My review of Slash's show on 9/9/14

Iron MikeyJ

I didn't read the entire review, although I certainly would like to maybe later today.

What I did notice was your criticism of You Could Be Mine. Listen, Myles isn't comfortable singing GNR songs and that is because it period. I don't think he's ever said that, but its noticeable. However, I can't do anything other than applaud his efforts. They have to be played because this is Slash after all and he has a right to play them, and Myles sings them like a champ. I think he very actively avoids singing them like Axl, as he won't use any of his famous ad libs and he avoids Axl's iconic screams. But he sings them consistently and he does the job that has be done with them for them to get played. Bottom line is no one sings like Axl used to, and Myles is the best or on par with the best that we've heard of people that mimic it. I can't name one person I think that sings them outstandingly so to me Myles is the best bet.

In terms of a reunion, I do think that ship has sailed. The Hall Of Fame was probably the last big thing to get them (I have always said it) and is one of the reasons I didn't want them going in so soon because they weren't all quite ready to bury the hatchet yet. Now that thats gone, Slash is about to go on tour for his new album for the next at least year, probably year and a half. Who knows what Axl will be doing in that time period, or how good his voice will be in 2 years. I think the problem is they all have too much going on for it now, and if the time ever arose that they didn't, Axl just wouldn't have the chops for it anymore. Us whining will never bring it and I don't compare either Slash's or Axl's show to what a reunion could be cause its pointless.

Great review and I agree with your assessment of Slash shows. I've seen Slash five times since 2010 (as he ended up playing at festivals I was going to) and have to say whilst musically all the shows were great the weak point really is Myles. Whilst he's an amazing singer the guy just has zero stage presence, sure it's all about Slash but you really need a great frontman to give a first class show. I mean Scott aint the best singer in the world but he was one hell of a performer in VR.

Great review and I agree with your assessment of Slash shows. I've seen Slash five times since 2010 (as he ended up playing at festivals I was going to) and have to say whilst musically all the shows were great the weak point really is Myles. Whilst he's an amazing singer the guy just has zero stage presence, sure it's all about Slash but you really need a great frontman to give a first class show. I mean Scott aint the best singer in the world but he was one hell of a performer in VR.

Thanks. I agree, musically they do sound good for the most part. But other than Slash they are extrememly boring to watch. I've seen better performances out of bar bands. Honestly I'd rather go see Jeff Beck or Steve Vai or another virtuoso if I'm going to watch the guitar player. Which I'm not saying Slash (himself) was bad, just very pedestrian peforomance from his band. They seemed stiff or scared or maybe thats just how they are?

Maybe slash plays scom because, idk, the fans like it? it's a classic, slash gives the fans what they want

Obviously. End of discussion.

Read the review, here's the problem with it. This is not a Slash solo show and only if you've seen one of them you'll know how different it is. The energy is different, the crowd is different and the show is different. Slash doesn't play as many GNR songs or he does but it doesn't feel overbearing during his solo shows. They are half of the set here because he is opening for Aerosmith and the crowd is mainly made up of casual fans. That is what THESE people want to hear and he's delivering. Its probably for the best because I think if they hear what they want, they may come back. Whereas if he played no GNR, they would be upset he didn't and avoid him if they ever got another chance.

And as has always been said, Axl gets shit because he kept the GNR name. Totally different scenario. He can play those songs, but he is expected to further the GNR brand if he wanted to hang onto it, and he really hasn't. His set is 75% classic Guns material, without the original Guns members, and after 20 years that is pretty unacceptable. Slash's show is 30% GNR, at most, and the rest is new or his classic solo material.

Sorry, but I disagree with your whole review. The only thing I agree with is Myles has bad stage presence, although yet again, I think he and the band are seen and play differently during one of their solo shows. You yelling "Axl" is as retarded as people yelling "Slash" at a GNR show. Sorry, but thats ridiculous.

• Like 1

And so far, the only person thats agreed is someone that has also only seen them at festivals. See a full show and it is completely different and I don't think a review is fair until you do. GNR is different, because when GNR play festivals, they are the same as their regular shows cause Axl has the name to get that slot, whereas Slash just has the ability to get billed as Slash.

Didn't read the entire review because I stopped when you started complaining about the set. What you saw is only half of the set he usually plays since you saw him opening for Aerosmith.

Slash has the right to play whatever he wants and, as far as I remember, nobody gives Axl shit for performing songs he wrote with other people. :shrugs:

Your review = 0/10

So nobody gives Axl shit for performing songs he wrote with other people??? Are you new here??? He gets shit everytime.

Look I agree folks, Slash can play whatever guns songs he wants, but when half your set is guns songs I'm gonna call him out on that. Espcially when he has a new album. Obviously as an opener he is limited in time, but he choose to play the songs, thats my point. He could have came out and played only 2 or 3 guns songs and I would have said "ok, thats cool."

Like I said in my review, it was YCBM that crossed the line for me. That's like Axl playing Coma or DTJ imo. You know Axl isn't going to play those songs, you just know. The other songs I didn't really have much of an issue with, but YCBM is some BS.

Your review of my review 0/10

Edited by Mike420
  • Like 3

Didn't read the entire review because I stopped when you started complaining about the set. What you saw is only half of the set he usually plays since you saw him opening for Aerosmith.

Slash has the right to play whatever he wants and, as far as I remember, nobody gives Axl shit for performing songs he wrote with other people. :shrugs:

Your review = 0/10

So nobody gives Axl shit for performing songs he wrote with other people??? Are you new here??? He gets shit everytime.

Look I agree folks, Slash can play whatever guns songs he wants, but when half your set is guns songs I'm gonna call him out on that. Espcially when he has a new album. Obviously as an opener he is limited in time, but he choose to play the songs, thats my point. He could have came out and played only 2 or 3 guns songs and I would have said "ok, thats cool."

Like I said in my review, it was YCBM that crossed the line for me. That's like Axl playing Coma or DTJ imo. You know Axl isn't going to play those songs, you just know. The other songs I didn't really have much of an issue with, but YCBM is some BS.

ahaha crossed the line? He can play an all gnr song set if he wants. We was the guitarist on the material after all. Axl gets shit because he acted like he wanted to distance himself from gnrs past, yet he plays mostly old songs and covers.

Nope. Nobody. Name one person who complains about Rose performing Gn'R songs. Axl gets shit for being shit, for sounding like shit and not giving a shit about his fans.

Yes, but it is not his show, it's an Aerosmith show and he has to play what those Aerosmith fans and possibly Gn'R casual fans want to hear. You're not calling anybody out, Slash doesn't know you exist.

No, it's not like Axl playing Coma or... DTJ? lol. Axl won't be performing those songs because 1. Coma is impossible for Axl to sing. 2. DTJ is not a song most people want to hear. None of those reasons have anything to do with Slash.

If you accept Axl sounding like utter shit, then you can't complain about Myles singing YCBM.

I didn't make a review of your review. I rated your review. I now understand why people call you Mikeshit. :lol:

• Like 2

Your review = 0/10

Nosaj, come on, many posters here give GNR shit about living off the old stuff. You know that. It surprised me that Slash still plays a lot of Guns songs, because many here say Slash has moved on and Axl hasn't and I hadn't followed him at all, so I just thought he might've played one or two GNR songs and that's it, because, you know, he has a larger catalogue to choose from. (Duh.)

Of course Slash can play those songs, he has the right to play those songs, and I'm sure the fans love to hear him play those songs, but I think some are a bit unfair when they bash Axl because he plays old songs (with GNR) and then say Slash just gives the fans what they want.

So in that regard I see what Mike's saying.

As to his review, I don't know, haven't seen Slash & Myles live YET, but I'll post my review in november :)

• Like 1

Your review = 0/10

you remember wrong :lol:

• Like 1

Back in '09 - '10, Axl was playing 8 to 10 CD songs on tour. No one gave him shit about playing the old songs because he was pretty focused on the new material, the old material was more like a bonus. Now the classic tunes are basically the whole show. People didn't bitch about setlists until after that tour. So no, there wasn't always whining about being a nostalgia act, until it actually became a nostalgia act. That, and the fact that Axl just can't sing a lot of those songs anymore leads to most of the criticism now.

• Like 4

People don't give Axl shit for playing the old songs, name or no name. It's the amount of emphasis it makes up in the setlist after all these years that people give him shit for. That after all this time, the old songs that the current nu band had nothing to do with are still used as such a clutch to put asses in the seats. I (and most people) NEVER expected or wanted Axl to stop playing old guns songs altogether, but he and the nu line up would be more respected if they had an equal amount, or a more delicate balance of their OWN material making up the setlist. Especially after all the time and money they invested into this material. Which was a helluva lot. Aside from 2010, that hasn't really happened. And for the last couple of years, nu songs have been played at a absolute minimum for piss breaks, aside from a rare show or two. And it just comes off as a bit cheap.

Slash was just an opening act at this particular show, and even then played a more delicate balance of a gnr heyday/post gnr heyday ratio than Axl has in the past several years. On the regular, gnr songs (as in again, the 87-91 material people care about) make up the minimum of Slash's setlist, which I honestly find respectable as he and Myles could easily do the opposite and attract way more of a casual audience.

Meanwhile, Axl is milking that heyday cow dry now more than ever, and then wonders why nobody takes his career seriously as a creative entity anymore. Including us. Go figure :shrugs:

Edited by Bobbo
  • Like 2