How have your musical tastes changed over the years?

The Real McCoy

If they have at all over the years?

The Stray Cats were my first favorite band. For whatever reason, my dad picked them as the band to introduce me to music. Still love them, and Brian Setzer will always be my #1 guitar hero.

From there, I discovered Aerosmith, which eventually led to GNR, which eventually led (unfortunately) to hair metal.

That is pretty much ALL that I listened to in high school (keep in mind that I graduated in 2004), and it's honestly pretty embarrassing to me these days. I look at my CD collection and have no idea what I was thinking. May need to get rid of a lot of that stuff in the near future. I don't listen to it anymore. It's all just taking up space.

Obviously, most of you know that I've been working in country radio for 8 years now, and that honestly has become my favorite genre at this point. Getting to know the artists and songs on that level makes it easy. And to be fair, today's country is more rock that today's rock is.

I've also gotten in to '90s radio rock / alternative a lot in the past few years. Been revisiting a lot of songs that I loved when I was younger, and I've been learning more about the artists/bands as I go along.

That said, I'll keep it country all day, every day at this point unless it's Aerosmith/GNR/Etc.

How about ya'all?

Edited by The Real McCoy

I was a dad rock enthusiast when I was a kid, then I discovered Nirvana around the time I joined here, which pushed me more towards alternative rock. Then I took a step out of the boring rock bubble thanks to hip hop and soul, and I started listening to every genre imaginable. Those of you who have been here since before 2010 probably remember me as the My World music police. I spent a lot of time being a snob and arguing with Nobody puts baby in a corner fans in this section. I kind of lost interest in that after a while, as well as discovering new music. Nowadays I rarely go out of my way to discover new music.

• Like 1

I was a dad rock enthusiast when I was a kid, then I discovered Nirvana around the time I joined here, which pushed me more towards alternative rock. Then I took a step out of the boring rock bubble thanks to hip hop and soul, and I started listening to every genre imaginable. Those of you who have been here since before 2010 probably remember me as the My World music police. I spent a lot of time being a snob and arguing with Nobody puts baby in a corner fans in this section. I kind of lost interest in that after a while, as well as discovering new music. Nowadays I rarely go out of my way to discover new music.

For the fight you had with Madison about hip hop I will always love you. :lol:

Started out with dad rock/metal and hated anything rap, hip hop, country, etc. Eventually got into more genres of rock ranging from U2 to NIN. Started to eventually get into rap/hip-hop and evolving from there. I'll listen to almost anything nowadays and give it a chance. I'm not genre specific anymore.

10 years ago I would have never thought my favorite bands/artists would range from Ozzy, to U2, to Kanye West :lol:

• Like 1

Started out with dad rock/metal and hated anything rap, hip hop, country, etc. Eventually got into more genres of rock ranging from U2 to NIN. Started to eventually get into rap/hip-hop and evolving from there. I'll listen to almost anything nowadays and give it a chance. I'm not genre specific anymore.

10 years ago I would have never thought my favorite bands/artists would range from Ozzy, to U2, to Kanye West :lol:

Like that time you called in a request to my show. :awesomeface:

• Like 1

I've always liked a wide variety of music but I do find all that angsty teenage bollocks a lot harder to stomach these days. It's like, you're 14, all you have to do is clean your room and tug your dick until your arm aches. Can't really feel a lot of sympathy there. :lol:

If I called in would you play me some Rolf Harris?
  • Like 1

I've always liked a wide variety of music but I do find all that angsty teenage bollocks a lot harder to stomach these days. It's like, you're 14, all you have to do is clean your room and tug your dick until your arm aches. Can't really feel a lot of sympathy there. :lol:

If I called in would you play me some Rolf Harris?

Who? :lol:

I grew up with almost every genre imaginable thanks to my mother. She frequently played The Beatles, David Bowie, Kate Bush, Patsy Cline, Aretha Franklin, Guns N' Roses, Prince, Tupac, N.W.A., TLC, Destiny's Child, Christina Aguilera, Aaliyah, Miles Davis, Mozart and more when I was growing up.

I went through a phase of hating 'mainstream pop' and being pretentious, but now if something sounds good and is fun, I'll listen to it. I don't care what genre or whatever.

Edited by ***Flawless
  • Like 1

My taste has developed a lot when it comes to GN'R as well. When I joined here, I loved everything they had released up until then. Nowadays, the only song by GN'R that I listen to regularly is "Every Rose Has Its Thorn".

Ah, those innocent days of early torrent sites. :lol:

My taste has developed a lot when it comes to GN'R as well. When I joined here, I loved everything they had released up until then. Nowadays, the only song by GN'R that I listen to regularly is "Every Rose Has Its Thorn".

Ah, those innocent days of early torrent sites. :lol:

What are you talking about?

I remember this question being asked in another forum. Here's what I put.

Well, back around 2008-2010, I used to listen to guys like Saliva, Seether, Limp Bizkit, Nickelback, and Kid Rock because of the fact that the WWE used some of their songs for a lot of their PPV theme songs. I don't know if I can really pinpoint one particular moment that made me ditch those bands.

Maybe, it's because I've been reading a lot of context from various sources saying that they suck or something like that (yeah, that's sheepish, but whatever). Over time, I probably began to really understand more on the whole lyrical content, song structuring, and utilization of instruments and that these guys lack for the most part in their catalog. Also maybe, their latest releases just did not speak to me well.

Over time, I find that there are bands like Foo Fighters, Rush, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, etc. that began to look really more appealing to me in terms of instrumental stances and lyrical stances and the bands I used listened to just don't have that depth at all. Also, I've been recently venturing into listening to stuff outside of rock like Justin Timberlake, Lindsey Stirling, and the Zac Brown Band.

Probably the only acts that I still listen to on a regular basis since I began being a music fan in 2006 is Alter Bridge and Daughtry.

Edited by Anguyen92

The only band that has been persistent on my musical tastes is GN'R, at least for the last 8 years. Putting that aside, I've gone from Japanese Pop to Chilean/Argentinan/Peruvian folklore, lately I'm a lot into Melodic Rock and AOR.

Since Spotify, I've been putting it all together on a playllist and it's quite a trip into my musical tastes and their evolution, I've been rediscovering old bands that I liked and listening on a daily basis all kinds of music

I started out on hard rock/metal in the early 90s (AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Megadeth), shifted to rap/hip hop in the late 90s (Cypress Hill, Public Enemy, Wu-Tang) and throughout the 00s I felt a disconnect with most bands and artists, I just wasn't digging any of the new music. The only consistent music that I've continually enjoyed since my teens is film scores. Which is probably why I appreciated CD when it came around as to me it feels very much like a mashup of the genres I like.

I remember there was a forum member on here a long time ago that used to post about finding new music every week. I'm sure it wasn't actually every week, but it felt like it ha. One week he would find the Cure, the next week Pink Floyd would be the greatest band in the world.

I miss feeling that way. Picking up a record and discovering a new band that has so much amazing music to go through. The feeling of getting lost in a record. There is still a lot of great new music out there, but it doesn't move me the way I used to be moved by music in the past. I must just be getting old.

• Like 1

I remember there was a forum member on here a long time ago that used to post about finding new music every week. I'm sure it wasn't actually every week, but it felt like it ha. One week he would find the Cure, the next week Pink Floyd would be the greatest band in the world.

I miss feeling that way. Picking up a record and discovering a new band that has so much amazing music to go through. The feeling of getting lost in a record. There is still a lot of great new music out there, but it doesn't move me the way I used to be moved by music in the past. I must just be getting old.

You speak words of wisdom my friend.

It feels like the brain gets full of music at one point... really strange feeling.

Weird thing is I'm just 18 :lol:

Still, sometimes I'm a few days without listening to music (specially when I'm in exams) an after that I always find a new kind of music that amazes me, it's completely :wow: .

The last rock band that gave me that feeling was the Cult. I went through a really heavy obsession with them a few years ago. Tracked down every album, single, EP, that I could find.

Was a major shitrocker when I was in middle school. Then I - you know, grew the fuck up.

I'll basically listen to any genre these days but mainly I go for experimental/electronic, jazz and film scores.

I'm very select when it comes to metal and rap. The lyrical content can be a major turnoff.

• Like 1

Pretty much all of this, except I still take a lot of time trying to discover new music.

I like to go onto indie websites like Pitchfork and browse through the new releases. Spotify makes it a hell of a lot easier. If I didn't have Spotify I'd probably not bother with it.

15 years ago: little hip-hop then classic rock ONLY
10 years ago: mostly metal and alt. rock plus street punk and hardcore
5 years ago: i discovered electronic music genres and after that i don't give a damn about a genre
Nowadays stoner metal is the real shit for me. Sometimes classical music, sometimes the beastcoast movement, sometimes bloody goregrind, sometimes mindfuck dnb drops, sometimes experimental music and a lot of psychedelia. sometimes get nostalgic with nu meta and hip-hopl bands sometimes like 80's heavy metal etc. rarely some folk music

I just hate the musical snobs and hipsters that's all

(and Kanye West he is a disgrace to humanity)

Edited by Crash Diet