Is school all that important?

arnold layne

It's important because I couldn't do my job without it.

It's also important too for those who don't want to work and want to receive benefits because how are you going to fill out the application forms if you can't read and write. Thank fucking Christ for school! :lol:
You can't claim disability then. Screw school. :D

Well if money is what motivates you I suppose a degree is excellent. Personally, I am more fulfilled by the interest and knowledge it gave me. I like my certificates because they represent that I, got through the English Civil War or Rome. I do not look at them thinking of the figures I will make.

This. For once I agree wholeheartedly with Diesel! I've always studied what interested me and am lucky enough that thanks to that degree, I can now do a job I love. That is the main thing.

It seems to be a pattern here, that whenever somebody agrees with me they say, ''for once I agree with'' myself. Presumably a lot of people agree with one thing I say on a frequent basis, but not a whole lot else.

• Like 1

If you're the kind of person who functions well in that environment, sure, it is important.

If not, you're better off just hitting the workforce out of high school and skipping the student-loan debt nightmare altogether. Skilled trade jobs definitely are not out of the question without a college degree, most of them pay pretty well, have benefits, training, and great job security as long as you aren't a shitty worker.

Had he spent more time in school he may not be capitalising the first letter of every word in a sentence like a fucking mong. <_<

How dare you, Jaden Smith is one of the greatest minds we have today.

tumblr_mvyzfk3N241s6x0azo3_1280.jpg

Ten minutes in a dark alley with Rolf Harris is what that little shit needs. <_<

it's not super essential to get a great education but you need a baseline education.

And i'm not talking high school. That barley counts. If you don't have high school, just kill yourself (not really).

Say what you will about a BA - you can talk your way into some pretty great gigs with the right connections and experience.

I would recommend people focus on getting a defined education - accounting, education, nursing, then go from there. you can be a teacher who goes back to school for 2 years to become a a dietician or a payroll practitioner - nothing wrong with that - just try to figure it out by 30.

I also recommend having summer jobs that are:

a) varied

b) terrible

Don't go back to the same comfortable, tour guide job each summer, unless you know what you want to do. If you don't know - work in a warehouse, work landscaping, work customer service, try some different things and talk to as many people as possible about what they do, what they did, what they suggest, etc.

• Like 1

I'm starting a masters in legal studies next summer. Can't wait!

lol

So are you going to tell me whats so funny? or not?

Let's just say that if you're anything like here irl, I'm glad you're not going for a JD.

I am thinking of going for it. I'll see where I'm at in life at the end of my military contract in four years.

It really really really really really really is and the only reason i suspect some of you say it ain't is cuz you haven't encountered too many people that are. It ain't jus necessarily what you learn in class but the tools that the learning in class equip you with to go out and learn and understand in other areas. School is fuckin' invaluable, you don't come out of your mum knowing how to read, write, add up etc.

I'm suprised to see some of the people here say what they're saying, particularly when their intellect is clearly a construct of a classroom...and rightly so.

• Like 3

lol

Let's just say that if you're anything like here irl, I'm glad you're not going for a JD.

I am thinking of going for it. I'll see where I'm at in life at the end of my military contract in four years.

Graduate school is like the OCS (well, OTS for you) of the academic world. Most anyone can get a BA from at the very least a mildly reputable school, and pass their classes with decent grades (if the desire is there); grad school isn't like that.

Arnold - because of your college degree you were able to obtain a job paying $50,000 at 21 years of age. You wouldn't have gotten that job without your degree.

Should doctors be required to go to school?

College is what YOU decide to make of it.

If you put the effort and energy into it, you will learn a TON and that degree will help you get a job.

If you don't put the effort and energy into it........you won't learn anything and will consider it a waste of time.

School is important. You need to be able to read, write, and have at least some basic mathematical skills. Some knowledge of biology is important, as are history and geography. Knowledge of different languages is helpful. And, depending on what you want to do with your life, a foundation in physics and chemistry doesn't hurt. I can't say that I have used everything I learned in high school in my working life, and I've probably forgotten more than I can remember of certain subjects, but I'm still glad I completed it.

When it comes to further education, it depends. Not everyone is suited to an academic environment, and not everyone needs it. Different people have different skills and talents. I'm the only person in my family who's gone to university and I'm only doing so now, as a mature student - after high school, I went straight to work. My family members all have or have had jobs that they love(d). I've done pretty well for myself without a degree. Now that I am a student once more, though, I'm absolutely loving it and some of the knowledge I have now would have come in mightily handy in the past. The upside is that I'm studying for the sheer enjoyment of it, without the pressure of having to land a good job and pay off any debts afterwards.

There's a lot of pressure on young people - do well in high school, go straight to uni, study something that will get you a good job whether you enjoy the subject or not... only to still risk ending up unemployed. It's madness to expect kids to know what they want to do with the rest of their lives at the age of 18, let alone 16 (when they have to make some big decisions) anyway. Some may have a good idea; lots won't. I know I didn't. High schools should do a better job of informing students about all the different options available to them, in line with their skills, talents and interests, instead of portraying university as some kind of holy grail.

Edited by Kittiara

It really really really really really really is and the only reason i suspect some of you say it ain't is cuz you haven't encountered too many people that are. It ain't jus necessarily what you learn in class but the tools that the learning in class equip you with to go out and learn and understand in other areas. School is fuckin' invaluable, you don't come out of your mum knowing how to read, write, add up etc.

I'm suprised to see some of the people here say what they're saying, particularly when their intellect is clearly a construct of a classroom...and rightly so.

And what percentage of people come out of the classrooms displaying an admirable intellect? And what percentage come out good little servants? That's how it's intended. And that's the problem.

• Like 1

lol

Graduate school is like the OCS (well, OTS for you) of the academic world. Most anyone can get a BA from at the very least a mildly reputable school, and pass their classes with decent grades (if the desire is there); grad school isn't like that.

So what the fuck is your point? I know what grad school is with out it being compared to the fucking military. I can go to Grad school and have it paid up to 75%. Who wouldn't do that?

lol

So what the fuck is your point? I know what grad school is with out it being compared to the fucking military. I can go to Grad school and have it paid up to 75%. Who wouldn't do that?

My point is, I don't think you're cut out for grad school. Prove me wrong, and I'd be delighted to see it. But given the views you express on here (they're not open minded, they're borderline nuts), and the way you type/express yourself (something which intellect is very intertwined with), I don't think you would do well in a serious grad program. I respect the hell out of military service, I've been to OCS at Quantico, I'm not trying to bash you for that. I guess I'm coming off harsh, but c'mon man, seriously think about some of the things you say. You overgeneralize nearly everything you express an opinion on, this is a significant taboo at grad school.

• Like 1