U2 'Songs of Innocence' Album // iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour 2015 Discussion

Black Sabbath

I'm 95% sure the songs being played from Songs of Innocence now will be dropped or played less frequently in months time, in favor of other tracks from Innocence and hopefully tracks from Experience.

Speaking of Vertigo with Stories for Boys, I'd also mix Native Son into it somewhere live ;) I've always preferred it over the studio version of Vertigo

And it looks like The Troubles will be coming back into the setlist (with Lykke Ki!) during the next set of shows:

https://instagram.com/p/3IPzdOAF7C/

Edited by Gackt

I've been surprised by the total lack of New Year's Day, thought that was still a big hit for a typical setlist :wacko:

What's fucked up is Like a Song has only been played live ONCE in 1983, and that's one of my favorite U2 tracks

now we're talkin

It wouldn't be completely shocking for them to rehearse those songs. They have rehearsed Acrobat but have never played it live. They also did pull out An Cat Dubh and Into the Heart on the Vertigo tour so anything is always possible. I could see maybe 11 Oclock Tick Tock fitting in at the very begining of the show.

I've been surprised by the total lack of New Year's Day, thought that was still a big hit for a typical setlist :wacko:

What's fucked up is Like a Song has only been played live ONCE in 1983, and that's one of my favorite U2 tracks

I'm not too surprised New Year's Day is taking a break. It needed one I think. Kinda like how With or Without You needs a break

Like a Song is great

Edited by Bono

1. The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)

2. The Electric Co.

3. Vertigo

4. I Will Follow

5. Iris (Hold Me Close)

6. Cedarwood Road

7. Song for Someone

8. Sunday Bloody Sunday

9. Raised by Wolves

10. Until the End of the World

11. Invisible

12. Even Better Than the Real Thing

13. Mysterious Ways

14. California (There is No End to Love)

15. Sweetest Thing

16. Every Breaking Wave
17. Bullet the Blue Sky

18. Pride (In the Name of Love)

19. Beautiful Day

20. With or Without You

21. City of Blinding Lights

22. Where the Streets Have No Name

23. One

Highlights:

California coming into the setlist again after only being played at one other show on this tour. Makes sense for a 5-night residency in Cali, huh?

One is in the setlist for the first time in this tour where it's played on the first night at a city (previous times it's been played on day 2)

Massive changes!! :rolleyes: Man if they don't switch things up a lot of this 5 nights in LA I'm afraid the set will just be one different song per night. Can you imagine if this setlist basically rotates only 1 or 2 songs in and out per night. Brutal. This is the internet age. Bands have to know people are watching these shows from all over the world every night haha. Yes the shows ar for thos ein attendence but really the way they implied this tour would be I can't belive the setlist are actually becoming more status quo than variety. The shows are still no doubt great but holy have they ever gone back on what they implied they wanted to do.

Such a shitty run of bad luck for the whole U2 organization. First Bono's serious bike accident, then Larry's dad dies 4 days before the tour starts, now Dennis Sheehan passes away. The band has got to be playing with heavy hearts for sure. Let's very very clear though who Dennis Sheehan is. He is their tour manager. He's not their manager, that is Guy Oseary and he is not their former manager Paul McGuinnes who initial reports said had passed away. Dennis Sheehan is their tour manager and had been for many, many years.

http://www.u2.com/news/title/dennis-sheehan-1946-2015

This will make them even stronger. I have no doubt. This tour has quickly become a tribute to family and friends no doubt. They will want to play better than ever now to honor Dennis Sheehan and Laurence Mullen

Edited by Bono

I didn't know he was the tour manager and not the manager, my bad.

That's ok man. I wasn't specifically saying that to you. I just read a lot fo reports this morning saying it was Paul McGuinnes and then other reports claiming it was their manager which is odd because inadvertantly it was reported that U2's former manager, current manager and tour manager all passed away today. Dennis Sheehan was their tour manager for over 30 years. That's a big blow not only buisness wise but personally. He also worked with Led Zeppelin and Iggy Pop

It's been a strange few weeks for U2. "Triumphant" return to touring yet some big personal losses.

Edited by Bono

Gotta admit when I first saw the report my first thought was "fuck, McGuinness died?" then realized it said tour manager, and McGuinness parted ways with the band a while back

Still pretty shitty, the band hasn't had a fortunate year..between Bono's plane blowing a hatch and him having the bike accident, Edge taking a tumble that could have gone horrible, Larry's dad passing and now this, curious if someone put a curse on the band; I'd be nervous if I was Adam :P

Anyway, time for night #2 in LA:

1. The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)

2. Out of Control

3. Vertigo

4. I Will Follow

5. Iris (Hold Me Close)

6. Cedarwood Road

7. Song for Someone

8. Sunday Bloody Sunday

9. Raised by Wolves

10. Until the End of the World

11. Invisible

12. Even Better Than the Real Thing

13. Mysterious Ways

14. Desire

15. Angel of Harlem

16. Every Breaking Wave

17. Bullet the Blue Sky

18. Pride (In the Name of Love)

19. Beautiful Day

20. Bad

21. With or Without You

22. City of Blinding Lights

23. Where the Streets Have No Name

24. "40"

Highlights:

40!

"Saitama, 2006-11-30 is the last time Desire and Angel of Harlem have appeared in the same set"

Some new assorted snippets throughout the night, such as Joy Division's Transmission during CoBL, and Not Fade Away during Desire

Edited by Gackt
  • Like 1

Night #3 in LA, at The Roxy:

1. The Ocean (first time since Dec. '05, first time opening a show since June '81)

2. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (first time since Aug. '01)

3. I Will Follow

4. The Electric Co.

5. Beautiful Day

6. Elevation (first time since July '11)

7. Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of (w/ Edge on piano, first time since July '11)

8. Sunday Bloody Sunday

9. Out of Control

Encore

10. Vertigo (Bono crowdsurfed during song)

11. Song for Someone

12. California (There is No End to Love)

Damn solid hour long show, what the "Innocence and Experience" theme for the tour should be like.

Edited by Gackt
  • Like 1

There is NO reason they can't be doing stuff like this setlist more often. Pretty damn cool how they opened the show. The only change I'd make is get rid of Stuck in a MOment and replace ti with Every Breaking Wave. The people there tonight were fucking LUCKY!! I love that they closed the night with California

01 - The Ocean / Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep (snippet)
02 - 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
03 - I Will Follow
04 - The Electric Co. / Send in the Clowns (snippet) / I Can See for Miles (snippet)
05 - Beautiful Day / I Remember You (snippet)
06 - Elevation
07 - Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
08 - Sunday Bloody Sunday / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
09 - Out of Control / Iris (Hold Me Close) [snippet]
---------- Encore Break ----------
10 - Vertigo
11 - Song for Someone
12 - California (There is No End to Love) / God Only Knows (snippet)

I didn't expect much from it to be honest. It's an added show in the middle fo the tour. I figured it would be short. They pulled out to really old school songs and played a total of 4 songs in a 12 song set that ahdn't been played on this tour.

I don't think they filmed it to be honest.

If KROQ didn't record it, the sound guy probably did.

I don't remember if they did a set at The Paradise in Boston a few years back or it was just an interview, but odds are pretty good something like this will happen in New York. They've played under a bridge, on a flatbed truck and the last time they were on the top of 30 Rock. CBGB takeover (for Joey Ramone)? At least he gets to sleep in his own bed when they play MSG.

http://kroq.cbslocal.com/2015/05/29/u2s-intimate-roxy-show-packed-with-hits-celebrities-sweaty-kroq-fans/

• Like 1

I figured it would be short, but thought they might do something a little more "out there" with it being a special show with the size and all. The opening songs they played were a good choice though, so glad they did that. But I mean the Stones played Sticky Fingers in full at the Fonda a week ago. :shrugs: Ending the show with California is cool. Glad they took advantage of the opportunity there.

Would have been a cool setting to debut a new "Experience" song and start playing that on the main tour though :awesomeface:

As for filming it, that's a missed opportunity if they didn't. Again, the show had a bit of a special vibe to it, more than just a randomly added show. Easily could sell it on its own or add it to the inevitable future release for this tour.

All that said, I still would have absolutely loved to be there. Maybe they'll do something like this in New York and I can actually entertain the idea of trying to get tickets.

I figured it would be short, but thought they might do something a little more "out there" with it being a special show with the size and all. The opening songs they played were a good choice though, so glad they did that. But I mean the Stones played Sticky Fingers in full at the Fonda a week ago. :shrugs: Ending the show with California is cool. Glad they took advantage of the opportunity there.

Would have been a cool setting to debut a new "Experience" song and start playing that on the main tour though :awesomeface:

As for filming it, that's a missed opportunity if they didn't. Again, the show had a bit of a special vibe to it, more than just a randomly added show. Easily could sell it on its own or add it to the inevitable future release for this tour.

All that said, I still would have absolutely loved to be there. Maybe they'll do something like this in New York and I can actually entertain the idea of trying to get tickets.

Absolutely! I'd buy that dvd ina second. The cell phone video of vertigo is awesome, imagine a proshot of this show. Would be amazing.