Is school all that important?

arnold layne

Nothing is really important, cause there is no meaning to anything in life. School is important if you want certain things in life that you can only get access to by going to school and having the diplomas that will open those doors to some jobs or some shit, or knowing specific information only going to school and learning all about it will grant you. Like becoming a doctor for example.

Edited by Rovim

It's important because I couldn't do my job without it.

But there are many jobs you can do without it. And not just shit jobs.
I like my job though and in a few years I'll be making a six figure salary which I couldn't do without my degree.

It's important because I couldn't do my job without it.

But there are many jobs you can do without it. And not just shit jobs.
I like my job though and in a few years I'll be making a six figure salary which I couldn't do without my degree.

That's cool, I meant in general, wasn't talking about you. The question was if school was important. You said yes, I think yes, it is, in some cases. (probably most) but not all.

Edited by Rovim

Unless you are getting a degree for something specialized and in a lucrative market, it might not do you any good in this day and age. The truth is you need a good degree, a great network of people that can further that degree, lots and lots of luck and a bulletproof attitude. All these are inseparable and each is important as the next.

I was an English major and didn't realize how I was sizing myself out of a specific job while I was pursuing my studies. It's a very general degree, but it doesn't lend itself to direct things, unless you intend to teach, and privately at that, because you need an education degree to teach public schools.

Well if money is what motivates you I suppose a degree is excellent. Personally, I am more fulfilled by the interest and knowledge it gave me. I like my certificates because they represent that I, got through the English Civil War or Rome. I do not look at them thinking of the figures I will make.

I actually enjoyed school and I was a good student with little effort involved.
Without my education I would not have been granted an interview for any of the positions I've held. It's afforded me many opportunities and I live comfortably because of it. Well worth the amount of time it took to build my future.

Not really. Nothing is, because eventually we're all gonna die, and our influence will follow some time after. And eventually, the planet will be engulfed by the sun, probably leaving no trace of anything we accomplished.

But that's thinking very big and very long term. Thinking small and for the personal long term? Some of it is, yeah. Really though, a lot of what they teach you is just busy work after a certain point. For example, while I agree certain maths are useful depending upon the job you want to go into, I don't think they should be mandatory for everyone to do. This day in age, I think kids should just be taught to read and spell, math to a certain point, how to use computers and some science and health classes, but other than that it should all be optional.

And the idea of college is great, it's just that it ends up being so misused. A lot of people I graduated with are going there right out of school not knowing what they want to do with their lives. College is expensive as hell, so people should really think on what they want to do before going there, and they should not be told "You need to go there as soon as you graduate. If you don't, you'll be a failure. If you don't go in general, you will be on the streets and without a job." The way the schools paint it out, without the degree you won't reach any form of success, but with the degrees you'll be an instant success in life. They make it seem like that great job and future come with the degree, when they don't. It's a bad mentality to put into people.

Which brings me to the next point. Education is very important, yeah. But application is just as important, if not more so. So if you're smart, that's great, but if you've got a bad attitude toward work and quit a good job because you "didn't like it" like my cousin did, then life is going to ravage you pretty badly.