U2 'Songs of Innocence' Album // iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour 2015 Discussion

Black Sabbath

Listened to first track. Kind of generic anthemic rock and a little overproduced imo. Not excited to hear any more. Going to take a shower.

Hahaha funny how people on this board equate whatever it is they don't like with generic. Such an overused and wrongfully used term. Its not like you just listened to the Nickleback style paint by numbers rock radio formula.

I don't care if anyone likes this album but just because you do't like it doesn't make it generic haha.

• Like 1

"The physical release will come with a 24-page booklet, while a deluxe edition includes acoustic versions of the album's songs along with four bonus tracks: "Lucifer's Hands", "The Crystal Ballroom", "The Troubles" (Alternative version) and "Sleep Like a Baby Tonight" (Alternative Perspective Mix by Tchad Blake). The vinyl release will include an exclusive remix of "The Crystal Ballroom" by Tchad Blake. Swedish singer/songwriter Lykke Li guests on the song "The Troubles".

http://pitchfork.com/news/53827-u2-release-new-album-songs-of-innocence-for-free-on-itunes/

Listened to first track. Kind of generic anthemic rock and a little overproduced imo. Not excited to hear any more. Going to take a shower.

Hahaha funny how people on this board equate whatever it is they don't like with generic. Such an overused and wrongfully used term. Its not like you just listened to the Nickleback style paint by numbers rock radio formula.

I don't care if anyone likes this album but just because you do't like it doesn't make it generic haha.

Just ignore Borski. He has terrible music taste.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how that will work but it will no longer be free to download after the 13th. I imagine the physical release will be on the 14th. That would make sense.

What's cool about this is they just gave away one album for free to over 500 million people. They will no doubt gain new fans from this even if it's only 1 or 2 but we know they're gonna gain new fans because of this. They plan on releasing a second album call Songs of Experience fairly soon, so not only will their old fans to buy that one, they'll also get all the new fans to buy it who have just discovered U2. It's pretty smart really.

I'm not sure how that will work but it will no longer be free to download after the 13th. I imagine the physical release will be on the 14th. That would make sense.

What's cool about this is they just gave away one album for free to over 500 million people. They will no doubt gain new fans from this even if it's only 1 or 2 but we know they're gonna gain new fans because of this. They plan on releasing a second album call Songs of Experience fairly soon, so not only will their old fans to buy that one, they'll also get all the new fans to buy it who have just discovered U2. It's pretty smart really.

It's not actually downloaded but just appeared on the cloud so I think it'll be gone on after the 13th. Excellent album on the first listen.

• Like 1

Love the album on the first listen. Not a big fan of the first track (The Miracle), but it'll probably grow on me. Everything else was a stand out track in it's own way. Will eventually post more in depth thoughts, but every track is really good, honestly. I didn't like the weird, high-pitched falsetto from 2:40-2:50 in Sleep Like A Baby Tonight, but honestly not really any stand out gripes out the songs.

Will definitely be buying the physical release when it comes out. Hoping the "cover art" is kind of just a place holder for the time being until the physical release, but if not, then whatever. Either way, wasn't expecting to have new U2 music right now, but I'm glad I do, and I hope Songs of Experience, whatever that is, doesn't take as long as this one did to come out.

• Like 1

Love the album on the first listen. Not a big fan of the first track (The Miracle), but it'll probably grow on me. Everything else was a stand out track in it's own way. Will eventually post more in depth thoughts, but every track is really good, honestly. I didn't like the weird, high-pitched falsetto from 2:40-2:50 in Sleep Like A Baby Tonight, but honestly not really any stand out gripes out the songs.

Will definitely be buying the physical release when it comes out. Hoping the "cover art" is kind of just a place holder for the time being until the physical release, but if not, then whatever. Either way, wasn't expecting to have new U2 music right now, but I'm glad I do, and I hope Songs of Experience, whatever that is, doesn't take as long as this one did to come out.

I reach my like quota haha. My brother text me to say he thinks the album sucks and is boring. So I was disappointed to hear that but I had a few friends who are not U2 fans(they don't dislike them though) text me tonight and are raving about it. I think most people will really like it. Unless they're like hard core rock music fans or something they might not be into it but I think it's by far their best effort since Achtung Baby.

My only critique would be in the songs that are a bit more rock like Cedarwood Road or The Miracle or even Volcano I wish they'd let loose a bit more. Other than that the album is amazing. It's gonna be a massive succes critically. We'll see what the public thinks though I guess.

What's the quality like from the download for U2.com members?

I'ma paid member and I can't find a link in the site and nothing was emailed so I'm not sure what they mean. I have a buddy who's a paid member too and he hasn't found anything.

It was generic though.

It was generic though.

Not sure what you listened to but this is anything but generic haha

It was generic though.

Not sure what you listened to but this is anything but generic haha

My post you originally quoted clearly indicates that I listened to the first track.

I can't really argue much more beyond that because I've since completely forgotten what it sounded like. But I remember it being generic anthem rock and a bit overproduced as my post stated.

I reach my like quota haha. My brother text me to say he thinks the album sucks and is boring. So I was disappointed to hear that but I had a few friends who are not U2 fans(they don't dislike them though) text me tonight and are raving about it. I think most people will really like it. Unless they're like hard core rock music fans or something they might not be into it but I think it's by far their best effort since Achtung Baby.

My only critique would be in the songs that are a bit more rock like Cedarwood Road or The Miracle or even Volcano I wish they'd let loose a bit more. Other than that the album is amazing. It's gonna be a massive succes critically. We'll see what the public thinks though I guess.

Yeah so far from what I've been seeing and reading, it's getting very good reviews. Glad to see that. No Line got fairly good reviews as well, though. Rolling Stone even gave it 5/5 Stars. I'm going to wait until the "honeymoon phase" is over before I really rank the album and compare it to others. The first half of ATYCLB is great (and had they replaced the second half with most of the B-sides from that album, it would be perfect), and for the most part I like HTDAAB a lot, and it's a bit more of a "rocker" album. No Line was honestly the album that got me into U2 - not just because I like(d) it a lot, but because Get On Your Boots had just come out and I was like "Alright, I'll check this out... Wow, this is awesome!" Then, I got the rest of the discography and it's all history from there haha. But I do like No Line a lot as well, though I haven't listened to it in a long time. Hell, I haven't religiously listened to U2 since shortly after the 360 Tour ended, really.

But, I think this album, along with the way they released it, will get U2 back in action pretty quickly and once they tour (which I'm guessing will likely be sometime next year), they'll (hopefully) regain their "Biggest Band in the World" title.

My post you originally quoted clearly indicates that I listened to the first track.

I can't really argue much more beyond that because I've since completely forgotten what it sounded like. But I remember it being generic anthem rock and a bit overproduced as my post stated.

If you're going to give them an honest chance, check out Achtung Baby, The Joshua Tree and Pop. I think you might like Pop just based off of the style they took during that era (re: Discotheque). The Joshua Tree is a classic, and Achtung Baby is amazing throughout.

That's all I'll say about it, really, but don't listen to the first track of this album (which is a good song, albeit not my favorite off of the new album) and base your opinion on U2 solely off of that.

I wasn't basing my entire opinion on the band on that song. It wasn't horrible or anything. Just not great. I believe mediocre is the word I'm looking for.

But I've heard U2 before. Just never bothered with a full album. Maybe I'll check the rest of this one out tonight. Fuck it - just pressed play on track 2.

Yeah when I said "I'm not sure what you listened to" I meant it facetiously. whatever I don't care I'm just saying something isn't automatically generic just because people don't like something. That's become the lazy go to on this site though for people when they don't like something, regardless of whether or not it's generic.

Edited by Bono

Yeah when I said "I'm not sure what you listened to" I meant it facetiously but clearly that went over your head and so does the meaning of generic I think so..... whatever I don't care I'm just saying something isn't automatically generic just because people don't like something. That's become the lazy go to on this site though for people when they don't liek something, regardless of whether or not it's generic.

Alright dude. Ever consider the possibility that maybe I actually thought it was generic?

Judging by your username I'm guessing this band is a sensitive subject.

Track 2 is pretty generic imo as well. This is like a bad Killers song.

I wasn't basing my entire opinion on the band on that song. It wasn't horrible or anything. Just not great. I believe mediocre is the word I'm looking for.

But I've heard U2 before. Just never bothered with a full album. Maybe I'll check the rest of this one out tonight. Fuck it - just pressed play on track 2.

Fair enough. I'm just saying, if you want to bother will full albums, maybe check out one or all of the ones I suggested.

Achtung Baby is almost like The Downward Spiral for U2. Just amazing throughout.

Yeah so far from what I've been seeing and reading, it's getting very good reviews. Glad to see that. No Line got fairly good reviews as well, though. Rolling Stone even gave it 5/5 Stars. I'm going to wait until the "honeymoon phase" is over before I really rank the album and compare it to others. The first half of ATYCLB is great (and had they replaced the second half with most of the B-sides from that album, it would be perfect), and for the most part I like HTDAAB a lot, and it's a bit more of a "rocker" album. No Line was honestly the album that got me into U2 - not just because I like(d) it a lot, but because Get On Your Boots had just come out and I was like "Alright, I'll check this out... Wow, this is awesome!" Then, I got the rest of the discography and it's all history from there haha. But I do like No Line a lot as well, though I haven't listened to it in a long time. Hell, I haven't religiously listened to U2 since shortly after the 360 Tour ended, really.

But, I think this album, along with the way they released it, will get U2 back in action pretty quickly and once they tour (which I'm guessing will likely be sometime next year), they'll (hopefully) regain their "Biggest Band in the World" title.

Yeah I agree about ATYCLB. It's like they neutered the album in the second half and all the b-sides that got chopped should've been there. HTDAAB is pretty good but it hasn't stood the test of time for me. Great songs individually but it falls short as an album I think. My initial reaction to No Line was mixed. I could decide what I liked and what I didn't and it sounded like they were trying too hard at times to sound like U2. It grew on me and do like it but I gotta be n the mood for it. Songs of Innocence though hit me like a ton of bricks on first listen. I thought it was so good and I'm liking it more and more on each listen. I just hope like you said the honeymoon phase doesn't wear off.