The Seymour Trilogy - Street of Dreams, Better, There was a Time

What do you think of this Trilogy of songs SOD, Better, TWAT - how does it match up against the Illusion trilogy?

maybe This I Love and Prostitute also considered.

Then its a pentalogy then; I don't think there is any doubt that they are all about Seymour. Don't Cry/November Rain/Estranged still hold their own against those five songs, even though TWAT is probably in my top ten GN'R tracks. The CD songs are good, but the UYI songs are legendary.

I think they just make shit up as they go along.

I have yet to really make a comment on the "THIS I LOVE IS THE WORST FUCKING SONG EVER" type of threads because I haven't really been able to express my sentiments for the song. Your post sums it up, "This I Love" seems like an awkwardly ad-libbed song.

Most "epic" songs in classic rock (Bohemian Rhapsody, Stairway to Heaven, Layla, Freebird, Scenes from an Italian Restaurant) were unfinished and then another song idea came in and it somehow worked for the song. If he wanted to write a trilogy, should have written it as a suite.

What do you think of this Trilogy of songs SOD, Better, TWAT - how does it match up against the Illusion trilogy?

How does it match up? It doesn't. UYI songs are some leagues above the mediocrity that is the final version of CD. I can agree that all three songs were good at some point. Their final versions are lol-worthy. "LOOONG TIMEE" :rofl-lol:

I like the fact that some of the lyrics are a bit more oblique, especially on twat. The illusions trilogy is lyrically excruciating in parts to be honest.

All that "Lord help me i'm so fucked up but working thru my psychological problems" was pretty awful, and looked about as cool as dogshit the second cobain and vedder showed up.

But the music itself is much, much weaker on the more recent songs IMO. Put estranged next to any of those later three and it's like parking a Bentley next to beat-up old hatch.

Street of Dreams is okay, nothing great besides the solo and high notes by Axl at the end. Better is a great song with a good chorus and Bumblefoot's or Buckethead's guitar work (can't remember which one was on it at the top of my head, I think Bumble). There Was a Time is my second favorite GN'R song of all-time. Fantastic guitar work from all the players, especially Buckethead's solo. And great lyrics and high notes by Axl. I like the song a lot because I think everyone in the band shines on it. Literally, everyone. Even Chris Shitman.

The Erin Trilogy>Seymour Trilogy imo. I mean, Don't Cry, November Rain and Estranged is pretty much untouchable musically.

Better has nothing to do with Seymour

TIL does

Btw only TWAT that are stand the test of time for me

TIL is probably the oldest composition on CD (Axl doesn't even want to put it out)

love me some seymour weeping. Can mix it with anything and it will be instantly epic. A lot of people bitch about it, but the truth is it's essential if you want Axl to be really into it if it's a ballad type thing.

Some men just walk it off. Axl likes to really sink his teeth into why some bitch was a cunt to him. It don't really matter. The point is it works. It's inspired because he's still butthurt about it. Whatever it is. Seems like there are 4 main things that really get him going: lies that they tell, bitches be cray, don't fuckin' tell me what to do, Slash - bad. (if you only knew)

New Guns is an open ended therapy session but the shrink is insane, and the patient is the listener but also Axl himself. He's aware, it's just he won't let go of his views, pain, anger and memories and it's all very, very nuts, in a good way but on Axl time. He's still digesting shit that happened 20 years ago, and it's like it happened yesterday.

Edited by Rovim

Rovim, I find on CD Axl to be the shrink and the patient at the same time. Which to me still makes for fascinating lyrics, but perhaps not the most relatable to those who haven't had to go to court every other week or got to sleep with super models.

Checking bucket list.

Yep, that's still on there. :lol:

Even if it's just passing phrases in non related songs, the entire CD album feels a bit connected to Stephanie in some way.

No, not the entire album. Not Chinese Democracy, Shackler's, If The World, Catcher, Scraped, Riad, Madagascar, and possibly Sorry (not about Slash lol) and I.R.S.

Not even close.

Rovim, I find on CD Axl to be the shrink and the patient at the same time. Which to me still makes for fascinating lyrics, but perhaps not the most relatable to those who haven't had to go to court every other week or got to sleep with super models.

Checking bucket list.

Yep, that's still on there. :lol:

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant: Axl is like the shrink and the patient and the listener changes rolls as well. Other times he gets so carried away with proving he's innocent that I feel like he puts himself in a trial again like the media and the public did, like in Prostitute and I.R.S. so he'll get the chance to defend himself.

It's not objective, but you get the feeling he's really trying to logically explain it which is weird cause he don't care, he's fuckin' crazy. He's trying to first explain his fall and how his enemies and people who betrayed him are really tragic figures that were always limited by their lack of integrity, while trying to prove his own.

He really cares what others think of him. I remember Tommy saying how he wished Axl didn't care so much about what others think of him. Unfathomable for Tommy, he's like the opposite of him in that regard: he truly don't give a fuck.

So as the shrink, Axl is very aware and has the tools to sort shit out, and has the will to solve the problem.

As the patient, the problem is the rest of the world. Hard to blame yourself when you truly don't understand why not every little thing someone did to you matters anymore. He wants justice and to expose dem liars, but it doesn't end there: he's too obsessive to let shit go. There is not that much closure, at least not inside of Chinese Democracy. Maybe the end of Prostitute instrumentally but to be continued with CD ll.

Sorry indicates to me he's obsessive while Better does not. There is growth there maybe, but it's wip.

Axl's condition may have given him the access to tell a story like Catcher in some of the verses. He's all alone, that seems to be a central theme for Axl.

"I would do anything for you" still so much pain and anger there. Bitter, and unable to fully let go, but not all of him is reduced to that. Just a pretty big part.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

The Erin Trilogy>Seymour Trilogy imo. I mean, Don't Cry, November Rain and Estranged is pretty much untouchable musically.

Steph definitely got the short end of the stick song wise.

I appreciate Axl's sentiments regarding that dame since he created superb music in the 2000's and I am interested/affected by the source of the reason behind the creation and emotion poured into such stellar musical pieces. Even if he didn't make any songs about it, I still woulda felt bad for him but it's good he had an outlet for such an obviously potent hole scarred into his psyche. They can't really be fairly compared to old GNR's classics, they deal with love n' loss and are definitely rock n' roll but that's as far as it goes except the Ax-man is singing on 'em, two different vantage points and textures for me.

I like the fact that some of the lyrics are a bit more oblique, especially on twat. The illusions trilogy is lyrically excruciating in parts to be honest.

All that "Lord help me i'm so fucked up but working thru my psychological problems" was pretty awful, and looked about as cool as dogshit the second cobain and vedder showed up.

But the music itself is much, much weaker on the more recent songs IMO. Put estranged next to any of those later three and it's like parking a Bentley next to beat-up old hatch.

I'd park TWAT next to Estranged in the garage but there's two walk in freezers of Ben & Jerriy's and motocross bike in there. To me TWAT is comparable there's parts of TWAT that are musically beyond Estranged.

Whereas the UYI songs are more down and out, the CD trilogy is full of overcoming. This I Love is the final throes of fully fucked UYI, then Prostitute finds a way to overcome it.

• Like 1