So I've decided to read the Quran

Georgy Zhukov

You need more people.

No, thank you. I hate people. Besides, I want to read up on this stuff and others and teach my daughter when she's older. Make her a tolerant person.

I don't believe you.

*IMAGE REMOVED for no eyes can look upon the Prophet Georgy*

What now?

Fuck, that is backwards.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

I don't need to read it to know its fine as a book of ideas that isn't used to control people or start wars. I'm tolerate to a point but trigger happy on the nukes. People should read science books or learning how to use a TV remote first. Bitches can't even set a microwave right reading the bible and telling me ill be saved? You best not be telling me how to roll. Learn to boil an egg goddamned it.

• Like 1

I've read the first sura. So far nothing about killing infidels unless they are attacking you why they are in worship or on hajj. Even then, if they are there and not attacking you, do not attack them or kill them. It is said many times "Do not overstep boundaries" ones laid by God. Also interesting to see that Jews and Christians are forgiven as anyone who seeks God will find God. Islam puts them on a direct path but any path toward God will lead them to God.

Ready to dive deeper into this subject.

• Like 1

I was baptized a Christian and aside from the biblical classes where they shoved the same old tales and parables from the bible down my throat (well at least it wasn't a dick given the church's track record), I never bothered reading it nor would I ever want to. Same for the Quran, both books have antiquated and contradictory philosophies that I find any enlightened person today would have no need for and is best to regard as a curiosity of a time when man still believed the earth was flat.

Edited by Bumblefeet
  • Like 3

I've read the first sura. So far nothing about killing infidels unless they are attacking you why they are in worship or on hajj. Even then, if they are there and not attacking you, do not attack them or kill them. It is said many times "Do not overstep boundaries" ones laid by God. Also interesting to see that Jews and Christians are forgiven as anyone who seeks God will find God. Islam puts them on a direct path but any path toward God will lead them to God.

Ready to dive deeper into this subject.

I have read it a long time ago (well most of it, like 20 years ago). It's hard to read, cause it are all rules basicly. If you want to know more, you also have to read the explaining books supporting it.

But the book itself is not very different from the old testament. It never says in the beginning about killing people with other religions. Also you have to respect other people with another religion, cause they can't help it, they believe in books changed by men. Just lead them to the true faith. Killing another muslim is highly forbidden and will exclude you from entering heaven. In the beginning the book is more spiritual and later more about war. This can be explained, cause in the beginning he wasn't a ruler yet.

I have also looked for women wearing niqabs or burka's and couldn't find it. It only says a women should cover up to wrist and to ankles and the hair, but how it doesn't say. And not dress seductive. So basicly wearing a jeans, sweater and a hijab should do it as well imo. Probably burka's and Niqabs were just for protection against the sand :shrugs:

All these books of the three big religions are clearly written for men and not for women though.

Later in the book it's more harsh and the supporting explenation books are different in tone, also more harsh. But I haven't read all. Also culture and religion are mixed too often in the vision of non muslims about the book.

With all old religions it's clearly written for that time period. The world has progressed and a lot is too dated and doesn't fit in our new world. To hold on to those rules/books is silly imo. But I don't have a religion, I just wanted to know more. I have read the Torah and bible as well.

Edited by MB.

I was baptized a Christian and aside from the biblical classes where they shoved the same old tales and parables from the bible down my throat (well at least it wasn't a dick given the church's track record), I never bothered reading it nor would I ever want to. Same for the Quran, both books have antiquated and contradictory philosophies that I find any enlightened person today would have no need for and is best to regard as a curiosity of a time when man still believed the earth was flat.

I don't like this mindset at all. So should we not read great philosophers if we can find "contradictions" in their work? There's contradiction in everything. Absolutely everything. In fact, two of our greatest philosophers, Hegel and Marx, although Marx was maybe more of an historian and economist, saw the entirety of human history as determined and led by contradiction. Hegel knew better than to eliminate them completely. Marx didn't, and that's where he went wrong. Enlightenment, non contradiction and such, if you knew the history of such terms and what they've led to, you might not be so quick to dichotomize human intellectual history. I'm not saying follow the "good books," but if you don't think you can learn and grow from reading them, then I'd argue you've never really been reading anything at all, just skimming for whatever makes easy sense and doesn't "contradict" itself.

Edited by magisme
  • Like 1