Teacher thread

AxlsMainMan

American Literature and one Mythology class.

So without a Google search, can you list the Greek god's names and their Roman name counterparts? Let's just stick with the top 5......

I would certainly hope so. I used to teach an undergrad course in mythology when I was in grad school, so I'm relatively well versed in it.

:heart: Creon.

The only teacher I ever had any respect for was my Year 11 English teacher. He would come to school in jeans and a leather motorcycle jacket and played guitar in a cult band called TISM (This Is Serious Mum). They were basically anonymous because they played their gigs with paper bags on their heads.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TISM

Promo pic:

They upgraded to latex masks for this special photo shoot. :lol:

2nm0je8.jpg

My teacher is the guy in the middle. The frontman. :awesomeface:

Edited by Redhead74
  • Like 1

What demographic of students do you deal with?

Mostly white middle class students from agrarian backgrounds or with parents who are prison guards or work in construction.

Does anyone know what it's like to be a shitty teacher who can't command the respect of inner city students? I always felt like that'd be such a sad existence.

Commanding respect isn't always the biggest issue. A lot of high school students simply have no interest in learning or being in a classroom environment, and that's often more soul-crushing than a student being disrespectful.

American Literature and one Mythology class.

Wow, you're lucky. Teaching a course on American Literature would probably be my dream job. Have you ever used:

"A Rose for Emily" by William Faulkner

"Hills Like White Elephants" by Ernest Hemingway

"Babylon Revisited" by F. Scott Fitzgerald

"A Perfect Day for Bananafish" by J.D. Salinger

"Cathedral" by Raymond Carver

I used these for a unit on short stories for a Grade 10 English class last year and the students generally responded to them quite well.

Does anyone know what it's like to be a shitty teacher who can't command the respect of inner city students? I always felt like that'd be such a sad existence.

That could have been me two weeks ago but it's been going great so far.

I have that mental trick to get in condition. I basically act and make myself feel as though they already like and respect me and, well, so far they kinda do.

One of my colleagues is a slightly older girl who started teaching in this school this year too and the kids are horrible to her. It's basically hell on Earth for her.

When you are a teacher, kids are basically acting like mirrors. They show you how you feel about yourself. If you are unsure that they will respect you, they won't. If you believe they will respect you, then they will overall.

I've done all of those except Babylon. Gatsby the past couple years for Fitzgerald. It's obvious, but it's obvious for a reason.

You sound like an excellent teacher :headbang:

If you ever run short on time for Fitzgerald, I highly recommend Babylon or Winter Dreams which is basically the 20 page version of Gatsby.

I think rowdy kids are way easier to deal with for male teachers. Most women don't have the natural authority that men do.

There are definite benefits to being a female teacher though. This week while supply teaching kindergarten a female student didn't make it to the bathroom on time and asked for me to help her get changed and I definitely didn't want to be in that position and called a female co-worker to deal with it.

I think rowdy kids are way easier to deal with for male teachers. Most women don't have the natural authority that men do.

There are definite benefits to being a female teacher though. This week while supply teaching kindergarten a female student didn't make it to the bathroom on time and asked for me to help her get changed and I definitely didn't want to be in that position and called a female co-worker to deal with it.

How is that a benefit for your female co-worker exactly? :lol:

I've done all of those except Babylon. Gatsby the past couple years for Fitzgerald. It's obvious, but it's obvious for a reason.

You sound like an excellent teacher :headbang:

If you ever run short on time for Fitzgerald, I highly recommend Babylon or Winter Dreams which is basically the 20 page version of Gatsby.

Nice of you to say.

Who knows, maybe I'll switch it up and do Babylon this year. I've already restructured the course to focus more on short stories.

Right or wrong, it pays off when the rowdy males are physically intimidated in the back of their minds. I have no problem with most of them, but I also have no problem inserting myself right in their personal space if they get out of hand. They get silent real quick. Start looking down at their feet like the submissive bitches I intend to show their classmates they are. :lol:

Right or wrong, it pays off when the rowdy males are physically intimidated in the back of their minds. I have no problem with most of them, but I also have no problem inserting myself right in their personal space if they get out of hand. They get silent real quick. Start looking down at their feet like the submissive bitches I intend to show their classmates they are. :lol:

Yeah, same here. If they start to get out of hand, I just put a hand on their shoulder and tell them to get back to their school work, and it works every time.

Yeah, same here. If they start to get out of hand, I just put a hand on their shoulder and tell them to get back to their school work, and it works every time.

It probably helps that your hand is basically a fuckin' ham with a wrist. :lol:

It probably helps that your hand is basically a fuckin' ham with a wrist. :lol:

It's funny how they respond to someone who looks like they lift. I've worked there for almost a year now, and they still ask me what I bench. :lol:

I've a PhD in American Literature

Lecture/Tutor on the likes of Gatsby/Hemingway/Greene - Beat Generation - New Journalism (Hunter S. Thompson, Tom Wolfe, Joan Didion)

Also Drama - Ibsen, Miller & Irish Drama

Romantic Lit - Wordsworth, Coleridge, Byron, Keats, Shelley

Gothic Lit - Shelley, Walpole, Stoker

And some freshman stuff on Joyce

Writing like a madman at the moment for a book project. My head is fucking wrecked.

Do Irish undergrads understand Joyce better than American undergrads? :lol:

What's the book project?

American undergrads try harder because so much of it is totally alien to them. They do the readings and research much more than the Irish students.

I think they are overall more interested. The Irish students "get it" but are lazier when it comes to doing the research. However they tend to have better writing skills so it all gets balanced out in the end. Of course there are exceptions to both sets of students.

The book project is on Hunter S. Thompson. I don't want to give much away yet.

• Like 1