Teacher thread

AxlsMainMan

I've finished preparing for next week's reading project, so I think I'll have a nice, cold beer now. We're gonna have a grammar test the same week, so I'll start working on that on Thursday. Should be fun grading my first test, especially seeing how the class is fairly academically strong.

Sex ed is a part of Science here, as it should be. :)

Right, probably had it in biology too... In religion, it was more about sex in the sense of relationships, love... not the purely biological aspects. I remember we were asked to write all kinds of words on the blackboard we had for male and female genitals. When suddenly the principal (priest) entered. :lol: That was fun.

Who did he enter?

I've kind of been considering doing stuff I never saw myself doing lately like parenting and teaching kids.

I think it could be cool. I would get a nice speaker system set up in my room and hook up Spotify/import my library.

I dropped out in the 11th grade. How do you get a job as a teacher? I'll just teach art. That's not hard right? You just show up with some clay or something?

I can't deal with gross little kids. Though highschoolers seem intimidating. Middle school seems like the best option.

• Like 1

Not for like two years. I never really knew how to play anyways. I just dicked around a little. I wouldn't be able to teach anyone anything. I could read music when I was like 10 but I don't remember any more. I fuck around on keys a little.

What about history? You just tell them to read the textbooks, right? I mean isn't that basically it? Throw a documentary on every now and then. That's basically all I recall about history.

Where do I sign up? Is college necessary? Will they check? If I can just get an interview I could convince them to hire me. Do I stand a chance?

Edit: Fuck this.

Edited by Broskirose
  • Like 1

I got the job. I'll be teaching Norwegian and Religion (which also includes humanism, atheism, etc., in case anyone wondered if I've found Jesus). It's gonna be a lot of hard work these next few months, with both college and a steady teaching position, but I'll make it.

Do you work with a lot of special needs students? I particularly enjoy and find working with students with autism to be rewarding.

I got the job. I'll be teaching Norwegian and Religion (which also includes humanism, atheism, etc., in case anyone wondered if I've found Jesus). It's gonna be a lot of hard work these next few months, with both college and a steady teaching position, but I'll make it.

Do you work with a lot of special needs students? I particularly enjoy and find working with students with autism to be rewarding.

A few. The ones with autism can be really challenging if they don't have an assistant around and you have to get them on track while simultaneously making sure the rest of the class is doing okay.

I've found that a lot of my history/social studies teachers abuse their position if they get the chance to talk about American politics/government.

Most American high schoolers know jack shit about politics or government and when an authority figure who is seen as intelligent, like their teacher, throws any opinion at them, they soak it up. The thing is, if the following period, another teacher stated the exact opposite opinion, most of those kids would then leave agreeing with that teacher.

I have this African American History teacher (required class in Philadelphia) who does a lot of it and I was just wondering what some of you teachers thought about it.

A few. The ones with autism can be really challenging if they don't have an assistant around and you have to get them on track while simultaneously making sure the rest of the class is doing okay.

It's definitely that way in kindergarten, but in high school they're just painfully slow at finishing work as they get consumed by the size of their periods or the the dots in the letter "i"

I've found that a lot of my history/social studies teachers abuse their position if they get the chance to talk about American politics/government.

Most American high schoolers know jack shit about politics or government and when an authority figure who is seen as intelligent, like their teacher, throws any opinion at them, they soak it up. The thing is, if the following period, another teacher stated the exact opposite opinion, most of those kids would then leave agreeing with that teacher.

I have this African American History teacher (required class in Philadelphia) who does a lot of it and I was just wondering what some of you teachers thought about it.

I was taught that a teacher's opinion or bias has no place in the classroom. Students may ask for my opinion on an historical issue or person, but I just tell them that my opinion doesn't matter; only there's does.

According to Facebook, today is Teacher's Day! So... congrats to all teachers here, I suppose. Keep up the good work :)

Thanks, Lio ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna grade papers this weekend again. We've been talking a lot about symbols, metaphors and contrasts so I'm really excited to see if the kids have understood those concepts and have been able to use them in their papers.

Have you tried teaching similes and metaphors through music? I've used this video with Grade 7 - 12 and they all seem to respond well to this instructional strategy:

Edited by AxlsMainMan
  • Like 1

This class is in ninth grade.

1. What do you find really fulfilling about it?

2. How many hours do you do?

3. How much would you earn? (In comparison to other professionals, that is)

I'm not being a cunt for no reason here :lol: I'm considering joining your ranks.

Edited by Johnny Drama

I've been doing a unit on pumpkins with my kindergarteners and am enjoying trying to combine as many subjects as possible into a single lesson. For example, I was able to use pumpkins as a segue to art, science and math yesterday:

• Show the class a pumpkin and ask them what it is. Ask them general questions about pumpkins (what’s inside, color, shape texture, etc.) and record their observations on large chart paper.
  • Ask the class to raise their hands if they think a small pumpkin will sink or float when placed in water. Record their guesses and then carry out the experiment in front of them.
  • Show the class how to do a rubbing with a sheet of paper and crayon on an uneven surface.
  • Divide the class in half. Have half the class with the ECE working on art where students will have the circular outline of a pumpkin on sheet of paper and they’re challenged to go and place their outline on various uneven surfaces around the classroom and rub over top with a crayon to create a variety of textures on their sheet (similar to the variety of textures on a real pumpkin).
  • The other half of the class will remain on the carpet where in groups they will estimate the height and circumference of a pumpkin using various manipulables in the classroom for units of measurement (plastic chains, Lego, math cubes, etc.) and record their estimates. They will then measure the height and circumference of a pumpkin using their chosen manipulables and compare their findings to their original estimates. Students will switch between the 2 activities as they finish and are free to go play if they finish both tasks and time permits.
Edited by AxlsMainMan
  • Like 1

This class is in ninth grade.

1. What do you find really fulfilling about it?

2. How many hours do you do?

3. How much would you earn?

I'm not being a cunt for no reason here :lol: I'm considering joining your ranks.

1. In short - I love being able to make a difference in their lives and being a part of their academic growth.

2. I'm in class teaching 13 hours a week, but that's not counting the time I spend grading papers, preparing classes, etc. I also still sub for other teachers.

3. I earn like $3k a month.

I thought you liked being an accountant?