Izzy Stradlin's 117*

ThomasMeadow

It's still more polished than like a Dog and Road. Jump in Now is another GNR possibility. There's always a decent but then the country on River maybe isn't as relatable to GNR fans. Far Below Me Now could be like Dead Flowers I guess. If you cherry pick. But 117 is like the UYI of Izzy.

I just think when they became a stadium band, Izzys aesthetic just became a bit lost. In a stadium even Slashs bluesy guitar is less important to the sing a longs. That's why maybe Axl came to prominence the singer armed with Elton songs is vital to stadium shows. In 91 I only noticed Izzy when he did DNB. Slash was always soloing on a ramp but it could have been anyone. Axl was carrying the show out front. There's a slight tonal shift in the 09 show but really it was the same except Ron was soloing on a ramp.

Well, who wants to watch music in a football stadium?

It seems a lot of people. A cavernous stadium. Guns became a stadium rock band and the stuff Izzy wanted to do wouldn't fly unless Slash and Axl beefed them up. Just type of vocalist Axl is it guides the music bigger. Izzy don't really need it but songs like Don't Cry were changed into stadium anthems. Even Patience is taken further with the "Livin' the Dream" part. November Rain became the centre piece of the show in the stadium setting.

If you have discovered the band, it should not matter if a potential Britney fan has been re-directed to your band. You already have the music after all. Who cares if Izzy does not have Petty's success (it does not seem to hinder him)/ Who cares about any of this stuff?

You might not care but it matters. Well it afforded Izzy his solo stuff and not have to live in squalor. It gave him an audience. This thread probably doubled his iTunes sales. You living in a fantasy world if you think Izzy would even have a solo career without GNR, or Axl. And vices n verses. Axl needed Izzy too but hes still in GNR. But this idea that everyone that played on AFD is some untouchable genius that never needed Axl or GNR is rubbish. Axl and Slash made GNR more commercial and that in turn gave Izzy a chance to go solo. None of his songs in his solo format would be that big. It only really comes into play when you start saying how cool and better than everyone that that comes into play though. He has every right to go solo but he's not better than everyone else.

Izzy's albums get progressively worse after the Ju Ju hounds, but there's definitely cool tracks spread out among his discography.

As far as 117, It's been years since i've given it a spin but I was always really partial to "Up Jumped the Devil" and "Menthanol."

"Methanol," especially, had really cool chords. You can hear the skeleton of what could have potentially been a great GN'R song, if it had been Slash-ed up

You might not care but it matters. Well it afforded Izzy his solo stuff and not have to live in squalor. It gave him an audience. This thread probably doubled his iTunes sales. You living in a fantasy world if you think Izzy would even have a solo career without GNR, or Axl. And vices n verses. Axl needed Izzy too but hes still in GNR. But this idea that everyone that played on AFD is some untouchable genius that never needed Axl or GNR is rubbish. Axl and Slash made GNR more commercial and that in turn gave Izzy a chance to go solo. None of his songs in his solo format would be that big. It only really comes into play when you start saying how cool and better than everyone that that comes into play though. He has every right to go solo but he's not better than everyone else.

Strawman argument as I was directing my argument at his solo career. GN'R were anyhow already millionaires before the, cheesy videos and bollocks in a pair of white shorts, era.

... that made me think that's the difference between Keef or whoever and Izzy, there's still a punk element. Maybe that's why his solo still sounds a little GNR. It's Churry Berry played by the Ramones, Stonesy with a touch of Hanoi Rocks or something. It's always dirty and weird.

Exactly.

Izzy wrote the guitar for "Anything Goes", "Rocker" and "Killing Time" with Chris Weber.

Check the guitar on those songs!

Those riffs are pretty much speed metal riffs.

Terrific stuff;

Keith Richards couldn't play that kind of music to save his life.

So, yes, I agree 100% with you, Izzy has this "stonesy" feel on his songs but he also manages to infuse this rock-punk-dirty thing on them as well;

I think with Keef it's more rock n roll is punk, like Pistols is Chuck Berry played faster, so they could adapt.

Izzy seems broader and maybe more punk rock. Like you said there's Jump in Now on River amongst some more Gram Parsons. But theres a heavier and darker side on Ride On and Like A Dog.

But he still drops in Parasite on 117. There's always something heavier than the Stones.

I got this album when I was in college in the late 90s. Probably had it on repeat for a year.

My favorite Izzy album.

For those not familiar with Izzy's music, he is the guy that brought the melody to GNR songs. You can hear it in his music, each song has a great melody.

Axl brought the vicious vocals, Slash the guitar riffs, Duff the punk bass lines, and Steve the rock drumming.

I got this album when I was in college in the late 90s. Probably had it on repeat for a year.

My favorite Izzy album.

For those not familiar with Izzy's music, he is the guy that brought the melody to GNR songs. You can hear it in his music, each song has a great melody.

Axl brought the vicious vocals, Slash the guitar riffs, Duff the punk bass lines, and Steve the rock drumming.

As I understand it Izzy did the cords on a lot, like on SCOM and Nightrain are two I was surprised to find out. Obviously Brownstone and Think About You and Anything Goes. Jungle and OTGM, Crazy (?), RQ seem more Slash riff oriented. But if it's a tune Izzy wrote it. 14 Years, DNB, Pretty Tied Up, YCBM, Bad Obsession, RNDTH, Perfect Crime. Patience and Don't Cry. If you take Izzy out you've got Garden of eden and Nov Rain.