Hipsters

Ace Nova

Haven't read back but here's the thing I don't get about so-called hipsters: What's with the thing where they support things ironically. Like when you see a hipster wearing a Britney Spears t-shirt or something. Sure, they're doing it for the lulz, but they bought it, right? So they gave money to support something they're trying to make fun of. I truly don't get that.

Haven't read back but here's the thing I don't get about so-called hipsters: What's with the thing where they support things ironically. Like when you see a hipster wearing a Britney Spears t-shirt or something. Sure, they're doing it for the lulz, but they bought it, right? So they gave money to support something they're trying to make fun of. I truly don't get that.

What's to get? They're idiots.

What's to get? They're idiots.

Fair enough.

2 Broke Girls has a lot of hipster bashing. You know they go to a vintage bar that serves beer in hubcaps or something.

Asians dress like Americans for the most part.

2 Broke Girls has a lot of hipster bashing. You know they go to a vintage bar that serves beer in hubcaps or something.

Asians dress like Americans for the most part.

I'm not even sure it's irony. It's more like image sarcasm. Irony would be if they wore the shirt as a joke but then turned into huge Britney fans for real?

But there's a lot of fake stuff around. Like you sit in a pub and realise its just been fabricated to look old or a diner like that. So why not fabricate something else like a vintage speakeasy? Why a fake trad pub over and over? I like a solid sports bar to be honest if you could get beer in Carl's jr is never leave.

I would saying knowingness. Like those girls are knowingly cute.

People say hipster do that, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone wear anything ironically before

• Like 2

The Hipster "I'm doing xyz because of the irony" is the epitome of cuntishness. Just fuck off.

Ok..

People don't actually do this (very rarely, perhaps). And they dont actually use typewriters, either

the word hipster at this point is just an internet meme with no real meaning. everyone has a different interpretation of it. Society just had to come up with a name for people who wear thick rimmed glasses and then it got blown out of proportion to be some kind of subculture when it's really not. The closest tangible thing to it is indie rock and some of their fans, and it's not really new that a subgenre's fans all dress similarly

Most of the time when someone is called a hipster it's either a joke or because of how they dress.

Oh, and "hipsterism" isnt the rival or opposite of "shitrockism", thats an entirely made up thing on mygnr. This entire forum has made up so much fucked up shit about the word. It's the dumbest discussion on here. Nine Inch Nails also has nothing to do with hipsters.

• Like 1

Hipsters came out of Williamsburg, NY I think? That's what the locals called the young, unemployed, arty people living in the cheap apartments or whatever. wearing skinny jeans and living in the coffee shop.

I think the hate comes out of, if not jealousy, it's just annoying seeing kids with no money buying a no name brand cola and pretending it's cool. They have no real problems so they have time to give a shit about vintage stools. I guess they grow out of it and become as jaded as everyone queuing in Starbucks for a Frappcackino.

The Hipster "I'm doing xyz because of the irony" is the epitome of cuntishness. Just fuck off.

I think it's more like an idea where, i dunno, it might've been a good idea the first or second time someone thought of it but when you got 50,000 cunts all being ironic for each others pleasure it makes you wonder whether it's not done to hide something.

But if you (not you personally!) want someone to blame for this shit blame the Seattle lot, they started all that, wearing all big handlebar mustaches and dressing and acting like hicks, y'know, to satirise or whatever. And whaddya know, turns out the truth was that they actually were just hicks anyway :lol:

Perhaps it's the same with all the ironic t shirt-wearing brigade, perhaps they protest too much, perhaps they were actually kids raised on that sort of pop music from a very early age and this is the only way they can seperate themselves from it (in a roundabout way :lol:) and appear cool to whoever it is they feel like being cool to.

But more power to em, yeah, i don't get it but i'm 31, I don't think I'm supposed to get it. I really don't see anything different with it from the whole Seattle lot too...and they like similar kind of music, obscure kinda music, all around bands like Beat Happening and whatever that kinda mentality prevailed. The dress and the kitsch and the glasses and etc etc etc

It's just the jeans are skinnier, the clothes look more expensive and the boys look more gay.

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1

I think every image could and should be mocked. The need to project something more then what you are is dumb. How 'bout projecting your humanity? what a concept!

But a lot of people are too fuckin' insecure to not concern themselves with "what do I stand for, what do I want people to think I'm all about?" what a bunch of horseshit. We're not that important. I can judge for myself when they open their mouth and interact with me. Too progressive of an idea for a lot of people it seems.

When someone is too fussy about themselves, I always lean to "heh, dis a shallow cunt, probably boring or got boring issues or both, stay away". Of course it's not ALWAYS like that cause everyone's different but for the most part, if you can't be yourself, something is wrong or you're a cunt.

That said I'd wear a Britney Spears t shirt and im not exactly a fan of her music :D i had a Nazi t shirt like Sid Vicious does that count? I weren't wearing that to be ironic though i was wearing it cuz it looked ridiculous on me and was patently offensive, thats not a million miles away from wearing something to be ironic...and punk was about a lot of that too, shock value etc.

I think I'm starting to change my own mind here, yeah, come to that, why are the clothes you wear bound to reflect some sort of unifying inner truth anyway? :lol:

'i wear jeans a plain white t shirt because i'm so real!' :lol:

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1