Slash's response to Gene Simmons "Rock Is Dead"

Tom-Ass

I like rock music, but I can't think of a new rock band I heard that I really liked...I'm not aware of any good hard rock bands emerging since the late 90's/early 2000s ( that weren't projects by previously established guys, like Velvet Revolver)

I mean, the best hard rock albums of 2014 are by Ace Frehley and Slash, guys that have been at it for four or three decades...

• Like 2

U2 made an appearance in the middle of a worldwide launch so that level of promotion isn't going to happen for a lower billed band doing a festival gig.

Gene seems to be oblivious to what's going on in music and is prone to make blanket statements. I don't know if Slash actually listens to what kind of music is out there now, or just busy doing his own thing.

I like rock music, but I can't think of a new rock band I heard that I really liked...I'm not aware of any good hard rock bands emerging since the late 90's/early 2000s

Hard rock is a sub genre of rock and it's one that's dried up and died. Unless you're talking about old bands with old fans, it's entirely gone. Teengers still love rock and they still love metal but the ones that due are the outcasts which is what rock was ORIGINALLY about... rebellion. I think we all (us older fans) got spoiled to this idea of rock being mainstream and popular during the mid 80's through the mid 90's but it really was a short lived idea.

Rock is for the pissed off, disenfranchised and angry... not the honor roll student. Let those people HAVE their Taylor Swift and Drake.

Today's country is more rocking than today's so called "rock and roll" is.

You have to listen to metal now if you want rebellion and/or balls in your music. Machinehead for instance has taken on the church, social injustice and war mongering on their last two albums. What you want is out there, but it's underground.

In Slash's defense, he's done as much as he can to get it out there. He talks about bands he likes (Gojira) and he takes excellent bands out on tour with him. He introduced me to Hillbilly Herald who are really great, and I believe he also had Monster Truck open for him once. And, I'll be in the minority, but he also had a great indie band Foxy Shazam open for him for a leg of a tour. So I give Slash a lot of credit for getting new bands out there, because he can't really do much more than have them support him.

And Hillbilly Herald is supporting his 3 LA shows next year so clearly there's a connection there. He really cares about his openers, which I've never really seen before. And another one I just thought of was Taddy Porter! They were a great band that Myles and Slash really liked.

I like rock music, but I can't think of a new rock band I heard that I really liked...I'm not aware of any good hard rock bands emerging since the late 90's/early 2000s

Hard rock is a sub genre of rock and it's one that's dried up and died. Unless you're talking about old bands with old fans, it's entirely gone. Teengers still love rock and they still love metal but the ones that due are the outcasts which is what rock was ORIGINALLY about... rebellion. I think we all (us older fans) got spoiled to this idea of rock being mainstream and popular during the mid 80's through the mid 90's but it really was a short lived idea.

Rock is for the pissed off, disenfranchised and angry... not the honor roll student. Let those people HAVE their Taylor Swift and Drake.

You have to listen to metal now if you want rebellion and/or balls in your music. Machinehead for instance has taken on the church, social injustice and war mongering on their last two albums. What you want is out there, but it's underground.

http://youtu.be/isLqoB3v_wI

http://youtu.be/ve8sNTqrzCw

http://youtu.be/I_P-YNJIdNc

The defense rests.

http://youtu.be/isLqoB3v_wI

http://youtu.be/ve8sNTqrzCw

http://youtu.be/I_P-YNJIdNc

The defense rests.

I'm sorry but when you use progressional song writers and pose as an artist, your credibility goes out of the window.

I like rock music, but I can't think of a new rock band I heard that I really liked...I'm not aware of any good hard rock bands emerging since the late 90's/early 2000s ( that weren't projects by previously established guys, like Velvet Revolver)

I mean, the best hard rock albums of 2014 are by Ace Frehley and Slash, guys that have been at it for four or three decades...

Halestorm, the pretty reckless, alter Bridge are all very good on record and live. California Breed also has a good album out.

In Slash's defense, he's done as much as he can to get it out there. He talks about bands he likes (Gojira) and he takes excellent bands out on tour with him. He introduced me to Hillbilly Herald who are really great, and I believe he also had Monster Truck open for him once. And, I'll be in the minority, but he also had a great indie band Foxy Shazam open for him for a leg of a tour. So I give Slash a lot of credit for getting new bands out there, because he can't really do much more than have them support him.

And Hillbilly Herald is supporting his 3 LA shows next year so clearly there's a connection there. He really cares about his openers, which I've never really seen before. And another one I just thought of was Taddy Porter! They were a great band that Myles and Slash really liked.

I know monster truck opened for alter Bridge when I saw them and they were very good, just like some of the other bands you mentioned.