Is school all that important?

arnold layne

I didn't actually drop out technically. I was supposed to transfer to a night school because I just fucking hated waking up early, but then I just...didn't.

I don't know how to say this without sounding pretentious so I'll just say it. I was probably smarter than at least 80% of the kids in my school. I just didn't fucking care, hardly showed up and never did homework.

It's really a bunch of bullshit when you think about it.

History - fucking use Wikipedia and you've got a comprehensive article on every major event in the history of the world.

English - I like to read and write but unless you want to be a fucking writer who cares? Beyond middle school it should just be like a free period to read a book of your choice or watch TV.

Math - I fucking suck at high level math and I don't care. I know the shit you need in life and should the rare occasion ever come where I don't I'll grab a fucking calculator or the nearest Asian. Multiplication/division, fractions, variables, basic geometry - do you really need to know anything else?

Chemistry - I don't know if this shit is hard or if it's just because I only showed up to half the classes but I'm not going to be a fucking chemist and the same can be said for like...idk everyone? So fuck this shit. Withdrew. Just watched Breaking Bad instead.

I can't even remember other classes.

If it were up to me highschool would be less dumb shit you don't need to know and mostly college prep or trade-specific classes. And I'd put more emphasis on Health class and sex education so that you don't have deadbeat dads with two year old sons when they're fucking 19. The school system is pretty outdated in the age where you can look anything up on your iPhone. I get that a lot of it is teaching kids how to learn rather than the actual substance of what they're learning but at least make it interesting or relevant in today's context. It's such a waste of time really.

Edited by Broskirose
  • Like 2

It really really really really really really is and the only reason i suspect some of you say it ain't is cuz you haven't encountered too many people that are. It ain't jus necessarily what you learn in class but the tools that the learning in class equip you with to go out and learn and understand in other areas. School is fuckin' invaluable, you don't come out of your mum knowing how to read, write, add up etc.

I'm suprised to see some of the people here say what they're saying, particularly when their intellect is clearly a construct of a classroom...and rightly so.

And what percentage of people come out of the classrooms displaying an admirable intellect? And what percentage come out good little servants? That's how it's intended. And that's the problem.

Yeah but see thats only the problem for boys like yourself (and even myself, not that I'm claiming to be anywhere near as educated as you) but the question is is school that important. I mean, you're getting really far ahead here, lets get back here a little to the fundamentals, you're kinda asking why schools aren't like a production line for clever little Socrateses...but that ain't schools job, thats your job with the tools that school is meant to equip you with i.e. being literate.

Is school important? Shit, does tarzan shit in the woods? I got a uncle whoose 60 now, worked in factories and as a porter and all this shit his whole life, can't read a lick, comes to me with like, letters with doctors appointments like 'hey, i got this letter, whats it say?', i have to speak to his bills people, his doctors, his mobile phone company, everything. Why, cuz the guy didn't go to school and he can't read and write. Lets talk about that shit first, the shit school actually does do for you instead of wondering why it isn't pumping out boil-in-the-bag Einsteins.

My mum can't read and write and like, being foreign it completely limits her and i see every way in which it does that, it breeds ignorance and ignorance breeds prejudice, like you can't communicate so you can't learn and when you can't learn you're prey to like, just attaching yourself to whatever 'way' you're presented with, no matter how ignorant...just cuz you don't know any better.

Now whether you go on to be an admirable intellect, thats on you and your own evolution and growth but without the requisite reading and writing skills you can't get to that position where you can grow. You wanna try (if you haven't) meeting some illiterate people, people that ain't never been to school, it is a sad fucking sight man.

And the less sharp those abilities are the less culturally aware you are and it renders you incapable of grasping shit, like socially, someones telling a joke with some kinda reference in it or like...trust me man, there is SOOOO much people take for granted about that shit and it's only when you spend time around people that are really incapable of doing that school taught shit that you realise the value of it.

Education is fucking empowering, it opens up the world before you, you earn money from it when you get a good job, yeah yeah it don't guarantee you a good job and all that but it puts you in a damn sight better position than some monkey whoose only got fuckin' like, 2 GCSEs or whatever.

It is so so so SO important, thats yours forever, when you get a degree or some shit, thats something you did, thats a fuckin' achievement, that shit gets you respect all over the world, when you're a person with education. In places like Asia it's like, tell em you got an MA or a Phd and even if you're broke as fuck you get BIG fuckin' respect...cuz they know you know shit, they treat you different, they serve you your food different, they come to you with their problems or for advice.

Education is basically the opposite of ignorance and it begins in a classroom with all the little kiddies going A, B, C, D, E, F, G. See the problem nowadays is everybody wants to rule the world, education makes you think, it makes you brain tick over and everybody looks at that and goes haha, you're learning to be a sheep....what, as in like a member of the human race? Well what the fuck did you expect, that you were being taught how to be Krang out of the fuckin' Ninja Turtles, like this brain thing that rules entire fuckin' planets? :lol:

I don't know what it is that yous want from education, what, that it make a genius out of you, or make you exceptional? Well sorry but thats on you...what it will do is teach you the words in the books with all the shit in em for you to take into your brain and process and then, using the power of said brain, doing what you can with them, whether that be expanding on what the human race has already got and taking it to the next evolutionary step...or just being wise enough to earn a living and put some food on the table.

Then you get all these kids pissing and moaning because their degree isn't like, a free ride to a job, where it's like 'OK, i done my degree, where's my job?' and then when it don't arrive in the post ten working days after having graduated then it's like 'Aw fuck education maaaan, what a waste all that was!' well I'm sorry but fuck that, if you thought getting a degree was like....a job wrapped up in a box with a bow on it to where you can just shut your brain off entirely and live on some kinda autopilot earning 60,000 a year for nothing well that ain't gonna happen education or no education, the only real difference is without an education they won't even give you the time of day and with one you'll at least be like, one out of the bunch they choose from. Its not like OK, wow, i got a degree, great, now i never have to show initiative again!

You gotta work per se in this life, one way or the other, education or no education, the difference is the guy without an education is doing dishes at some crummy Premier Inn somewhere with red blistery marks up his fuckin' forearm that gets varicose veins from standing up all fuckin' day and taking shit from some fuckin' supervisor with an attitude problem, waiting for the day where he's 60 something and they give him a gold plated watch and tell him to toddle off back to his council flat and wait for death and the guy with a fuckin' education lives in a nice house with comforts and drives a nice car and gets to be comfortable, earns money to take his family on holiday twice a year and retires somewhere in comfort, ate and drank good all his life and had the money that gave him the opportunity to explore whatever his interests are in life.

Now i know for some of you intellectual titans over here this whole thing of like a nice house and a nice car is ever so cheap and worldly and borgeousie or whatever but lets not kid ourselves boys and girls, cuz i don't know one fuckin' online album reviewer thats some kinda bohemian working class hero :lol:

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying that that shit is the ONLY way to having a life, if you have a skill or a passion and you know for a fact that, one way or another, thats what you wanna do for the rest of your life then by all means go for that shit but careful you don't end up one of those people blaming the world for the fact that you took a wrong turn somewhere cuz that shit is REALLY on you, with an education you got a better shot at a lot more.

• Like 3

I invested too much time in school, but I confess I was raised on fear. Get good grades. Go to college. Get a degree. Get a real job. But for what? So you can hate your life and live for the weekends.

Yes sir may I have another.

Or you choose to go to school and study a subject that you enjoy. Then you use that degree to get a job in a field you enjoy.

Again, and not trying to be a prick, but your situation in life is a YOU problem Arnold, not a school problem. If you wouldn't have gone to college and were now working at Taco Bell making burritos, you'd be on here complaining about how much better you life would be if you had been able to go to college.

You hate your life. The majority of the rest of us do not. I love my job. If I hated it, I would get a different job. Why would anybody want to spend 40 hours a week doing something they dislike.

Some people choose to make the best of what they have. Some people choose to bitch and moan about everything they have (even when they had way more opportunities than 99% of people their age). Parents who love you, who put your through college, a $50,000 a year job at 21 years old.....damn, you really have had it rough.

I got an idea, if it's all bullshit and the extra money don't mean nothing and you'd rather live up in the Big Sur mountains like Kerouac, listening to the waves crashing and sitting cross-legged going OMMMMMMMM, how about this, your annual wage, you keep enough to keep a roof over your head and food on your table and give the rest to me for the foreseeable future, I'll be happy to take it off your hands :D

• Like 1

I didn't actually drop out technically. I was supposed to transfer to a night school because I just fucking hated waking up early, but then I just...didn't.

I don't know how to say this without sounding pretentious so I'll just say it. I was probably smarter than at least 80% of the kids in my school. I just didn't fucking care, hardly showed up and never did homework.

It's really a bunch of bullshit when you think about it.

History - fucking use Wikipedia and you've got a comprehensive article on every major event in the history of the world.

English - I like to read and write but unless you want to be a fucking writer who cares? Beyond middle school it should just be like a free period to read a book of your choice or watch TV.

Math - I fucking suck at high level math and I don't care. I know the shit you need in life and should the rare occasion ever come where I don't I'll grab a fucking calculator or the nearest Asian. Multiplication/division, fractions, variables, basic geometry - do you really need to know anything else?

Chemistry - I don't know if this shit is hard or if it's just because I only showed up to half the classes but I'm not going to be a fucking chemist and the same can be said for like...idk everyone? So fuck this shit. Withdrew. Just watched Breaking Bad instead.

I can't even remember other classes.

If it were up to me highschool would be less dumb shit you don't need to know and mostly college prep or trade-specific classes. And I'd put more emphasis on Health class and sex education so that you don't have deadbeat dads with two year old sons when they're fucking 19. The school system is pretty outdated in the age where you can look anything up on your iPhone. I get that a lot of it is teaching kids how to learn rather than the actual substance of what they're learning but at least make it interesting or relevant in today's context. It's such a waste of time really.

The first half of your post is funny, as everybody thinks that they are smarter than the average person. Just like most people think they have more common sense than everybody else, think they are better drivers, etc.

But you wrap it up rather nicely.

First, schools teach a wide variety of subjects to try and give you a wide knowledge base. Yes, I learned tons of stuff in high school that I never used in the real world. But think of it like winning a billion dollars. Odds are you won't ever spend it all - but it sure can come in handy sometimes to have it all sitting in the bank if you need it. They teach you a wide variety of subjects because every classroom has 30 kids in it - some kids are going to love English, some science, etc. You can't let 14 year old kids "decide" what classes to take like you can in college.

BUT with that said, your final point is SPOT ON in my opinion.

You could call it a "Life's Lessons" or something. Show what life is like for a dead-beat dad, for a 20 year old women to have four kids by four different dads, show people on meth and how it effects their lives, show real pictures and videos from drunk driving accidents, etc. Go back and look at the "most annoying habits" or "things people do that piss you off" topics and you could find a gold mine of small things that people aren't apparently ever taught. This sounds silly, but all those little things could be fun things to learn. Don't tailgate, use your turn signal, don't bounce your foot/knee on the seat in front of you (movie theatre, airplane), don't let your kids run around crazy in a nice restaurant while other people are trying to enjoy their food, don't say 'like" in every sentence, smoking doesn't make you look cool as a teenager, etc.

I would make it a requirement that all students had to attend that class all four years of high school.

Yes, I learned tons of stuff in high school that I never used in the real world. But think of it like winning a billion dollars. Odds are you won't ever spend it all - but it sure can come in handy sometimes to have it all sitting in the bank if you need it.

One critical difference: The money you deposit into the bank will stay there forever if you don't draw upon it, while the vast majority of what you learn in high school and college is forgotten if there's no reason to draw upon said knowledge over a lengthy period of time.

Yeah but thats the persons fault surely, not schools?

• Like 1

You could call it a "Life's Lessons" or something. Show what life is like for a dead-beat dad, for a 20 year old women to have four kids by four different dads, show people on meth and how it effects their lives, show real pictures and videos from drunk driving accidents, etc. Go back and look at the "most annoying habits" or "things people do that piss you off" topics and you could find a gold mine of small things that people aren't apparently ever taught. This sounds silly, but all those little things could be fun things to learn. Don't tailgate, use your turn signal, don't bounce your foot/knee on the seat in front of you (movie theatre, airplane), don't let your kids run around crazy in a nice restaurant while other people are trying to enjoy their food, don't say 'like" in every sentence, smoking doesn't make you look cool as a teenager, etc.

I would make it a requirement that all students had to attend that class all four years of high school.

Sounds good in theory but I can't agree. Those are things parents should be teaching their children. I don't want my tax dollars going to my school district for courses on how not to be a dead beat dad, why you shouldn't do meth, how to control your kids in a restaurant. Educators are not there to take the place of parents, and they're not there to raise anyone's kids. And that's the crux of many of the problems right there. Parents who don't get involved in their child's education, maybe because they're too busy, or perhaps uneducated themselves, and they either don't have the time or the intellect to support the importance of getting an education.

It really really really really really really is and the only reason i suspect some of you say it ain't is cuz you haven't encountered too many people that are. It ain't jus necessarily what you learn in class but the tools that the learning in class equip you with to go out and learn and understand in other areas. School is fuckin' invaluable, you don't come out of your mum knowing how to read, write, add up etc.

I'm suprised to see some of the people here say what they're saying, particularly when their intellect is clearly a construct of a classroom...and rightly so.

And what percentage of people come out of the classrooms displaying an admirable intellect? And what percentage come out good little servants? That's how it's intended. And that's the problem.

Yeah but see thats only the problem for boys like yourself (and even myself, not that I'm claiming to be anywhere near as educated as you) but the question is is school that important. I mean, you're getting really far ahead here, lets get back here a little to the fundamentals, you're kinda asking why schools aren't like a production line for clever little Socrateses...but that ain't schools job, thats your job with the tools that school is meant to equip you with i.e. being literate.

Is school important? Shit, does tarzan shit in the woods? I got a uncle whoose 60 now, worked in factories and as a porter and all this shit his whole life, can't read a lick, comes to me with like, letters with doctors appointments like 'hey, i got this letter, whats it say?', i have to speak to his bills people, his doctors, his mobile phone company, everything. Why, cuz the guy didn't go to school and he can't read and write. Lets talk about that shit first, the shit school actually does do for you instead of wondering why it isn't pumping out boil-in-the-bag Einsteins.

I'm going to have to go full Len-tard with my response, breaking shit up. No more than a couple paragraphs at a time. Most of my responses are pretty simple, though, so this shouldn't take long.

Two things here. First, I didn't think we needed to have an argument about whether literacy is important. Of course it's important. I really don't think Nate was talking about whether he thought it was important to know how to read when he made the OP. So let's just assume everyone think it's important, at least everyone other than TM. Just jokes, TM.

Second, my point is not that schools produce sheep when they should be producing Socrateses and Einsteins. I don't have an opinion as far as the manner in which children should be engineered, but I do have a problem with the way children are currently, in the real world and not in some theoretical world, socially engineered. Most kids don't have the first clue why they go to college. Not all, but most. They just know they're supposed to and that .gov is giving out what appears to be - but which is definitely not - free money.

My mum can't read and write and like, being foreign it completely limits her and i see every way in which it does that, it breeds ignorance and ignorance breeds prejudice, like you can't communicate so you can't learn and when you can't learn you're prey to like, just attaching yourself to whatever 'way' you're presented with, no matter how ignorant...just cuz you don't know any better.

Again, reading and writing is important, but if we're doing anecdotes, how about this. My dad doesn't have a college degree. He just retired with cash money in the bank. My youngest brother doesn't have a college degree. He's employed full time. The middle brother has his MA. He had to go back for his PhD because he couldn't get a job. And that's in the sciences. I think I said in my first post in this thread that there are clear correlations between education and income. There are. But it's not like it used to be. It used to be easier to get a decent job without a great education, and it used to be harder to find yourself unemployed with a good education.

Now whether you go on to be an admirable intellect, thats on you and your own evolution and growth but without the requisite reading and writing skills you can't get to that position where you can grow. You wanna try (if you haven't) meeting some illiterate people, people that ain't never been to school, it is a sad fucking sight man.

So you'd be cool if school only taught reading and writing? Teach people that and send them out to experience the real world instead of the bullshit the rest of their classes are teaching them? OK, maybe.

See my previous comments on literacy.

And the less sharp those abilities are the less culturally aware you are and it renders you incapable of grasping shit, like socially, someones telling a joke with some kinda reference in it or like...trust me man, there is SOOOO much people take for granted about that shit and it's only when you spend time around people that are really incapable of doing that school taught shit that you realise the value of it.

You're really going on with this literacy thing. How in the world did you think I was saying literacy wasn't important?

Education is fucking empowering, it opens up the world before you, you earn money from it when you get a good job, yeah yeah it don't guarantee you a good job and all that but it puts you in a damn sight better position than some monkey whoose only got fuckin' like, 2 GCSEs or whatever.

Like I said, that's exactly what my first post stated.

It is so so so SO important, thats yours forever, when you get a degree or some shit, thats something you did, thats a fuckin' achievement, that shit gets you respect all over the world, when you're a person with education. In places like Asia it's like, tell em you got an MA or a Phd and even if you're broke as fuck you get BIG fuckin' respect...cuz they know you know shit, they treat you different, they serve you your food different, they come to you with their problems or for advice.

Get a good education, kids. That way you'll get food served to you differently when you go to Asia. :lol:

Sounds good in theory but I can't agree. Those are things parents should be teaching their children. I don't want my tax dollars going to my school district for courses on how not to be a dead beat dad, why you shouldn't do meth, how to control your kids in a restaurant. Educators are not there to take the place of parents, and they're not there to raise anyone's kids. And that's the crux of many of the problems right there. Parents who don't get involved in their child's education, maybe because they're too busy, or perhaps uneducated themselves, and they either don't have the time or the intellect to support the importance of getting an education.

But you don't mind a mandatory class that teaches me how to play wiffle ball and dodge ball for an hour a day?

What about accounting classes?

I suppose it's just a difference of opinion though. I'm glad to have the school teach my kids the dangers of drug use and unprotected sex. The more information they get about these things the better. Too many kids see Teenage Mom at 16 or whatever on MTV and how it's made these girls famous and millions of dollars, or a Kim Kardashian go from being a semi-wealthy trailer park trash type girl to one of the most popular people in the world (and super rich) because of a sex tape and then selling their souls to be on TV. Having a class that deals with the REAL side of teenage pregnancy and being a dead-beat dad seems like a pretty good idea to me.

But thats the question of the title, is school important, it just says school, not higher education, just school, not even college or university...and a lot of people in the thread since have been addressing the high school issue, hence my kinda hanging onto that, if that weren't your specific position then nevermind that bit. I guess I kinda took your post and ran with my interpretation which, as per my interpretation, appeared to be saying making a distinction between admirable intellects and good little servants, which i took to be saying something really specific, which is that schools are like dunce factories.

I guess you'd know better than me, since you work in one. But yeah, explain your position to me...also, what do you mean by kids go to college not knowing why they're there? (I'm not being narky here or anything, these are genuine questions).

Get a good education, kids. That way you'll get food served to you differently when you go to Asia. :lol:

:lol:
What i was trying to illustrate here, kinda haphazardly was that it's only here in the west where education is kind of a granted that you have discussions like these, for those that have to earn it its value is a lot greater, a learned man, a scholarly man gets respect in this world more than just some fuckin' schlepper.
Edited by Lennie Godber

Then you get all these kids pissing and moaning because their degree isn't like, a free ride to a job, where it's like 'OK, i done my degree, where's my job?' and then when it don't arrive in the post ten working days after having graduated then it's like 'Aw fuck education maaaan, what a waste all that was!' well I'm sorry but fuck that, if you thought getting a degree was like....a job wrapped up in a box with a bow on it to where you can just shut your brain off entirely and live on some kinda autopilot earning 60,000 a year for nothing well that ain't gonna happen education or no education, the only real difference is without an education they won't even give you the time of day and with one you'll at least be like, one out of the bunch they choose from. Its not like OK, wow, i got a degree, great, now i never have to show initiative again!

You're right as far as the distinction between education and no education, but it's not that simple. Kids, in the States at least, are just sort of funneled into colleges and loans without anyone helping them think critically about what they're doing and why. College is just what you're supposed to do. And for a long time, in the US at least, a college education pretty much guaranteed gainful employment. It's not the kids' faults that their parents and grandparents fucked that up and didn't tell them about it. Damn right they're mad.