My review of Slash's show on 9/9/14

Iron MikeyJ

Great review MIKE420. I am still a Slash fan, and while his solo work is great, he still seems like a guy without a band. He plays GNR tunes b/c they are more popular than his other stuff. He deserves better.

I am not craving a reunion like you tho. The worst thing about a possible reunion is if they only did it for the money. GNR was never about the money.

That's true, gnr has always managed to maintain some sort of rock and roll dignity, unlike Aerosmith for example (for whatever thats worth). So I get the whole "don't do itfor the money attitude. I guess I'm just more of a realist than some on this forum, I have excepted the fact that they are essentially a nostolgia band at this point. Slash's album might get good reviews and even be pretty good, but it'll be dead this time next year. And if Axl ever decides to release another album, it will probably be pretty good, but I expect CD type numbers, maybe even less. I used to think Axl was going to come down of his mountain and give rock and roll the kick in the balls that it desperatly needs, but then CD was released. Obviously that didn't happen. At this point I'm not sure a true Axl/Slash gnr album could give rock and roll a jump start either, it appears to me that ship has sailed. They both seem regulated to the nostolgia circuit at this point, but what do you expect from a couple of 50 somethings? So I'm just calling it what it is, so as a fan, I'd rather see them play the nostolgia circuit together than a part. Might as well, what the hell is there to lose? Dignity? Respect? Being current? That ship has sailed my friends....

Mate, theres plenty of ways to be "relevant"... I still think a lot of older bands are relevant... the music might not be getting played on the radio every second song these days as when the record was released, but its still relevant to me. It's a hell of a lot more relevant than say.. Justin Beiber, or Bruno Mars or Miley Cyrus.. and that shit does get played every second song on the radio.

I generally agree with your point about them getting back together though. FWIW i am an Old gnr fan, the current line up bar axl does not do a whole lot for me. I respect them, especially BBF because he is very good at what he does, and i went and saw New gnr in Newcastle Australia in March 2013 and had an absolute ball.. which brings me back to my post on page 10 about contradicting myself ;)

I had a really great time at that concert.. in fact it was the best concert ive been too, raved about it to everyone i spoke too, axl was ON that night and i have not s single complaint what so ever about the show. However... if you asked me who i would rather go see.. new gnr or old gnr (with sorum) id choose old gnr.. because to me thats GNR.. they made those songs what they were.

As for your point (again) on relevancy... if slash, addler or sorum, izzy and slash got back with Axl and announced a tour.. id reckon that would become pretty fucking relevant pretty fucking quickly ;)

it would sell out anywhere on the planet, no doubt about it. The songs might not be brand new.. but by god it would get rock fans in general excited. Thats pretty relevant.

Essentially.. to back up what i was saying on page 10... When it comes to GnR (old or new).. im full of contradictions about how i feel about it all.. but thats what this band does to me. :lol:

The whole argument against nostalgia and old bands is kind of stupid. They made those classics, and they can still perform them. Who cares if they aren't all creatively viable? In 50 years no one will be able to see these people. Its a damn blessing they are out there playing still. Just because a great tune may be 20-50 years old doesn't make it less relevent imo

• Like 1

It's just a reality, it's a shame in a way that Billy Corgan struggles to be creative in that environment but people also just want to have fun after 20 hour shift at the toffee factory. So play Today and shut up. It's great that he puts out Doomsday Clock and Oceania though.