If you died and your account here was found after your death

GivenToFly

A morbid question!

Most everyone will leave a digital footprint once they die, but I'm not so sure who will bother reading up on it... Maybe there is something to be said with today's generation putting more emphasis on how they come across online that in real life, and in a sense you could say that by posting our lives and thoughts online, we are writing our own obituaries of sorts, leaving a digital 'tombstone' of sorts. Some people even go as far as leaving messages online, think about the L.A. kid who went on a fatal killing spree after uploading youtube videos and even writing a lengthy explanation why he did it.

Having read what the NSA and google have for algorithms collecting our data, currently every site and service you are registered on is linked somewhere by a database, compiling a 'profile' of you. It's the downside of an internet without rights and legislation. Zero privacy. Personally I'm not as bothered by what people will read after I'm dead, more of what they will read today (think of job screening).

Don't forget that on the internet, there are already 'database cemeteries' of old fora and newsgroups, do you still read those? I do admit that I've read the odd older thread from this board, but ultimately there's just so much stuff and millions added each nanosecond. Too much information.

Broskirose makes a good point, who cares?

Not to get back to the fappening, but I must, what if Jennifer Lawrence had died the week before those pictures got leaked? Do you think people would still check them out?

• Like 1

I'd honestly hate if anyone in real life ever found out I've spent the last ten years on different communities discussing GNR. I've said so many things on these forums too that I hope they'll never find out. Private matters of different kinds. I'd be dead, yeah, so it couldn't possibly affect me, but the mere thought makes me cringe. I don't want them to know about my inner thoughts.

• Like 2

Don't worry, I will make them delete your account. Just be sure, I know when you are dead

But only if you promise to do the same for me :lol:

I think, I should ask for some adresses, so they get cards when I am dead.;)

Edited by MB.

Do you think those reading your posts would get a right idea of who you are as a person? Would you be ok with this being part of your legacy? Would you want your loved ones to read your posts here?

I think so

I am passionate about things, but my attention sways.

They would probably assume I committed suicide.

With that said I am working and high on antidepressants so hopefully that impression is turned around.

Everyone has a value.

You are expressive, I believe you could write a good book, maybe that is your calling if you have the patience.

I was thinking of diaries. Some people keep them and sometimes after they die other people would read them and find out things about the decease they'd never known. I've never kept a diary but I've got 6000 posts here where I give my opinion on different topics and sometimes talk about events in my life, so in a way it serves as a diary.

On a related note, isn't it a bit weird how we go through famous dead people's diaries, notes, letters, personal effects, really private stuff and we put in museums.

Wouldn't care so much about my posts, I'm not really pretentious about my life. There are a few people from here who have been a really important part of my life, so I'd like some way their friendships could be acknowledged.

I do have a small list of posters here who I would love to meet before I die. And a few more who I'd love to keep meeting. :)

I don't mean to say I act very different on here to how I do in real life. In fact I don't. Or well, I do, but probably not like you think, that I've created a whole persona that's completely different from the real me.

Am I racist in real life? Yeah, I don't like most people from other countries. It is what it is, hate me if you want, but I'll respect anyone who respects me and my country, independent on colour or origin. I don't pretend I like people I don't like in real life, I just avoid them. I guess this is my most significant forum characteristics, so make what you want of it.

The biggest difference between here and real life for me is that I'm a lot more open here on the internet than in real life. In real life I'm closed, I don't talk about my feelings a lot, I don't say what's on my mind if nobody asks me. I'm the guy that will sit down and listen while the other people around the table in the lunch room are talking about what they like or don't like. Not because I am ashamed of what my opinions are, like I've said before, I'll say pretty much anything that's on my mind if I'm asked. I don't really filter a lot and a lot of the time people don't like what I say. Big deal. I couldn't care less. The reason I don't talk a lot about it in real life is because I'm introvert. I hate having to talk to people in groups. One on one I've no problems at all. I just hate when five pair of eyes are looking at me and want my opinion on something. I don't like being in the center of attention in real life, which I guess you could argue I do on here.

I'd have more to say, but I have to get going now. Hockey time! :D

My brother posts on here anyway, sister probably wouldn't give a toss, my last bird knew i posted on here, used to have a peek too, i remember her saying one of the lads on here was quite fit, the fuckin' cow. Can't remember for the life of me who it was. One of the mods though :lol: I don't think anyone'd care.

My brother posts on here anyway, sister probably wouldn't give a toss, my last bird knew i posted on here, used to have a peek too, i remember her saying one of the lads on here was quite fit, the fuckin' cow. Can't remember for the life of me who it was. One of the mods though :lol: I don't think anyone'd care.

I bet she meant Black Sabbath :lol:

Your brother ? Does he post regularly ?

Y'know what, thats exactly who she meant, yes!! :lol: Yeah, my brothers streak. He's not as verbose as me, bless him but he's about sometimes, here and there. Did you just accidentally admit to fancying Black Sabbath? You behave yourself young lady, you're married! :lol:

Edited by Lennie Godber

I just told you, streak, his names streak, he's got an avatar with James Belushi and some fuckin' actor who plays a minor character, a pimp, in Red Heat, apparently this small incidental character in a naff 80s action flick made a profound impression on him, i think it had something to do with his having his fingers broken by Arnold Schwarzenegger til he cried :lol: