stones last outing was arenas. U2 also accomplished that feat during the recession in '09. There is no other band left who can do that. GNR never played stadiums in America without Metallica's aid.

Yes, there is a reason they can sell-out stadiums- image and marketing. Not that they're not a good live band- indeed they're tight and polished, but there are bands like that who can't sell tix. U2 are great on the marketing end. I'm not knocking them as a live band I just don't think the music is the sole (or even primary) reason that they can pack venues. They put on an awesome spectacle too and I think thats what brings in the casual fans.

Pretty cool how they were able to keep this a secret and an entire album was just released with no release date being announced. In 2014 that's actually pretty awesome.

Yep, because that's not been done within the last year by anyone else...

Anyway, downloaded it because a free album is nice but it's U2 so I'm not rushing to listen.

Yep, and the fact that it's U2, one of the biggest bands in the world, makes it a little more surprising than most other bands.

Of course it's been done before, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they did it, and in the manner they did it.