Slash as a songwriter

phaeryen

If you listen to Izzy solo albums every albums he does one really big riff that u cod see being GNR. Jump in Now, ain't it a Bitch, track 3 of like a dog.

I'm going to guess Slash riffs now.

Jungle

Out Ta get me

Paradise city

My Michelle

Crazy

RQ

Garden of Eden

Don't damn me

Coma

Civil War

Get in the Ring

Locomotive

Out Ta Get Me, My Michelle, and You're Crazy are Izzy's I believe.

I'D LIKE TO ADD:

Duff has limited vocal chops, but his voice workd perfectly for backing vocals. He has decent-to-good songwriting chops, pretty much like Slash;

Damn I think that is harsh! Duff wrote my favorite GNR song (It's So Easy).

it's a fantastic song, no doubt. I love it!

I remember reading that he wrote the basic (or initial) idea for the song, the core of the song, and then everybody added something.

I remember reading an old interview (maybe it's appetite press-release interview) where duff mentions something like one of the guys brings an idea and the band "rapes" the idea, twists it, turns it upside down and back again, and then you have a song where everybody had an input, and he was actually celebrating that "way" of making music.

I'D LIKE TO ADD:

Duff has limited vocal chops, but his voice workd perfectly for backing vocals. He has decent-to-good songwriting chops, pretty much like Slash;

Damn I think that is harsh! Duff wrote my favorite GNR song (It's So Easy).

it's a fantastic song, no doubt. I love it!

I remember reading that he wrote the basic (or initial) idea for the song, the core of the song, and then everybody added something.

I remember reading an old interview (maybe it's appetite press-release interview) where duff mentions something like one of the guys brings an idea and the band "rapes" the idea, twists it, turns it upside down and back again, and then you have a song where everybody had an input, and he was actually celebrating that "way" of making music.

West Arkeen had the initial spark along with Duff. And it was a sing along type swingy kind of tune, and then Slash took it and raped it.

Edited by moreblack

I think I've only heard a couple of his songs(complete songs), beggargs and something, and to be alive?, both pretty lame.

I'm not sure if saying he's terrible is true, but I just do not like his solo work, I've tried to listen to some of his songs, but they suck.

Edited by El Rezzo

I think I've only heard a couple of his songs, beggargs and something, and to be alive?, both pretty lame.

I'm not sure if saying he's terrible is true, but I just do not like his solo work, I've tried to listen to some of his songs, but they suck.

So you listen to two out of more than 100 songs? Congratulations

• Like 1

I think I've only heard a couple of his songs, beggargs and something, and to be alive?, both pretty lame.

Thanks man, I wish I had listen fewer songs, maybe none of them, but it was impossible at that time. Edited by El Rezzo

Thanks man, I wish I had listen fewer songs, maybe none of them, but it was impossible at that time.

You can't forget it, but you wish you could. Your wounds will heal someday.

• Like 1

Thanks man, I wish I had listen fewer songs, maybe none of them, but it was impossible at that time.

Nobody forces you to like his music, thats totally fine if you don't. But saying you don't like it while stating you haven't heard it, both in the same post, seems somehow strange to me.

So you don't like what you've heard so far and probably you wouldn't like the rest of his stuff either, but judging without knowing is kind of 'meh' :)

• Like 1

Nobody forces you to like his music, thats totally fine if you don't. But saying you don't like it while stating you haven't heard it, both in the same post, seems somehow strange to me.

So you don't like what you've heard so far and probably you wouldn't like the rest of his stuff either, but judging without knowing is kind of 'meh' :)

Nope, I've edited my post, I meant I've listened only to 2 complete songs, in the same post I said I've tried to listen all songs, but they're so bad, at least for me, that I never finish the songs, sure there are only around 20 or 30 that I've heard out of 100s, but none of them is good IMO. And in this is what I based my opinion that I do not like slash as a songwriter, not only in two songs.

Edit: He's good working with others, like in GN'R or VR, but solo, he's bad.

Edited by El Rezzo

Duff did the arrangement for Paradise City?

I think so, I've read somewhere he was responsible for that arrangement mainly, but I'm not sure.

I got from Duffs book that coming out of Seattle he was in a serious band that was successful. From Adlers book Slash and himself were living like rock stars before GNR. But Duff was already pretty schooled. Axl n Izzy still pretty much wild cards on sunset strip. In guessing Duff was a great musician and basically got the band serious with the hell tour. Duff and Izzy are the real difference between GNR and Poison. And for all of them to find a ferocious singer is just a free ride. Not free I guess there was VAT. Value Axl Tax.

Nope, I've edited my post, I meant I've listened only to 2 complete songs, in the same post I said I've tried to listen all songs, but they're so bad, at least for me, that I never finish the songs, sure there are only around 20 or 30 that I've heard out of 100s, but none of them is good IMO. And in this is what I based my opinion that I do not like slash as a songwriter, not only in two songs.

Edit: He's good working with others, like in GN'R or VR, but solo, he's bad.

Than I'm sorry for attacking you that way.

:)

Duff did the arrangement for Paradise City?

I think so, I've read somewhere he was responsible for that arrangement mainly, but I'm not sure.

I got from Duffs book that coming out of Seattle he was in a serious band that was successful. From Adlers book Slash and himself were living like rock stars before GNR. But Duff was already pretty schooled. Axl n Izzy still pretty much wild cards on sunset strip. In guessing Duff was a great musician and basically got the band serious with the hell tour. Duff and Izzy are the real difference between GNR and Poison. And for all of them to find a ferocious singer is just a free ride. Not free I guess there was VAT. Value Axl Tax.

Duff had had the most success of any of them prior to Guns N' Roses. While Slash and Steven were jamming in a garage, and Hollywood Rose was teetering along on the Strip, McKagan was playing in a succession of bands in Seattle's punk scene; Duff had shared a stage with Johnny Thunders; Duff had made a record - all before he made the move to LA.

I think that while underwhelming, there are a few great songs here and there Slash puts out. That being said there is not a single person (Axl included) who's songwriting didn't suffer by simply not having the magical combination of guys to help turn those songs into something even cooler:

- Slash has the riffs and solos but not the right singer to help with vocal melodies and lyrics as well as someone to collaborate with and really challenge Slash stylistically

- Axl has the voice, basic songwriting skills, piano, and charisma but doesn't have a band like the Appetite lineup or Illusion lineup to elevate those ideas musically

- Duff has the attitude, charisma, and a good sense of rhythm bass and guitar wise but doesn't have the vocal chops or songwriting chops

- Izzy has cool ideas and has a cool style but is like Keith Richards - you need a Mick Jagger and a Mick Taylor (Axl and Slash) to make those ideas into something amazing

- Steven has the drum sound. Well I am sure there is something else to him but that is all I got

Absolutely flawless summary. Let's just end it here.

with the exception of duff's vocal comment. Listening to Sick and Beleive in me in particular you can hear he has a really strong and varied vocal capability. From the softness of Wasted Heart up to things like Fucked Up beyond belief

Duff sings better than today's Axl Rose, but, then again, so does probably Slash and Adler.

Yeah bro! vocally, Slash is much better. Just listen to his work on Just Sixteen and Buick Mackane!

They can do Queen esque harmonies with that kind of ability. No need for Axl. he'll just hold them back with his shitty helium voice. Adler is the secret weapon. Roger Taylor gave him vocal lessons so now he can do the FOR MEEEEEEEEEE!!! high as fuck notes. Only it's got that stroke quality to it so you can't quite understand what the fuck he's on about but it sounds cool!

Edited by Rovim

They just sing within their range. Axl set the bar pretty high in the 90s. Then with CD took it to inhuman levels. Can anyone sing If the World live like the record even with the aid of cocaine helium? If the world was based solely on rock n roll culture and you got the chair for praising Poison, you're punishment would be death by There was a Time. You'd have to sing There was a Time once, a painful certain death awaits all wrong doers.

Edited by wasted