Discuss your ABSOLUTE favorite songs

Broskirose

Discuss your absolute favorite songs - like songs that are in your top 10 or whatever. It doesn't have to be something you consider an all time classic or anything. Just songs that are your personal favorites, for whatever reason. I'll start off with two of mine.

Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman

Randy Rhoads had a terrible haircut, but unless I'm forgetting someone he's the best 80s guitarist there was hands down (which is pretty impressive considering he only lived until 1982). This song is his finest work. The culmination of his classical background combined with Ozzy's "I'm crazy!!" heavy metal.

Every part of this song is perfect. The acoustic classical intro, the RIFF from hell, the guitar during the verses, the orchestral middle section, the buildup, the riff before the solo (which is in my opinion the best guitar riff ever), the solo, the way Ozzy's voice cracks on the final verse - EVERYTHING. Fucking everything.

I confess I don't listen to it often. When I do it's usually at night in the car. But it'll always be held in the highest regard for me. I've gotten goosebumps listening to this song on multiple occasions. I know the lyrics can be viewed as kind of cheesy and stupid, but idgaf. It's amazing.

Nine Inch Nails - Me, I'm Not

Musically this is very different from the last song I posted, yet I find that my reasons for loving it are similar. It's all the pieces coming together to make something brilliant. But it's much more subtle and nuanced here.

It's all set among a one note bassline that just trudges along the whole time as layers come in and build on top and underneath. There's so much going on. Very rewarding with a good sound system or headphones. I hear new things in it every time I listen. Whether it be little percussion stuff like the high hat hits during the chorus or the crazy glitch electronics. Something about this tune puts me in a fucking trance every time. The way Reznor's voice cracks into a falsetto or falls to a whisper. The drop at the end. I could go on...

It's hypnotic and haunting. I played it for my friend once while he smoked some weed in the woods and he described it as sounding like he was trekking through Vietnam. Sometimes I feel like the answer to life itself is embedded somewhere within the depths of this song.

I'll try to think of some other tunes later. Anyways, what are some of your favorite songs?

• Like 2

I like Kellogs Rice Krispies because....they go snap crackle and pop! :D

OK, no, i love Trouble Man becaaaaause it's cool. Like tailor made suit cool, it's just slick, like a smokey jazz club cool, there's pain to it, it's bluesy (self explanatory, subject matter), it's about woe basically but it doesn't wail about it it whispers about it, the drumming is so light, so subtle and ol' gram-an-hour Marv's voice is just sublime as always, just gliding over the melody because he's Marv' and this is his world and you're just another tourist. It has the invisible weight of the pain of centuries to it, taxes death and trouble children, Marv' is trying to tell you something :)

But it has a kind of a cool you wanna strut to too, it's like mood music but way too potent to be lumped in with like, mindless ambient stuff, it has the power of the rhythm and blues at it's core and one of the best singers ever born in the driving seat.

Edited by Lennie Godber
  • Like 1

These are some of my all time favourites:

Prince - All My Dreams

Michael Jackson - Morphine

Tori Amos - iieee

Guns N Roses - Jungle

Neil Young - Out On The Weekend

Alice Cooper Band - Black JuJu

Black Sabbath - War Pigs

Morrissey - Art Hounds

The Smiths - Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

Kate Bush - Sunset

Van Hunt - At The End Of A Slow Dance

Edited by Towelie

1. It's So Easy - first taste of vinyl danger.

2. Caffeine - Satan is raised and burned.

3. Smells Like Teen Spirit - undeniable genius.

4. Motorcycle Emptiness - song that meant something to me.

5. Champagne Supernova - Best drinking song

6. Queen of the Highway - Believe the myth

7. Torn and Frayed - helps you through

8. Down by the Seaside - ancient and wise

9. Coffee and TV - a song written about me

10. Eye of the Tiger - you know it

Long before I became a U2 fan I actually really disliked them. I remember driving home from hockey one night in December 1994 and this song came on the radio. I was kinda half asleep but I remember the dream like atmosphere of the song grabbed me almost instantly. I kinda drifted away into the song while leaning up against the window in the back seat of the car. I had never heard it before or least I didn't remember ever hearing it before. Either way this was the first time I HEARD it. I remember thinking it sounded like Bono but I wasn't even remotely knowledgable enough about U2 to be sure. I remembered the lyrics "who's gonna ride your wild horses" though and I asked a friend the next day if they knew that song and they said yeah it's U2. I always loved that song but never became a U2 fan until Pop in 1997. Not being a U2 fan and not having youtube back then it was kinda like the song that got away. Almost like if you were to meet the girl of your dreams one night, talk to her briefly and feel this amazing connection but then somehow fail to get her phone number. Over the years since becoming a big U2 fan I've drifted back to that song and it was always in the top 10 for me as far as their songs went. I now consider it my all time favourite song. It took a while for it to reach that status though. I had to become a U2 fan first I guess and then have my favourite songs of theirs from the 80s and 90s but over time that song seems to encompass all that is U2. If you were to throw U2 of the 80s in blender with U2 of the 90s this song is what you'd get. It's the best song they've ever done in my opinion and it's my ABSOLUTE favourite song

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

I don't know what the fuck happened to these guys after their first couple albums, but they were my favorite band for a good 3-4 years. This is Spencer Krug's band. His other band that some of you might have heard of is Wolf Parade. His other other stuff is done under Moonface. Wolf Parade's first album is great. Moonface sucks. This is my favorite song from Sunset Rubdown. Just a carnival of awesome.

But this also might be my favorite Sunset Rubdown song. :lol: It has made me cry on multiple occasions.

Or maybe this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx_x_pMk_pg

• Like 1

It's hypnotic and haunting. I played it for my friend once while he smoked some weed in the woods and he described it as sounding like he was trekking through Vietnam. Sometimes I feel like the answer to life itself is embedded somewhere within the depths of this song.

My fave NIN record to listen to whilst sailing in the ether so to speak is With Teeth, the last two on there, Beside You In Time and Right Where It Belongs (which I take it is about solipsism) are particularly provocative/evocative in that kinda state of mind, enthralling whilst sober of course but the times I've heard that conclusion to such a monumental piece of recording as that album and in a appropriately influenced context to rapport with such layered and suggestive pieces have been sublime. I've been listening to them long before and after and they were already powerful as fuck as a tandem, those two are def. up there in my faves.

• Like 1

My fave NIN record to listen to whilst sailing in the ether so to speak is With Teeth, the last two on there, Beside You In Time and Right Where It Belongs (which I take it is about solipsism) are particularly provocative/evocative in that kinda state of mind, enthralling whilst sober of course but the times I've heard that conclusion to such a monumental piece of recording as that album and in a appropriately influenced context to rapport with such layered and suggestive pieces have been sublime. I've been listening to them long before and after and they were already powerful as fuck as a tandem, those two are def. up there in my faves.

Beside You In Time is fucking immense. Just absolutely beautiful music with an amazing climax.

• Like 1

Billy Joel - The Stranger

I adore this song. The sly backstreet alley piano intro, the bass, the lyrics...just fantastic. There's a certain groove to the verses that just fucking gets me going every time.

Billy Joel - Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out on Broadway)

I debated on whether to post the studio version or the much more lively, well, live version from Songs in the Attic. I went with the studio version. I think it's the worst produced and mixed song Billy Joel has ever released. Yet I feel like it's sort of part of the charm.

• Like 2

Billy Joel - The Stranger

I adore this song. The sly backstreet alley piano intro, the bass, the lyrics...just fantastic. There's a certain groove to the verses that just fucking gets me going every time.

Billy Joel - Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out on Broadway)

I debated on whether to post the studio version or the much more lively, well, live version from Songs in the Attic. I went with the studio version. I think it's the worst produced and mixed song Billy Joel has ever released. Yet I feel like it's sort of part of the charm.

I adore The Stranger. One of my all-time favourite songs also. Especially when he goes into the last verse with, "You may never understand..." and sings it with a bit more intensity. That song gets me every single time I listen to it.

Edited by Zeppelin
  • Like 1